Chapter 269: Come Home to Roost
1.3k 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, things were too peaceful for you, I take it.” Aled started as soon as he and Braydon were alone in his study. Study was a bit of a misnomer as it looked less like a study and far more like an entire library to Braydon. An entire library for the King’s personal use.

“Well, I would rather prefer Fiveria to remain peaceful.” 

“I see that. But what made you think it was a good idea to get yourself involved in somebody else’s civil war? I highly doubt that you think you are capable of defending yourself should the Shuluk nobles win.” 

“Other than the obvious, I would rather not sit and wait until Duke Burn decides that he does not have enough influence in the east.” It was pretty clear that Braydon was motivated by getting more land and the resources that that would provide. 

“And you think that he would attack you now? After all of this.” The King had to ask. It was not exactly reasonable to think that Duke Burn would attack a lord so closely tied to the King’s success in putting down Ryder’s rebellion after he had his daughter marry said King.

“No, but he does not have to. All it would take would be some pirates stopping any ship carrying my iron to Narabun and I would be heavily impacted.” Even if the overland route for trade were to be cleared with the defeat of the rebels it was likely that having his iron shipped to Narabun would still be more cost effective. 

“And you think that he will?” Aled asked.

“Considering that I go through Countess Graham? I am certain. Even if he does not target me, I have no doubt that he is trying to put the pressure on her to fall in line as we speak.” To Braydon it was a matter of when not if the Duke would try and pressure any allies to distance themselves from Lani to get her into his orbit.

“Have you not considered negotiating with him? I am sure that he would be more than glad for the income.” 

“I have and I am, I set up such a meeting just yesterday.” Just because he was allied with Lani, did not mean that would stop him from negotiating with Duke Burn. If anything, him being the one to approach the issue put him at an advantage than if he was forced to by the Duke taking action.

“And if it goes well? Will you give up on this folly?” 

“I think it is a bit late for that, no?”

*sigh*

“You might be right.” The King shook his head, what had happened had happened. 

“I would hope I am, this is my own livelihood we are talking about.” Braydon was willing to take risks but that did not mean that he was trying to end up either destitute or on a pike.

“And since this is something so important to you, I am sure you can understand why this is also important to me.” 

“I have some idea.” Braydon almost mimicked the sigh that Aled made just moments before. Here was the catch. There was no way that the King was going to let him off scot free, no matter how amicable their conversation had been. His chickens had most definitely come home to roost.

“Then first of all, I am sure that you understand if I remove the taxation privileges that I had previously given you.” It was the ‘first of all’ that bothered Braydon. 

Aled was clearly working from the least important thing to the most important thing. Braydon was doing pretty well for himself being the largest producer of iron in not just Fiveria but the surrounding Kingdoms. At least until Shuluk got itself in order. Being levied the same as everyone else was not going to be too much of a burden for him.

“That would be reasonable.” Braydon nodded along. If he tried to object to this, he would have no hope of objecting to anything more serious.

“I am glad you agree. Then I am also considering completely lifting the embargo on the Grand Duchy, making the privilege you have there redundant.” The King was really trying to get rid of any extra privileges that Braydon had earned through his merits in the civil war. Though it could be worse and the King grant that privilege to someone else, like Duke Burn. As it was, it would just make trying to get concessions from Alima Shuluk harder.

“Whilst I would caution to do that after a victor has become clear in their civil war, I think it is reasonable.” If it happened too soon before, Alima might get ideas and try to renegotiate their deal before the war ended.

“I will take it into consideration. Now as a final measure I was thinking that you could do something more active for me.” This was probably what Aled truly wanted him to do. 

“In what matter, Your Highness?” 

There is a need for some communication between myself and whatever lunatic sits on the throne in Casburland. And since the last King met an untimely death on the battlefield against us, we have yet to have any communications.” The more Aled said the less Braydon liked.

Usually any kind of diplomatic mission was left to people the King liked and trusted due to some privilege but when it was diplomacy with a sworn enemy of Fiveria? Braydon wondered how any diplomacy between their countries did not lead to the decapitation of the messengers. 

“And what specifically do you want from me in this regard?” 

“Well, you see…

Hi Hi. 

Come join me and others on my discord server and have fun chatting together! You can come and talk to me about my thoughts on the novel or point out any mistakes I made in my chapters. Or if that doesn't suit your taste then just talk about whatever random stuff is on your mind.

And if you are willing and able, you could always show me some love by contributing to my snack fund over on Kofi. =P

                                                                                                   |Discord|

15