Journal Entry 7
1k 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 7

I wake up refreshed, and admittedly a little excited, “I won't die down here”, I tell myself. I start to get up and get ready for the day, packing up all my things and taking care of bodily functions. It takes a little bit, packing everything up with one hand, thankfully, I was able to adjust my blankets and stuff in my partially ruined bag enough to be able to carry everything. Thinking about it, I soaked my cloth stuff in water before going, and filled my mug and water bottles up with water, then headed out.

I squeezed my way through my hole in the wall and examined my surroundings, I saw that half the wrappers of oat bars I had left on the ground where gone, nothing else had changed. I stretched to my full height of 6 foot and smiled to myself, “let's do this.” I whisper to myself, and start walking onward.

As I'm walking, I'm fiddling with the Manaphage, trying to determine the extent of what it can do. First I poked it with my knife, slowly applying more pressure to see if I could feel it, Which I could, but it was more like a poke then a stab. Next I lightly smacked it against the rock wall as I was walking along, and noticed that it didn't break the rock. Surprised I stopped, and swung again, slightly harder, and still, nothing happened, slightly worried I swung again, harder now, with a strong intent to break the wall, and it worked. There was now a crack in the wall, and the Manaphage was slightly dimmer.

“Huh, so is that... huh.” I whispered, and ripped a piece of paper from this journal, and held it to the Manaphage, “BURN!” I screamed in my mind, thinking hard of high temperatures, and fire, and hot things, and it worked, kinda, the paper started to brown, then a little spark appeared, then right as the Manaphage went out, a little fire started. “ah, fuck” doing that and concentrating that hard, I got a splitting headache, and was feeling hungry. I dropped the paper and shoved the Manaphage into my soaked bag and started to feel a little better, the crystal quickly absorbing the water from everything.

Eventually when the headache went away, I pulled it out and stuck my hand in, it was feeling a lot drier in there, but not completely. The Manaphage was glowing again, much dimmer than usual though, and I started walking again. I held the burnt paper up, it had gone out when I dropped it, but I was still satisfied, I had done magic, real magic, holy shit, that voice said I could channel it, but holy shit, I did it! I was thinking to myself all that and more, my mind racing. I started walking a little quicker, even more excited to get out now.

As I walked I thought about it some more, so magic uses up power, mana I guess, and the Manaphage absorbs mana from anything. Casting a spell, or whatever I did, used up mana, but was it a lot of mana, or did I have very little of it, or was it control over it. I had read a lot of fantasy books with a bunch of different ways to describe and use magic, and I think the best description was that my mana seemed to fill a reservoir, and using it was piping it away to do something. The question was, was my reservoir shallow, or where my pipes leaky, or both. I had to meet someone to help me with this, but in the meantime, I'll have to experiment carefully. If I use too much, it seems I'll get a headache and really hungry. The last question I'll have to answer is why did meditation seem to have some sort of effect on the Manaphage, and my mana.

I had been walking for a while now, and reached a fork in the road of the tunnel, there were two paths in front of me, the left one, which noticeably went upwards, at an almost 45-degree slope, or the right one which curved back the way I came it seemed, but also seemed to climb upwards. Not knowing which one to choose I sat down and decided that this was as good as any place to rest and meditate. I went over to a wall and sat down, resting my back against it. My legs feeling more tired than I thought, I promptly started to meditate and soon after, fell asleep.

21