Just Me – Part 2 of 3
226 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

8hB79MF.jpg

With morning, I find Kyoko standing over my bed with a smile a little too wide. She bows her head and declares, "I've prepared breakfast." At the table, she's made a meal I know well. It's well-seasoned. I thank her and we eat together. She's prepared a smaller portion for herself.

At the end of breakfast, she asks, "Will I be joining you at class?" I'm quiet a moment. I hadn't considered that, but I nod. "I suppose. You can visit as a guest." She says nothing more and clears the table when we're done. I look over to her at the sink.

I ask, "Are you alright?" She moves some of her utensils to the basin. A knife used for dicing lingers in her hands. Kyoko looks over at me and asks, "What do I mean to you?"

I sit with the question. Kyoko sets the knife down. I take a deep breath and offer, "As I've said, you're a part of me. I guess that makes you like…"

She volunteers, "A sister?"

I watch her. "I was going to say 'twin', but I guess that's about the same."

Her head lowers. "So, you consider me a relative? A sibling?"

I look her up and down. "Maybe. Does that bother you?"

She washes her hands. "How would you treat a sibling?"

Having none, I'm unsure how to answer. I think back to the fact she came from me and ask, "What about what you know of me? That should give you a sense."

Her hands rest near the knife. "I'm not a part of you anymore. I can't read your mind. I don't know what I am….to you especially. I'm a separate person."

I shrug. "But aren't we much alike?"

She leans on the counter. "I dunno. What's your favorite color?"

Automatically, I tell her, "Black."

She looks down at the dark-colored shirt of mine she's wearing. "While I like the feeling of darkness, I've been thinking I like white so much more than black." It's an interesting variation, but I don't dislike white.

We share some interests. None of them quite match. I suggest, "I made you more my female side so it makes sense your interests wouldn't be quite the same as mine."

She leans back. "So, that's what you did…"

"Yeah. Why?"

Carefully, she sets the knife in the basin. "Because last night in bed, I thought about the people you know at school. Some of the guys turned me on more than the girls I remember."

I'm surprised by the notion because I've never felt the slightest hint of homosexual feeling. I ask, "Are you sure you want to go to school then?"

Kyoko stares me down. "Why? Afraid I'll want to fuck someone?"

The notion catches me off guard. Kyoko seems pleased and scratches at her hair before musing, "I actually think some of your drama friends are sexy. Does it offend you that I kinda want to suck them off...or fuck them?"

I search for the words. "It's a little surprising…that's all."

She walks towards the table slowly. "What do you think it means if I'm a part of you and I want to do those things?" It's a leading question, and I counter it with what we've already figured out with interest-naming, "I think it's pretty clear we're not the same, exact person."

Kyoko bends down and looks at me squarely. "I agree. We're not. And I'm not something that can just be put back into you when this play is done. I'm a person. My own person, dammit!"

I grimace and sigh. "You're right. I'm sorry."

She eases back and rinses things from breakfast.

I ask her, "You really want to…get with my drama friends?"

She scrubs a ladle. "Suck and fuck? Well, not in the middle of class. But that Brian…mmm…"

I get up from the table to give Kyoko some privacy for her little fantasies as she scrubs.

It doesn't take long to get ready for class. I happen to get a glimpse of Kyoko's bare breasts from the side as she's changing. I'm not sure if it's by accident or she intended it. I find the stone from yesterday on mom's dresser. I consider putting it in my bag but I know if Kyoko finds out I took it, she might get the wrong idea.

I also consider meditating with it to help Kyoko. Instead, I just set it down where it is and get my bag ready for class. The walk isn't far.

On campus, I wave to those I know. I notice that Kyoko nearly waves a few times too, but catches herself. She holds her hands behind her and keeps her gaze to the pavement till we get to class.

She gets accepted easily once I introduce her as, "My cousin from far away." Everyone marvels at how alike we look, especially when encouraged to stand side-by-side. Kyoko keeps to the girls for a while, but I hear them ask prying questions which she listlessly answers. She drifts towards an empty area where others leave her alone. I notice she looks at Brian every so often.

When the instructor dismisses us, Kyoko is first to leave. Outside, I find her sitting on a bench with her head down.

I ask, "What's wrong?"

She shakes her head. "All of this. I don't belong here. I remember everyone, but I can't let on that I do. All I can do is keep making shit up and hope they don't realize I'm lying. It makes me sick. I'm not coming to class anymore."

I sit next to her and ask, "What did you want me to say to them? You're a girl made from my altered…essence?"

She glares and says, "What would you want me to say about you if I made a boy from me with that fucking rock?"

It's hard to imagine, but I attempt, "I'd want to be…treated like a normal person and not some creation."

