Chapter 238: Devious Bastard
425 4 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So how do you propose we get those gates open?” The mercenary captain asked Braydon. Roan would be arriving later that day with the rest of his men but they had not made much progress on taking the walls of Damaz in the day’s time that they had besieged the town.

“They have all of the gates on tight watch at all hours, getting a spy in there is not going to be the way to do it.” It was something that Braydon had not considered when they besieged the town. As a town, they had a much better stockpile of food since they needed to feed the people living there and a garrison large enough to protect said town to boot.

“If you wanted a spy on the inside, sending them before our army turns up might have been a good idea.” The man replied. Hindsight really did wonders for predicting the future.

“Perhaps giving them an example that they can see would convince them to come out.” Braydon doubted it would work since it was easy to be brave behind castle walls, but it was worth a shot since he would do it regardless of if he had to besiege the town or not.

“You mean taking the castle over that way? It might demoralise them but I doubt it would improve our chances of taking the town very fast.” The mercenary captain caught on to what Braydon meant very quickly. The castle associated with Damaz was not actually connected to the walls of the town, quite unusually. Rather it was several hundred yards away.

“We might be able to pay one of the castle’s garrison men to let us into the town if we let them leave and go to Damaz.” He knew it was a long shot but it was his best bet right now. He would much rather not spend the time waiting around for the town’s granary to run out of grain.

“There is one way to find out.” The mercenary was not particularly bothered whether they attacked the town or the castle first, he was still getting paid. Not to mention they would end up attacking both eventually.


“Is it me or is there a severe lack of a garrison in this castle?” Braydon asked as he looked at the almost deserted walls. There were enough men to know that the castle was still in use but not enough for him to even say it was a garrison at all. He could not even count more than 10.

“Just an easier job for us. Though I doubt your intimidating the Damaz garrison plan will work anymore.” The mercenary captain pointed out.

“True enough but if they are giving us a gift this freely, I am still going to take it.” Braydon just hoped that Roan would have a bright idea to get them into the town without having to sacrifice half an army on the walls of said town.

“Are you willing to surrender and walk away freely, or will you make me force my way in?” Braydon this time shouted towards the castle walls. He was not in the mood to have a long conversation with whoever was leading the defence this time. This castle was merely the side piece to Damaz rather than the whole show.

“Never!” A voice shouted back.

“That was a child.” The mercenary pointed out the obvious.

“War is not a game for children!” Braydon shouted back after being taken aback that it was a child that responded to his shout. From what he could see the guards on the walls looked rather uncomfortable about the whole situation.

“You will never take my father’s castle!” The child gave a piece of information that made Braydon’s ears perk up. If this was his father’s castle it meant only one thing for Braydon.

“Then unless someone restrains this unruly child, I will be forced to kill him myself!” This shout was more for whoever was looking after the boy. Braydon had no intention of actually killing him but they did not know that. The child was his ticket to taking Damaz even if his methods were quick and dirty.

“My father will have your guts for garters you swine!” The angry voice of a child was finally met with a face as he rushed to the walls to cuss Braydon out. He could not be more than 10 years of age and clearly did not quite understand the situation that he was in at that moment.

“Your father can try. But whilst he is not here, that castle will be mine!” Braydon was only more determined to take the castle now. He had just found himself a hostage worth enough for the garrison of the neighbouring town to bend.

“You!” Whilst the boy was having a shouting match with Braydon it was clear that the guards charged with his protection were thinking in a different manner to their charge.

“Well, will you wait for me to remove your ward’s head or will you let me into that castle?” Braydon switched from speaking to the boy to speaking to the guards protecting him. These were clearly men that his father had left behind to protect him rather than the castle.

“My guards are loyal, they would never go against me!” The boy said that but the way the guards looked between each other, it was obvious what at least some wanted to do.

“If they are loyal, they will know exactly what to do!” Braydon carried on piling on the pressure. This was going to end one way, and it was exactly how he wanted it to end.

“You are a devious bastard.” The mercenary captain said in a quiet voice.

“Why thank you. It took practise.” Braydon replied in the same tone.

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

17