Chapter 57: Before the Royal Court
1.9k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A servant led them to the great hall, they would be going straight to the royal court. Sessions started in the morning and ended before noon. Their travel had been specifically timed so that they would arrive in the morning rather than the afternoon. Braydon did not have any property in the capital, another thing that had been inherited by his brother. He did not trust staying in a tavern in the capital before this matter was sorted. 

As they entered the great hall, there were many faces. Much more than Braydon’s first visit, almost any lord that was free had decided to watch what was about to happen. It was not often that such matters happened after all. Noble ladies running away from engagements was a once or twice in a generation thing. And being able to end the matter honourably was unheard of. Of course there were also those who had come in hopes of at least one side being disgraced.

“Viscount Fiton of Cliforge and Lady Nela Burgess of Calton have arrived!” Their entrance was announced as the large door opened. The cry had clearly silenced all conversation as eyes turned to look at them.

“It feels more like we are exotic exhibits than fellow nobles.” Braydon whispered to Nela as he escorted her through the hall. Greeting the king was an essential part of court procedure; being part of his faction, they were not about to break rank. Braydon even noticed one or two ladies standing around. 

Most noblewomen stayed away from the ‘men's club’ that the royal court was. Even ladies who held titles in their own right did not take much joy in participating, he spotted one or two that he recognised. The highest rank lady to hold her own title, Countess Lani Graham, had even shown up. If he remembered rightly, this was the first court session she had actually attended since inheriting her position. She was also unique in that she had married a commoner, though Braydon was unsure if that was for love or to maintain her position rather than de facto give it up to some noble husband. There were even rumours that it was a marriage in name only and that she had a female lover, though Braydon was sure that this was purely salacious. 

“Well noble life for most of these people is somewhat boring.” Nela sarcastically replied. While she enjoyed taking the mick out of her friends in Cliforge, she did not enjoy the gossip and rumour mongering that took up most aristocrats’ time. Though in this one case she prefered there to be more people in the hopes that Earl Blake would get utterly humiliated.

“Greetings, Your Majesty.” “It is my pleasure to see you, Your Majesty.”

Braydon bowed slightly and Nela curtsied to the King. Nela stood by his side rather than several steps forward to befit her father’s rank. As she had not arrived with her father and she had not yet inherited her position, she had to stand by the highest ranked person to escort her. In this case, it was a viscount, instead of a Marquess.

“You both may rise. It has been a while since I last saw either of you; more so for yourself, Lady Nela.” Aled looked like he had been anticipating what was about to happen, he had obviously received Braydon’s letter and it was not long before he had a servant retrieved it.

“Since the people in question have arrived, how about we continue our earlier discussion. Though I would like to, first, ask Viscount Braydon and Lady Nela about the contents of this letter.” Aled opened with this causing murmurs to start across the hall. They had been talking about the matter that had happened earlier, but the King had mentioned nothing of a letter from Cliforge in the discussion. In fact he had not said much at all, it had mostly been arguing back and forth between nobles from Earl Blake and Duke Oakley’s factions.

“What is this about? How come this matter was not brought up when we were discussing earlier, Your Highness?” Earl Blake cut in, he did not want to give Braydon and Nela a chance to speak. The more they said, the worse it would be for his son. He may have privately disciplined his son at home, but he would be his strongest defender now.

“I did not bring it up because it was a letter addressed to me personally. But the contents have some relevance and the author is now before us. Is there a problem with me not showing my personal letters before the court?” Earl Blake was squarely shut down, Aled wanted this to be discussed, and the other nobles were not going to back Blake in such an argument. 

“Of course not, I would not dare to demand your private affairs be brought before the court, Your Highness. But this concerns the private affairs of my son, I have already made a concession about it being discussed before the court. It is not just if I am the only one making concessions.” Earl Blake saw that he was getting nowhere by trying to stop things before they happened, so he tried to make a soft exit from a losing battle.

“It is hardly your son’s private affairs anymore. He did not even bother to show up personally. Not to mention he aired his dirty laundry in Viscount Fiton’s castle. I am sure that Viscount Fiton would love to tell you all about it.” True to Duke Burn’s character, he would not let conflict die down. He denied the earl a soft exit, forcing him straight into a confrontation with Braydon while embarrassing him in the process.

“Indeed, I would be most happy to share what I witnessed. Lady Nela, here, can back up all of my accounts.” Braydon responded, more than happy to cooperate with Duke Burn in starting the argument with Earl Blake. He had to be the one to talk as those without a noble title were not allowed to speak at court with a few exceptions. Greeting the King and answering questions directed to them were the only times that one was allowed to speak, with the exception of the crier who announced their entry.

Upon Braydon’s confirmation, the king started to ask questions about the content of the letter. His first question was about the declaration Braydon had made. It was not rare for a commoner to be banned from entering a noble’s lands for a crime they had committed, banishment was often preferred above execution. But declaring this about a noble heir was another matter entirely.

“You have said that should Jett Blake try to enter any lands or properties that you own, you will use force to drive him out. Is there a particular reason for that? To the best of my knowledge he only committed minor offences against you.” Aled opened with a very easy question. Though Earl Blake was dissatisfied, there was nothing he could do. It was clear that Braydon was not going to get any harsh questions from the leader of his own faction.

Hi Hi. 

Hope you didn't miss me too much yesterday (he says writing this chapter on the 18th) =P This is going to be the new norm.

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

                                                                                                   |Discord|

51