Journal Entry 37
369 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 37

I entered the black void, and walked quickly forward, conjuring the opalescent wall up, and passing through the grand doorway. I entered the forest at a brisk pace, and started jogging, running up the hill next to the waterfall to look out across my mindscape. I saw the river lazily turning back and forth through the forest before the tree cover completely blocked it from view, and I decided to follow it first, see how far it went, and what it's connected to.

I jogged back down, and hopped in the water, going for a swim. I paddled myself to the beginning of the river, and floated there for a second, looking ahead, and started to swim forward. As I swam on, resting every now and then, laying on my back, drifting in and out of sleep, I thought about what I could do with the Manaphage, the all-powerful multi-tool I knew not the limits of. Floating along I felt at peace, and ideas flowed into me more than usual, and I felt like I was experiencing an epiphany. I had been able to heat, freeze, grind, and destroy things with the Manaphage because that's what I expected of it when I had used it to throw the stones in the under forest, I expected it to throw them with amazing strength. I had been using the mana however I liked, and I could probably use it any way I could think of, and I knew what the first thing I wanted to do was.

I sat up quickly, the idea that had formed fresh in my mind, and I grabbed the first knife I carved and held it up with the Manaphage. I grabbed its leather handle, and willed mana to flow into it, not to heat it, but to make it sharper, to make its blade able to cut even thinner when I willed mana into it. I crawled out of the hut, and walked over to the bone pile, and grabbed a big chunk of bone, maybe a vertebra or something, and tried cutting it with the edge normally. I left a small cut, but nothing impressive, then I willed mana to flow into it and tried cutting again. The blade cut through like the bone was butter, and almost split it in half. Surprised, I set the bone and blade down, and grabbed my ax, and tried imbuing it with sharpness as well. I walked over to a tree, far from my campsite, and swung my ax into it. I had put my strength into it, and the ax head slid halfway into the trunk of the tree, and only stopped because the handle stopped it from going any deeper.

I was overjoyed and tried pulling the ax from the tree, it was stuck. The sharpness of the ax had allowed it to slide deep into the tree, and now the tree was pressing down on the ax with its impressive weight. I had to work at it, as I wiggled the ax back and forth, slowly working it out of the tree. Eventually, it came out, and I stepped back, plans for other things filling my head. I hopped my fence, and grabbed a long thick bone from the pile, about three feet long, and as thick as a pint glass. It was heavy, but I carried it over to the fire and sat down, my next idea forming. I ground down the thinner part of the bone, thinning it out enough to wrap my fingers around it with both hands, and made a nice heavy club.

I swung it around a few times, it felt good, like I was swinging the heaviest bat in the world. I rested it on the ground and proceeded to imbue it with sharpness as well, just to see what would happen, and I swung it down on another bone, breaking it in half, but not really cutting it. I checked the two halves and found it was more of a shatter than a cut. I shrugged, it was amazing magic, but clearly I couldn't cut with something blunt. At least this thick, because a thin wire can cut, and that's round, maybe if I struck a giant creature like a titan or something it could cut... that was a test for another day when I had a wire or an extremely large monster. I had another test to perform, but the glow pup had woken up from the breaking of the bone and had poked its head through the flap, curious about the noise. I looked it in the eye, and gently tossed half of the broken bone to it. It pulled back in the tent, then poked it back out, seeing the massive bone in front of it. It started to gnaw on it as I went back to work.

I held the bone club up and tried to imbue weight into it, suddenly making it much heavier in my hands, and it tipped forward, smashing the ground, creating another ruckus. The pup looked up, and I shrugged, and it turned back to its snack, chewing away. I was feeling pretty tired now, I hadn't really gotten any sleep, and walked over to my pot of food paste, and grabbed a ladle full, and downed it in one gulp, still warm, I decided to pour more snow, meat, and bone in it, and went back to bed, meditating, and soon falling asleep after.

I woke up late to the feeling of the pup's rough tongue licking me. It was licking around my mouth and beard, getting the little bits of food scrap it could. I got up with a start, pushing the pup back. I had to think of a name for it soon, and crawled out of my hut. It ran around my feet then ran to the food bowl. I walked over, picked it up, and started ladling food in, and placed it down, the pup excitedly wagged its tail, and tucked in. I chuckled, and filled my own bowl with food, before remembering to fill its water bowl. I didn't have much to do today and after eating my fill got to work.

As much as I wanted to experiment more with the Manaphage, I felt something in the air, somewhat similar to the day before the snowstorm, and I didn't want to be caught out in that again with the same hut. I grabbed a large rib bone from the snake, curved and long, and quickly sharpened the inner curve, creating a large scythe, and brought it over to one of four trees I had felled, and imbued it with sharpness, and got to work splitting the log into long sections.

It was long hard work and took me all day, but eventually, I had broken down one tree and its component parts. I had a stack of long straight planks, carved from the tree's trunk. I had piled all the bark and shavings in another pile, and the branches all broken up into kindling in another pile. I was happy with my work when I was done, and as the sun sunk below the treeline, I was able to raise my roof by two feet, and make a real roof as well, as I had found that if I held two pieces of wood together, and ran my Manaphage along the two edges, I could essentially weld them together by willing them to stick. Doing this I attached my roof to the hut and the massive log I used as my backing this whole time, and stood in my hut for the first time, my head hitting the ceiling, but still, it was better than nothing.

I grabbed a bowl of food, and filled the pup's bowl too, sitting down, and relaxing next to my warm fire. Soon enough the pup wandered over, and sat next to me, eyeing me warily from time to time, before laying down fully. I slowly reached over, and it watched as I gently rest my hand on its back, as I started to rub it gently. Its tail was gently wagging behind it, waving back and forth, and I thought about its name, I had to teach it its name soon, so I could get it to come when I called. I stroked its back, thinking for a long time, it was a glowing dog, or glowing wolf pup more likely, and I decided on Lupe, short and simple, and probably not something I would say on accident. I looked at in its tired eyes, and said “Lupe, your names Lupe little one.” and I rubbed its head and stood up, stretching and yawning, tired from the laborious day, and walked into my hut, the wing I had used for my roof now used as a folding door, its joints surprisingly still working. I had several rocks set up throughout the room, and started heating them all, quickly warming my room up, and the adjoining cubby hole as well. I laid down on the floor, my next project, a proper bed, and storage stuff planned for tomorrow if the storm I was predicting hit. I got comfortable and soon started meditating, entering my mindscape, and eventually fell asleep.

12