Chapter 141: Marching to Battle
872 4 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sire, we should be able to see Marquess Burgess’ men soon.” The soldier reported.

“Good, then let’s see how much damage we can do.” Viscount Sharpe smiled, he had managed to make it all the way to the river without seeing a single sign of someone from Mapjess looking for him. Even if they had warned the Marquess, they would not have enough time to come to his aid upon learning of his attack.

“Should we wait for a signal from the Duke, Sire?” The same soldier asked. He was still uncertain that they would even get help from Duke Ryder at all. Let alone if it would be on time. It had been about a day since they had sent word about the change of plans but there had only been one response telling them to attack the bridge and nothing else. No confirmation that they would get any support or what to do after. Just an order to attack. Or what the soldier thought was a suicide mission.

“Do you honestly think that Duke Ryder would waste an opportunity like this? There is no way that he will not attack with us, you should know of his ability to make the most of any situation.” Sharpe returned, not taking the concerns seriously. This was the same Duke that had started a civil war because he saw an opportunity, he would not fail to finish off the King if he was given the chance.

“Enemies ahead!” A shout came from the front of the march.

“It looks like we have arrived. Prepare for battle!” Viscount Sharpe was eager to start. He could almost see the moment where he was named an earl or even a Duke for the critical role he played in the civil war.


“He is here, Sire.” One of Braydon’s men commented.

“And it looks like he is a bit overeager.” Braydon replied when he saw that his opponent was already prepared for battle. He wondered if Viscount Sharpe had even looked to see if there were any reinforcements.

“That only helps us though.” Cinar said as he watched on. Getting a small chuckle from Braydon.

“Yeah, because it is not your men that will be fighting.” Braydon had been hoping that Viscount Sharpe would be unprepared for battle, letting him swoop in without much of a fight. He had no such luck this time.

“Don’t lie to yourself, you would love a battle as much as you would love to finish him off quickly.” Cinar laughed back, he could tell that Braydon wanted to personally stab Viscount Sharpe. Though he did not deny that Braydon’s presence had taken quite the load off of his shoulders.

“Can I not do both? Braydon quipped. He knew it was not likely but it did not mean that he would not try. At least he had both quality and quantity on his side. 

“Then I wish you the best of luck. I’ll hold it to you if one of the bastards gets through.” Cinar wasn’t truly worried. Viscount Sharpe wasn’t known for his great military acumen, or great acumen in general. Even if this was the hardest battle that Braydon fought in after becoming a lord, that was not particularly saying much. Braydon’s hardest battle as lord was a siege against a force a fraction the size of his own.

“Hear that boys? Get moving we have a traitor to crush!” Braydon was not going to wait for Viscount Sharpe to come to him, he was going to go to Viscount Sharpe. Whilst it was in part because he wanted to fight as soon as possible, it was more in consideration of Cinar’s defence. If Duke Ryder did attack, Braydon did not want Viscount Sharpe to be able to easily go around him. Putting distance between his battle and the bridge was the easiest safeguard against that.


“Sire, it looks like they are moving towards us.” This soldier did not like the look of things. If the defenders had the confidence to move away from their guarded position, then it was not a good sign.

“That only makes our job easier. We just have to keep them distracted until Duke Ryder arrives.” Viscount Sharpe almost scoffed at the decision to split an already small defending force to attack his men. Marquess Burgess would need all the help he could get to stave off Duke Ryder but he was sending a couple hundred men to face him? He could only think that the man had gone mad.

“But what if these are reinforcements, Sire?” The soldier replied, they had taken a longer route to make the Royals think that they had just returned home. It was not outside of the realm of possibility that they had sent more men down the shorter route.

“That indecisive bunch? They have not even chosen who is going to lead their army yet. There is not a chance in hell that they could unanimously come to an agreement on sending more men to the bridge.” Viscount Sharpe had seen enough at the various meetings the King had called to know how little that the lords could agree upon. And with his knowledge of his neighbours, he did not think that was going to happen soon.

“But..” Came the reply that was immediately shut down.

“Stop your yapping before I have that tongue of yours removed! They want to fight, and a fight is what we shall give, now get moving!” Sharpe had had enough of his authority being questioned. There was not going to be any backing out, he would make sure of that. He was almost in reach of great power should he win this battle, he was not going to let some soldier’s quibbles be the thing that caused him to miss his chance.

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

26