Chapter 266: Even the Father Has His Fun
400 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, even you have a prodigal side.” Cinar Started poking at Braydon almost as soon as was appropriate in a public setting. Almost.

“No punches being held, I see the King has been complaining to you more than normal?” He had an idea about the subject of any such complaints.

“Haaah, and all it took to appease him was a bit of jewellery, if I had known I would have done it myself.” Cinar shook his head after a purposeful sigh. He knew it would get a raised eyebrow, at least, from Braydon.

“Go easy on me, I still have to talk to him in private about that.” 

“I will leave going easy on you to my daughter.” Cinar was having none of it, he was in the know more than anybody due to his relationship with the King. If anyone were to know what Braydon had spent the past weeks doing, it was him.

“But then nobody will be going easy on me.”

“Pah, is that silver tongue of your how you got her to stick around for so long?” 

“I would hope that it is a good personal relationship and a high view of my competence. You should already know that your daughter can more than hold her own when it comes to rhetorical pursuits.” Braydon corrected. 

“The trumpets were already played when the royal couple were announced, put yours away. Nobody blows one for themselves. Nobody respectable.” Cinar felt like he needed that addendum when he took a cursory glance around the room.

“Why did I come to speak to you again?” 

“HA!” 

“Whilst this was nice, I do need to go and pay what little respect I have to Duke Burn.” Burn was in that odd position of having a very high position as a Duke and now father of the newly wed Queen but also having tense relations with the King. It left everyone at the celebration unsure about the attitude that they should present when greeting the Duke. And as such they waited for somebody else to do it.

“Somebody has to break that staring match” Cinar nodded, glad that even if he wanted to, his rank prevented him from being that person.

“Somehow I feel like I am expected to follow up on the precedent I set.” There were more than one set of eyes on the back of his head. The stares were almost piercing.

“You should have thought about the consequences of your actions more.” Cinar fixed him with a sufficiently annoying smile.

“Did I do something to you as well? I only remember annoying the King?” He asked and the look in Cinar’s eyes told him that he had been waiting for that question.

“Oh, I am not sure. Father’s privileges and all that.” Had there not been a broad grin when that was said, Braydon would have thought Cinar was truly annoyed at the rumours surrounding him and Nela.

“I am sure that the other subject would have something to say were she not currently conversing with other honourable women.” 

Nela, true to form, was more than adept at dealing with people. Despite her relative lack of experience, she had long since been known to Ladies who frequented the capital due to her extended stay there before meeting Braydon. And her reputation was a good one if the smiles of the people she was talking to were anything to go by. He doubted something so obvious was a good metric but he was not exactly familiar with the inner workings of female interactions at court.

“And you would hide behind her? She is already dealing with the rumours if the number of looks thrown your way have anything to say about it.” 

“I never said I envied her position, and yes I would hide behind her when it comes to dealing with her own father. You have to use the most appropriate strategy for the situation.” Braydon was not just going to stand there and take it from one of his friends even if he did hold something over him.

“Well go put that strategic genius to use and figure out the appropriate length of time to talk to Duke Burn.” Cinar patted him on the shoulder and sent him off. Not as some kind of shrug off, however. Duke Tetland was approaching and that would take more than a little bit of focus to not cause a diplomatic incident. Or in other words, the perfect excuse for Braydon to go and greet the other Duke in the hall.

“If you put it like that.” Braydon bowed ever so slightly to the approaching Duke before slowly withdrawing. At the very least there would be another conversation happening that would draw some attention away from him. Duke Tetland was technically the second most important person in the hall, him doing anything would attract attention.

“Earl Fiton.” The Duke greeted.

“I believe we were due at least one conversation since I took up my title.” Braydon greeted similarly distantly.

“So it seems.” Burn was not exactly fond of Braydon, or at least did a good job of giving that impression.

“I hope that the gifts I gave were appropriate.” Braydon felt like he should know what Duke Burn thought, seeing that he had just gifted his daughter a tiara of all things. 

“That is a word you could use.”

Hi Hi. 

So here I am after two months. Hello again people, I should be back until at least May when I need to focus on my dissertation. But other than that sorry for the extended delay, I had more than a few issues to deal with over the end of december and january that stopped me from picking things up again but that is life I guess. Onward and upward!

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

16