Journal Entry 47
340 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 47

I woke up, freezing my ass off, Lupe licking my face nervously. I blinked a few times, trying to clear my vision, but the left side was unchanging, a blur without movement, “fuck fuck fuck fuck, what's going on!?” I reached up and felt my face with my right hand, feeling rock hard stone, and when I craned my head, I could see my left shoulder and part of my torso was covered in the Manaphage, and tracing it up my body, half my neck, and a quarter of my head was just as smooth. I looked at my left hand and found that there was some good news. It had become a full-on hand now, four fingers and a thumb, I was able to flex them and everything, not the best trade-off, but I could deal with it, just gotta survive.

I pulled out my phone as I stood up, trying to look at my reflection in the black screen, seeing some of the damage that had been done. It looked like I had gotten lucky, all things considered, only a quarter of my face had been blasted away, starting at the left corner of my mouth and moving up to halfway across my left eye, bisecting my eyebrow, and replacing my left eye entirely. I tried moving blinking it, and got nothing, moving it seemed to work, but the vision was blurry, much blurrier than if I had glasses. It sucked, a lot, don't get me wrong, I couldn't see really, even more of my body was part of the Manaphage now, my leather robe was burnt to hell, and I was having weird dreams of the past.

I opened my phone, noticing that the green bar had filled up, and the icons were glowing again, without hesitation, I pressed the glowing dog head one, feeling a dull headache form in my head, and looking down, I saw Lupe put his paws on his head, in obvious pain, before I saw above his head appear a little nameplate with his name written across it, followed by a little sad face. I bent over and picked him up, cradling him in my arms, “sorry buddy, it's not gonna last a while, it's just a little improvement, there there.” I was rubbing his back, feeling the glowing patch warm-up under my hand, as he seemed to calm down, my headache subsiding at the same time.

I looked around, finally really taking in my situation, the weirdly warped memories in my dreams pushed to the side as I examined the corpse of the dragon thing. I walked over and kicked it once or twice, I knew it was dead and all, but it still pissed me off. I grabbed it and tried dragging it, finding that it was much lighter than I thought it would be, and when I turned it over I found out why. Half its body had been completely consumed, bite marks everywhere, like Lupe had been chewing on it for a couple of days. How long had I actually been out? I pulled at the meat, finding that it was super tough and dry, it seems like I had absorbed all the moisture in it, I don't know when I had, but I was able to absorb as much life force as possible before it had shot me in the face.

I picked the body back up and started it dragging it home, sure it was lighter than I thought, but it was still a heavy body, all covered in scales and stuff. It gave me time to assess, well, the time, noting that the sun was well overhead, and there was a fresh layer of snow on everything. Thankfully we weren't too far from the hut, miraculously undamaged. As I walked back the dream crept into my mind, it was familiar, the exact events had happened well over five years ago, Boris and I had been injured on a job, but we hadn't been working on a dam or anything, it had been a teardown of an old ass... school building? Hospital? I honestly can't remember, even now, and I had only broken my left arm, there hadn't been any eye damage, Boris had been injured about the same, and Cass had broken up with me in a similar way, except in person. Boris had gotten that special wheelchair, but we never talked about it.

I was confused, and a little worried, were dreams changed because of what had happened to me, and if that's the case, why didn't I have to fight a dragon or something. I made it home soon enough and honestly didn't feel tired. I found that in my rush to leave, I had left my door open, with a half-foot of snow piled up at the entrance. Christ, I was asleep for a whole 24 or more hours wasn't I? I checked my food cauldron, fining the contents completely frozen solid. I sighed to myself, even when injured by a dragon and healed by a magic stone I still had to take care of chores, fuck I wish I could find a town and an inn.

I started my fires, all three of them, and got to cleaning up my place, throwing my burnt leather robes on the table, while I made sure all my things were where I left them. I didn't expect anything had gotten in here, but still, it brought me some ease of mind. I laid back on my bed, and closed my eyes, I was not tired physically, but mentally I was still exhausted, everything I went through hitting me as soon as I laid back. Groaning loudly, I called out to Lupe, expecting him not to do anything, instead, he came to me immediately, hopping up into the bed, and snuggling up against my left side. I rubbed his head, feeling a deep connection with him, and as I stared at his head, I saw the box appear above his head, with his name, and now a smiling face, grinning wide. I noticed his tail wagging and smiled, maybe this function would actually be useful, unlike the other two, but, now that I thought about it, I was able to understand the dragon thing after a bit, was that due to the speech bubble power, was it a translator, but it just needed to adjust itself whenever it found something new?

I was confused about my own abilities already, and the phone was just adding on new problems. I got back to my feet, Lupe hopping up with me, and I brought his bowls with me. I checked the pot, finding that the food had already started to thaw, and shoved my left hand in, shattering about six inches of frozen meat-bone-broth-paste and willed it to heat up, soon enough steam was rising from the pot, the paste already thawed out completely now. I scooped up a ladle full, and filled Lupe's bowl to the brim, before filling my own, and started to eat, relaxed a little by the familiarity of my meal at home.

 

I'm gonna be taking a short break, no new chapters until Wednesday, thank you for understanding.

10