Journal Entry 39
457 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I slept for a fair amount of time, waking up to the wing door snapping open, and blasting me in the face with snow. That was something new for the list, making a door, or at least, a better covering. I walked over and reached out to grab the door, only to grab air, peeking out, the wing was halfway stuck in the snow wall, and looked like it was going to roll over, it had folded open in the harsh winds. I clambered out and went to grab it, snagging it right before it caught another gust. I pulled it down, and folded it up, melting some water over it, and freezing it solid like a lock.

I saw that the other wing was still stuck, frozen deep into the ground, and covered with snow. I was going to have to figure out a bigger construction, a full-sized cabin or something, the hut was growing too small for my liking, and I now had large walls of snow I could use as temporary supports. Now all I had to do was make a step ladder or something.

I climbed back into my hut, and made a quick door, before I got back to crafting things, making boxes, shelves, and a shovel. I made the shovel by attaching a plate of the carapace to a stick with the same method I of magically welding them together. I also got to work making some wood tools, like a hammer, and stone nails. The biggest piece of metal I had was my ax, the rest was either scrap I left on my walk up the tunnel or my car, and I still had no idea how to bring that back, if something hadn't pushed it into that hole.

I soon got tired, and decided to stop for the day, and quickly ate my dinner, Lupe had been running around my tiny hut, holding a piece of raw meat, and seeing that I didn't chase him, curled up and started eating it. I chuckled and finished eating, looking at the progress I had made on making my time here more livable and enjoyable. I had one last thing I had to do and moved over to the alcove and wall separating the cubby and hut, and slowly carved the wood divider away, fully connecting the two rooms, it wasn't much of an expansion, but Lupe enjoyed the extra room I gave him. I reached in and made the entrance to the cubby smaller, so he could climb in and out, but there wasn't much more space for wind, and I cut the raggedy blanket into fourths, using it as a buffer system for the wind, so it would dampen any incoming cold. Lastly, I threw a couple more sticks on the fire and made sure the chimney was clear before I started meditating and eventually drifting off to sleep.

I woke up late, a dim light shining in through the chimney tipped me off to it being morning. I looked around, noticing that Lupe wasn't in the room, “Lupe!?” I called out, not expecting anything. I poked my head out, seeing him running around the campsite, which was completely blanketed in snow. It was a foot off the ground, and the stick walls I had jammed into the first fence had done their job, catching a bunch of snow, and growing my fence to six feet tall. I stood up and sighed, I had a lot of work to do, and I got started.

I first cleared out my first fire pit, intending to roast a large hunk of bird-beast, and grabbed some snow-covered logs, quickly drying them, and lighting them on the fire. Next, I cleared the snow off the meat pile, grabbing a rather large chunk of bird beast, it had frozen solid, attached to several other chunks. I slowly melted the ice on them, removing the hefty piece, about the size of a thigh, and speared it through the middle before sitting it over the fire, turning it every now and then to give it an even cook.

My next task involved a couple of things, I had to make a proper door, expand the roof of my hut to extend over the whole fence, and lastly reinforcing the fence with wood and melting the snow on it so that it was a proper wooden wall. I decided that my cabin would have about two feet of clearance, making the planned building about eight feet tall, enough to not feel too cramped. I got to work on the first problem and started making a door proper, welding several planks of wood together, to make a door just taller than me. Then I got to the hard part, cutting a hole in my fence, without collapsing the whole thing in on me. It wasn't likely, I told myself, but the snow had seemed to dome inwards, probably the wind blowing in all directions,

I had a tedious but safe way to make sure everything went well and started going about the laborious process of melting and refreezing the snow fence, making it a partial ice wall about an inch thick. I then got started carving through said snow fence and ice wall on the side facing the forest, feeling that it would be better if the only point of egress was away from a potential avalanche, no matter how unlikely. Slowly, I cut through, making an interesting cross-section of sticks and snow more than a foot thick. It was going to be a pain getting rid of all the snow, but that was a problem I could deal with later. I eventually finished with the sun directly overhead and took a break to eat my lunch, a huge juicy slab of bird beast. I walked over, sitting on a stool I had made, and placed my stone plate on my lap, cutting a huge chunk for Lupe, dropping it in the bowl next to me. “A table,” I told myself, that's the next thing I should have made, a table to eat and craft on, a large table I could use for everything. Gods I missed having a proper place to sit and work at.

I ate my meal, eyeing my woodpile, there were a couple of pieces that stuck out to me, long and thick, sturdy pieces, and I could always add on to them. I got up, placing my half-finished food on my stool, and jogged over to the woodpile, grabbing out all the wood I needed, and quickly got to work, carefully welding planks together, sanding them down to an evenish level, and grabbed a couple of thicker sticks, and attached those to the bottom, before cutting them down to an even length. In less than ten minutes I had made a usable table, about three feet by three feet, and about four feet tall, okay I made a card table, but sitting at it, leaning on it, while I ate, was amazing. You never know what you'll miss until its gone, even the little things. Everything that I made to return to normalcy, or as normal as I could make it, helped me feel less tension, I could almost physically feel myself loosen up, I had been enjoying myself sure, but I still had a nagging feeling, that I still had things to do, that this was going to fail miserably.

I got up from my lunch and felt great, much more refreshed and ready than usual, and got back to work turning my campsite into a cabin. I walked out of my fence, to my fallen trees, and got to work turning them into planks with my rib saw/ax. I finished up my carving by nightfall and had already started to create an extended roof, building off my hut, having raised its roof two more feet, and creating a cross of wood, resting on the thick ice walls of the fence, meeting in the middle, and I added a thick supporting pole of wood in the center, knowing enough that my roof would have to deal with a heavy load. I was halfway done with my roof before I ran out of the wood of the second tree. The moon had already risen and was now looming over me, and Lupe had already curled up by the fire.

I decided I was done for the day and scooped Lupe up, and carried him into my hut, the mess I made yesterday having already been cleaned up. I started my little indoor fire, roasting a small chunk of meat high above it, my plans to build a stone chimney somewhere much further down on my list. I laid down on my new bed, and pulled Lupe into my arm, petting him with the Manaphage as I entered my meditation, and eventually falling asleep.

 

commissioned this on fiverr from mmorgan6

https://www.fiverr.com/mmorgan6

12