Chapter 191: Going to See the King
799 5 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So who are we meeting today?” Nela asked Braydon as the carriage left his stables. She looked considerably better rested than he did, having left him to deal with the merchants on his own.

“Well there are a few people that I want to go and see, it just depends on where they are. First, the King. I cannot not go and thank him more personally for the rewards. I imagine we will find your father there as well.” Braydon wanted to remain on the good side of the King. Thanking him ceremonially was one thing, but he would still need to go visit in person. Even if for nothing but to talk about trading with Shuluk.

“I am sure that there will be quite a few people that have the same idea that you do. We will probably have to wait for a while.” Nela reminded.

“You can at least let me have this bit of rest.” Braydon laughed, having been found out. Since they would have to visit a number of lords, they had started fairly early in the morning. He wanted to use the excuse of visiting the King to rest for longer. Nobody could take offence that he went to visit the King before them.

“If that was the case you would already be asleep again. I take it something interesting happened yesterday?” She hit the nail on the head once again.

“You remember that pair of Serheshis? Somebody related to them came.” Braydon almost didn’t want to remember them but the person in question was not half as annoying.

“And you didn’t kick him  out as soon as you knew he was related to them?” Nela was slightly surprised, from the kind of impression that the Serheshis had left, she was honestly surprised that he had listened to them for a moment longer than he needed to. Let alone that he had apparently listened long enough to be telling her about it the day after.

“Well he was not as irksome as them. Probably didn’t mention the connection until he knew that I was not too annoyed at him. Only this guy was slightly odd, he was the only non-Fiverian that came to see me yesterday. A ginger. But says he is not from Leigh, rather Rotfeldia.” When he saw her digesting what he had said, Braydon knew that Nela was taking this as seriously as he had.

“If what he says is true, then our Mireille has a more important position than we could have imagined. Of course that is if he was not lying.” Nela was sceptical. It just seemed so unlikely that anyone would even want to search for somebody a continent away, let alone have the resources to pull it off.

“I expressed as much myself. They seemed pretty keen on the idea that the glimpse of a redhead they got in Cliforge is their mark as well.” Braydon closed his eyes and leaned his head back on his seat. He had no idea if it was a good or a bad thing. It was not like they could get answers from Mireille, she couldn’t remember anything before waking up in Cliforge. Something that her pursuers had no idea about. 

“They probably think that you are deflecting. Is this man staying around?” Nela asked. If there were people actively looking for Mireille, they might want to keep a closer watch on who hangs around in the earldom.

“If what he says is to be believed. I don’t think it is a good idea for her to go to Mapjess unaccompanied, at least.” If whomever was looker for her was desperate enough to look on the other side of the world, then they would not be above kidnapping her. They just had to make sure that they were never given the chance.

“We have arrived at the palace. If you want to rest now is your chance, Sire.” Rhydian announced from his position on the front of the carriage.

“A lot of people here?” Braydon knew Rhydian wouldn’t say that if there were only a few others.

"It is honestly a bit ridiculous. Most of these are likely those honorary nobles who are worried about not being on the list of those keeping their titles.” Rhydian said almost dismissively. These people normally didn’t care for what happened in the palace so long as they could flaunt their useless title around wherever they went. Now that that was in danger they were all coming out of the woodworks.

“They can complain all they want for all I care.” Braydon said as he made himself comfortable. They could take extra long today specifically if he had his way.

“Ha.” Nela snorted when he said that, Braydon was no impartial observer.


“Sire, you might want to make yourself presentable.” Rhydian’s voice sounded loudly from outside of the carriage. Braydon was sure that he could go for a few more minutes before he truly had to.

*thud*

“Ssssssss.” Or not. Braydon took a deep breath as he lifted his leg up to hug it. Nela had made sure that he would not appear before the King unpresentable. With a very hard kick to the shin.

“You will want to make yourself presentable.” With an emphasis on ‘will’, Nela looked out of the carriage window as if nothing had happened. With Braydon’s ability to wake up she was not taking any chances.

“Noted.” Braydon strained his voice as he sat up properly. ‘Not gentle at all. Is this because her father will likely be there too?’ 

“You want to be unpresentable before the King and half of the nobility?” Nela looked back at the slightly better glare that she was getting.

“The King? No. The rest of them? For the most part, I don’t care.” Braydon said but still straightened out his clothes anyway. He did not fancy a broken leg. Not for a stupid reason like this.

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

17