Chapter 241: When You are the Rock and the Hard Place
437 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So where are we striking next, Sire?” Roan asked. They had effectively secured both of the neighbouring Shuluk fiefs with the first two castles they took. Now that they had the only town that Braydon wanted to conquer it was only a few more castles before they started going to each of the villages and mines in the lands he had taken that they were under new management. Only after that would they consider expanding even further if they could.

“If we follow the main road to the Serheshi border, the next castle that we see is that northernmost one that we will be taking in this series of attacks. There is another castle further east that I want to secure the area and then the last castle is on that is basically built into the brimstones.” That last castle that Braydon mentioned was the one that he least wanted to attack since it was in such a good position. Not to mention that there was definitely a decent garrison there as the castle was built to protect an iron mine that also brought up the occasional but significant bit of silver. It was essentially a fortress. If it was not so central to most of the large mines in the area, he might have even just left it alone.

“Do we take the eastern castle or the one by the main road then?” The mercenary captain asked, even he was not too keen on smashing his head against a well defended castle in an advantageous location with their current number. A long term siege was one thing but they did not have the luxury of time.

“It would be prudent to take the more eastern one to protect against returning forces. If we get cut off from our way south and any hope of retreat, it would be the end of us.” Roan exaggerated a little since killing off nobles and knights after they lost on the battlefield was really bad form. At most they would be ransomed for all Braydon was worth and sent back to Cliforge with nothing to show for their effort. But being killed? That would have all of Fiveria up in arms for killing one of their own in a dishonourable way.

“You do have a point. I doubt that the Marquess in Serchi would send anyone our way. He should know that we have no way of threatening him. As far as we know he has not even taken a side in the civil strife, I doubt we would cause him to take one.” Braydon had his own thoughts on who’s side the Marquess was actually on but at least publicly the man had not stated a position and that aloofness more than suited him.

“Ah, even in a fight for the control of a country people will still find a way to play politics.” The mercenary captain shook his head. He had seen it all before but it did not mean that he had changed his opinion on the matter between the first or thousandth time.

“It is precisely the playing of politics that even gave me the chance to be doing this.” Braydon knew where his bread was buttered. He could hardly disparage something that he was doing himself.


“Your Highness.” The man dressed as a servant greeted Alima once again. It had only been a few days since he had told her all that his spies knew about Braydon’s progress but he was already back.

“Has something happened?” Alima looked at him as if telling him to get on with it. He only came to her when he had something new for her so it was obvious that something had indeed happened.

“Things always happen, it only matters if they are important things happening. And important, they are. It seems your foreign toy has not been acting all that fast but the news of him taking Damaz reached the rebel lords just yesterday. Seriously, you would think that men that had been allowed to leave without a fight would act a bit more urgently to get back into their lord’s good graces.” Her spymaster obviously had some opinions about underlings that slacked off. But aside from that it was apparent that he had received the confirmation that Braydon had taken the town at least a day earlier despite being far further away from Damaz.

“I am guessing that it was the rebels’ response that was the noteworthy thing then?” She steered the conversation back on track before he started a tangent on lazy people.

“But, of course. Since he had the ability to take Damaz without a fight, these lords seem to think that he has the ability to take significantly more. Fucking idiots.” He did not have a high evaluation of the intelligence of the rebel lords. Considering that he had spies everywhere amongst them, he was somewhat justified in making that call. 

“He used a trick to get the garrison of Damaz to surrender? How? It is not like Earl Damaz is particularly kind to those that fail him.” Alima had to wonder about that. The men that had returned to the Earl might well have faced a worse fate than if they had fought Braydon to the death. At least she thought as much.

“Earl Damaz is as unforgiving as he is loving of his son. Earl Fiton somehow got his hands on the boy and threatened to kill him. Really got the garrison leader by the balls with that one. I do not think he even knows about Earl Damaz’ reputation. Lucky bastard.” The man sneered as he recounted what his spies had told him. Alima had yet to hear him have a good opinion of anyone but himself.

“And what was their response?” At least 3 neighbouring lords have started moving the majority of their men back home to defend the castles that he has not yet taken. Everyone else neighbouring the fiefs he has taken have sent a contingent of their main army home. Is it necessary to mention what the lords of the lands he has taken are doing?” He finally gave her the news that she was waiting for. With so many lords moving a significant portion of their men back home, they would have to reshuffle their remaining men to defend against her. 

“It seems our skirmishes should become actual battles now. Tell our actual allies to prepare properly to preserve their strength.” Alima was not about to sit on that opportunity. So long as her allies on both sides came out of the battles alright, this was as good as hers. She would be able to clean up everyone else.

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

17