She shakes her head. "Treated like… Even though I know I can never be one. That's what hurts most of all." She gets up and walks away. I follow till she heads into the women's restroom. I wait outside and try not to listen. I wonder if it would be better if I try to turn myself into a girl with the stone for a while, so she won't feel so alone. I figure it would only hurt her more, like everything else.

When she gets out, I see the area around her eyes is a little redder. We say nothing to each other. We walk in silence.

At home, she stays in my…our parents' bedroom through lunch. I don't bother her. I do some reading of my part in the play and have a sandwich. I ask her through the door, "Would you like something to eat?" But I get no answer.  

A little after lunch, I get a call. There's a phone on the same line in my parents bedroom. If Kyoko answers, it'll just be confusing. I hurry over to pick up the phone by the kitchen and state, "Hello."

"Hi, this is mom. Are you doing alright?"

I pause before finding my words. "Hi, mom. It's alright here. Things are a bit complicated though."

"How so, sweetie?"

I sigh into the receiver. I'm not sure if I should lie. "You remember the play, right? Well, it's a two-part role and there's someone else involved. And it's just getting really complicated."

"I'm sure you'll both do fine. I'm sorry we have to miss it. We should be back before too long."

I want to elaborate, but I just cough and say, "You're right, mom."

"There's something else. You know your father's old storage table in the basement he never uses and never wants to throw away?" My mother's voice quiets a little. I wonder if my father is nearby on the other end.

There's a faint click in the background. I ignore it. The line is old, like the house, and sometimes it gets noises and static.

"Yeah, what is it, mom?"

Mom whispers, "I want you get rid of it. Don't say anything if your father calls. Just get rid of it. If he asks, say you made a mistake. I'm sure he won't mind after a while. I'll cover for you. I just want it gone by the time we get back."

"Sure, mom, I can do that. I'll take care of it."

I hear the click again. Mom finishes up with well-wishes and a promise that a postcard is in the mail. I wish her goodbye and hang up.

I hear a door creak and footsteps. Kyoko joins me in the room. She asks, "Was that mom?"

I nod. "Yeah, she just sends her love and some new chores. As always."

Kyoko watches. "Did you mention me?"

I fold my arms. "I considered it. But it's kind of a big thing to lay on her and dad all at once."

Her shoulders tense, as she just responds, "Oh…"

I fill the silence by saying, "We could take care of her chores now…get it out of the way."

Kyoko takes a small step back. "No need to rush. Several days till they get back."

I eye her curiously. "Uh…it's not a big deal. Easily done. Just come with me."

Her eyes betraying fear, Kyoko dashes back and seizes the knife from breakfast. "Like fuck I'm coming with you! I'll show you how 'easily', you bastard!"

Wide with shock, I hold out my hands. "What are you talking about?! Mom just wants me to get dad's…"

She interrupts, "Bullshit! I heard you and I heard what she said. It couldn't be clearer. 'Get rid of it'…'made a mistake'…'won't mind'…'want it gone'…I will not be fucking garbage you toss out!"

I shake my head and try to explain about dad's storage table. She won't listen. Her knife draws close. I plead, "You heard wrong! Do you think I would commit murder?! Do you really think that?!"

Her mouth curls in a snarl. But she recedes. She glances to the bedroom but not long enough for me to make a move. Her knife lowers a little as she says, "We're going to destroy the stone…right now."

I can only nod to her and let her lead the way with her weapon so close. I try to think of ways I can take it from her, but I'm too afraid of her slicing me in anger or by accident.

In the bedroom, she keeps me in front as she reaches for the stone. Tensing her face, she tries to break it with her bare hands. I offer, "What if destroying it means destroying you? No one really knows how the stones works…"

She stares me down. "If so…then at least my fate will be in my hands."

She leads us outside to the backyard. Taking a breath, she quickly slams the stone on the pavement. It thuds against the ground like a heavy die from a board game. It doesn't crack or break. It tumbles around. She crouches to pick it up again, still facing me. I consider charging her, but her knife is still out in easy stabbing range. I glance around, looking for something I can use to get the knife away from her.

She focuses on slamming the stone over and over with what strength she has. It almost tumbles away from her, but she clenches it tight to her body.

To my left, I can see the pointed trowel my mom uses for gardening. It's not much, but I grab hold of it and hold it out protectively. It takes Kyoko a moment to notice. She looks at me dispassionately and asks, "Are you going to kill me with that?"

I swallow and keep my gaze on her. "I don't want to. Just put yours down, and I'll put mine down. Then we can talk."

Her expression is almost one of amusement. "Talk about what? We're past all that. All that's left is which of us survives."

0