Journal Entry 38
354 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 38

I woke up earlier than usual, there were no signs of the sun on the horizon, but the fire had died down already. I wasn't too cold, and looking down, I realized Lupe had crawled up next to me, its head tucked under the Manaphage, the rest of its body nestled by my side. I was stuck now, since I did not want to wake him up, and closed my eyes, relaxing back to fall back asleep.

Soon I fell back asleep, only to be awakened by a sharp whistling noise, and I got up finally, starting to feel a terrible chill. I poked my head out, to only be smacked in the back of the head by my wing door. Wincing I pulled back, my face having frosted over already, the storm I had felt had come with a vengeance, there was already an inch or two of snow on everything, and my fire was completely out now. I threw on all my coats and jackets, throwing my robe over it all, the cold still cutting across my face, making me wish I still had my clear safety mask.

I grabbed the huge cauldron of food, and tested it, finding that it was almost frozen solid. I rushed over to my pile of sticks, and grabbed as many as I could, throwing them into my hut, along with a couple of planks. Next, I grabbed as much meat as I could, and placed it with the meat in my hut. I thought I had everything I needed when I saw the flash of scales and grabbed the snakeskin from the pile of skins. I also grabbed the double-cat pelt, planning to turn that into a proper warm rug. I grabbed a couple of other crafting materials, and ran back into my hut, Lupe was already licking a piece of frozen meat.

I had one last thing to do, and grabbed a large amount of long thick sticks, and started planting them in the snow wall fence, crisscrossing them haphazardly, making a wood fence that stuck up another 3 feet from the first fence. If there was going to be heavy and thick snowfall, I might as well capitalize on it. Done with all the nonsense and survival stuff, and absolutely freezing, I rushed into my hut, folding my wing door behind me with a sharp snap.

I grabbed up a couple of planks and started to attach them to the doorway, lowering it back down to the height of three feet, letting in a lot less cold air, and keeping me slightly warmer. Next, I carved out a section of the roof, and after dumping a pile of snow on my head, added a little 90-degree chimney, one that I could easily clear the mouth of. I started a little fire next, digging up a small dirt pit right below said chimney, and started roasting my breakfast. Lupe was running around my small room, jumping through the little alcove I had made to his cubby hole.

I started my next project, and decided to expand my room, cutting deeper into the log with my rib ax/saw carving large thin sections out at a time. It took me a while to do so and to find a spot that was still clear enough to place the carved up chunks. Eventually, I sat down to eat, my stomach growling, and Lupe edging closer to the cooking meat telling me to take a break. I awkwardly sat down, shoving aside piles of crafting materials, and started eating the sweet and spicy bird-beast steaks.

I laid back on my messy floor and listened to the wind outside, still blowing hard, the hut shaking every now and then, peeking out, I saw the makeshift wooden fence I added was working, as there seemed to already be an extra foot of snow built up on my fence. I pulled back inside and got to work with my crafting project for the next while, carefully using one of the double-cat claws to thread a leather strip through the snake scales, so I could make bracers or sleeves for my robe.

It took some time, but I was able to work the claw through the scales and sew them to the robe, making a garish kind of transition from the panel robe to scale sleeves. But when I tried cutting it with the claws with a sweep, they left a faint scratch, only making a hole when I applied straight downward pressure in a single point. I was satisfied with my new add on, my defenses have improved considerably, and my skills at making homemade armor getting better.

I whiled the rest of the day doing similar things, using the sticks to keep my fire going, and the rest of the planks to make a raised bed, with about two feet of clearance under it. It took up more than half my hut, but when I laid down on it, I was extremely comfortable, especially with the double-cat hie used as a cover, it was softer than I expected, and its fur was soft to the touch, not at all rough or bristly. I placed my sleeping bag on top, and laid down, relishing my raised bed, finally I wouldn't have to sleep on the frozen ground.

Lupe hopped up on the bed with me, and laid down next to me again, rubbing its head into the Manaphage, and shut its eyes, shrugging to myself I decided to take a nap, I mean, I had to test out my new bed at once, wanted to make sure it didn't have any problems. I slowly drifted off to sleep, not bothering to meditate, planning on getting up before the end of the day.

12