Chapter 137: A personable Man
981 2 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“In a few words? Not close.” Braydon said, still slightly surprised thinking about it. While he could reason why Rhydian was chosen, it did not mean that he thought it would be a one sided affair.

“Do you mean to say that near nobody chose Earl Downs?” Nela found that a hard to believe proposition. 

“No, there were certainly people who thought that Earl Downs would be a better choice. Just not as many as thought Rhydian was better. I’m pretty sure that it was at least two to one.” Braydon explained, while Rhydian decided not to blow his own horn. 

“Well, I am glad that there were at least some.” A voice came from behind Braydon as he said this. And to no great surprise, when Braydon turned around he saw Earl Downs had approached them.

“To be honest, I was very surprised that it turned out the way it did.” Braydon reiterated, he did not want to start a needless conflict with Earl Downs. Not after his last conflict with another noble ended up with Viscount Sharpe running off with his men.

“There is no need to show commissions, I did not come here to complain.” Earl Downs smiled when he saw Braydon try to cover himself. He was glad that Braydon did not want to lord it over him that it was Rhydian that was chosen instead of himself. It was more than he could say that most other nobles would have done.

“You argued your case well.” Rhydian decided against saying too much, he did not want to make it look like he was gloating. He had learnt how nobles read into small sentences a long time ago. The hard way. 

“Thank you, though it would seem that I did not argue quite as well as you have.” Earl Downs replied in good humour, surprising Braydon. From what he had seen of the Earl when he was debating, he had thought that the man would be more intense.

“I think that they were set in their ways before we started talking. It felt more for show once we were selected as the last two than anything I said convincing anyone.” Rhydian was still sure that it was not down to his persuasive ability.

“Your reputation is more than persuasive enough to convince many.” Earl Downs complimented Rhydian, he evidently held Rhydian in quite high regard. It was hard to not think well of Rhydian considering his reputation on the battlefield. Braydon had only ever heard scholars think badly of Rhydian, more because they looked down on all knights than anything that he had done.

“I told you so.” Braydon knew that Rhydian thought differently, but he was certain that a number of the lords who supported him did so because of his reputation on the field of battle.

“Anyway… Is there anything else that I am needed for? Else, I will start preparing to command the combined army.” Rhydian decided not to argue with Braydon on that point, moving his attention to more important matters. 

*sigh*

“I know you are right but I feel like you are avoiding the topic we were talking about.” Braydon knew that it was better if Rhydian started preparing as soon as possible but he could not help but feel like the latter was using it to get out of the conversation.

“Then I will take my leave, Sire.” Rhydian saluted before turning around and leaving.

“He really doesn’t think that he has an impressive reputation does he? Earl Downs asked when he saw that Rhydian had left.

“I honestly do not understand why. He is one of the most self assured people that I know.” Braydon was still confused about it. Rhydian was not the sort to get bashful about his achievements nor was he a particularly shy person but for some reason he never thought that he had an impressive reputation.

“If you do not mind, Earl Downs. I am curious about the position that you took on defending against Duke Ryder.” Nela had to ask. Considering that it had been her proposal that he had argued against, she wanted to know why he thought it was a bad idea, exactly. And there was more room for civil discussion outside of the meeting room than inside of it.

“I am guessing that you have already been filled in on what was said in the meeting then.” Earl Downs reacted more positively than Braydon had thought, improving his opinion of the man even more. From what he had seen of the man outside of meetings, Earl Downs was a very personable man.

“For the most part.” Nela smiled, glad that Earl Downs seemed more than happy to discuss it with her. If she wanted to improve her assessment of the situation, the best way would be to talk with people who disagreed with her about it.

“Make sure not to tire the Earl out too much. I’ll be making preparations to take over the tasks that Rhydian was doing.” Braydon shook his head, more worried that Nela would not let the Earl go until she was satisfied that she had completely understood his thinking than that the latter would bother her.

“I will try, but I can make no promises” Nela giggled as she responded, getting Braydon to shake his head in response as he left.

“You two seem very close.” Earl Downs made the observation after he watched the interaction between the two. They were much closer than any other unmarried lord and lady that he had seen in a long while..

“We get along quite well. So how come you would decide to wait for Duke Ryder to take an action first?” Nela decided not to comment on the insinuation, instead focusing on what she wanted to ask.

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

27