Journal Entry 13
707 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 13

I fell asleep curled up around the Manaphage, slowly releasing warmth into my body. I entered my meditation and got to the waterfall, and when I stepped under I felt the water rain down on me, almost as cold as ice. Shivering under the waterfall I slowly acclimate and eventually fall asleep. I don't recall the dream after that, but I woke up cold, shivering, and not really refreshed. I was not as excited to wake up, as usual, id rather just keep lying there, trying to warm up, and failing.

Slowly, I got up, cold, dreary, and pulled the blanket away. The built-up snow dumped on to my head, shocking me wide awake, “god damn it!” Wide awake now, I sat up straight, and cleared some of the snow off, absorbing the rest of it with the Manaphage. I packed everything up, and held my long coat tight, and started walking towards the edge.

As I walked, I warmed myself and a couple of pieces of jerky, hoping for a hot meal. The sun was barely peeking over the mountain, I guess I was headed in the general western direction. I looked ahead, seeing an ocean of trees below me, dusted with snow. I couldn't wait to get down there and sleep on softer ground, the nights of sleeping on rocks catching up to me.

I walked until the sun was shining directly over me, its reflection off the snow blinding me. I stopped then, and sat down, reaching into my bag, and grabbed my torch welding mask cover, switching it with my safety mask. Fitting there, I listened to the blustering winds howling around me, clearing my nose then smelling the air, hoping to catch a whiff of anything besides the cold air. Meanwhile, the Manaphage was resting in the snow, slowly regaining its glow, as it had slowly dimmed warming me up.

I checked my phone then, seeing my haggard face in the bright reflection, my beard looking like a mess, and my face dirty. I grabbed some snow and started trying to clean my face, the snow quickly melting, and the water dripping off my face dirty and brown. I pulled off my glove and realized that my hand was filthy, and washed it as best as I could. I don't know why but I wanted to clean myself as much as possible, the thought had disappeared from my mind in the dark cave. I couldn't wash here, but hopefully, in that forest, it would be warm enough, or at least sheltered enough to try and clean myself. Thinking on that, I shoved as much snow in my bag as I could carry and got up, knowing what I was gonna do first when I got to the forest.

I walked more, my improvised shades helping keep me from going blind, and finally reached the edge. It was clearly demarcated by a soft edge, that slowly turned into a 60-degree angle, steep for sure, but not impossible. I put my silly idea into action then, and walked back a short way, and made a snowball, and started rolling it forward. It quickly gained mass and size, getting harder to push, but I made it to the edge before long, and with a final shove, I pushed it over the edge, hopefully, making a much better path than a steep, snow-covered path.

It slowly started its roll, picking up more and more snow, eventually reaching the size of a car, then a large truck. It was gaining speed too, going faster and faster, picking up more and more snow. It took it what felt like maybe 2 minutes before it hit the tree line, smashing into the trees like a bowling ball scoring a strike. I saw it first, then heard it, the snapping of trees like twigs, and the total destruction of tens of feet of forest. I saw things flying away, startled by the explosion of noise.

I grinned to myself, and started laughing, “ holy shit, that was fuckin awesome!” I don't know what came over me but all at once I started laughing and crying and shouting, my voice going hoarse. After 10 minutes of releasing all my pent up emotions, I laid there, feeling some kind of a weight lifted off my chest, it was like I could breathe freely. I got up, and looked again upon the destruction I had wrought, and started down the path I made, planning how I was gonna spend my night among those fallen trees.

18