Journal Entry 53
293 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 53

I woke up feeling pretty good, sure my back hurt a little, but I was warm and comfortable. I woke up in a pretty good mood, and clambered out of the trunk, putting Lupe on the ground next to me. I stretched my arms, and walked around the car, looking at my exit out, seeing that there where long shadows cast across the plateau, I quickly started walking across the barren landscape. Stepping on the frozen snow, I found that it was solid enough to walk across, and happily walked on the top, making considerable time across it, not having to trudge through waist-deep snow kept my mood lifted, and after a while I found myself whistling a tune as I walked.

I made it quite a way before actually sinking into the snow, tripping and landing face-first in the still semi-hard ice shell. Startling me out of a daze of just walking. I looked up and around, I had walked long enough that the sun was already above me, and sinking. “I really need to work on not getting into a trance huh Lupe?”

“Berk?”

“I mean yeah, being able to mindlessly do something is good and all, but it can be seriously detrimental to my life expectancy.”

“Bur.”

“Like if we had to fight one of those panther double cat things, that thing was silent until I broke its paw, and that threw its whole thing off, made it run in fear, right?”

“Ba?”

“Oh yeah, you weren't around for that thing, it was a big cat thing, c'mon Lupe, you've slept on its furs.”

“Grrrb.” In my defense, I may have been experiencing sleep deprivation, or I just wanted to talk to someone, but we continued on like that for an hour, before I realized that I was in fact, having a one-sided conversation, as at a certain point Lupe stopped responding altogether. I was entertaining myself with talking, as I was in fact mindlessly walking forward, since all that there was, was a white field before me, and I'd be damned if it was not the most boring thing I would do all day. I really had to make snowshoes specifically for this area, just so I can run across it. Maybe I could make skis, something to fix this wretched situation.

I was walking well into the night, shoveling cold meat-bone-broth stew paste into my mouth when I saw the treetops, I knew I'd be able to make it in one day, and I started slogging through the snow faster, the thought of a comfortable bed, a warm fire and a safe space spurring me on more than anything else. Soon enough I made it to the edge, looking over the gully between rock wall and forest, finding that I had kept the best direction, and was only off course by a quarter-mile. I cheerily slid down the mountainside, quickly reaching the bottom, and found that the snow was much thinner down here, only to the top of my shoes, much better, and when I walked like ten feet into the forest, it was just a thin covering.

I started jogging through the forest, my legs tired, and only feeling the whispers of speed. Lupe was next to me and seemed to be equally as exhausted, and soon enough we made it home, the hut looking more beautiful than ever and untouched save a foot or two of snow on its roof, and not as much around it. I shoved open the door, having essentially frozen it shut when we left since it is not like we had a lock or something on this side of the door. Inside I had installed a bar across it, but more to keep the door shut then to keep anything out.

Upon entering the icebox of a room, I immediately started the fire, and cleared out all my vent and chimney holes, allowing a slight draft of air in, and letting the smoke out the top. Lupe crawled over next to the growing fire, and laid down, falling asleep immediately. I wanted to do the same but I had to take care of other things first. Lighting the second slow cook fire, and the third bedroom fire. Then I threw some meat in a small stone bowl and covered it, before placing it below a fire, looking forward to having some pulled meat for a change, as I was getting rather sick of the meat-bone-broths paste stew, as was Lupe, and I grabbed a rather large chunk of meat, and quickly thawed it out, and even warmed it up to well above body temp, before placing it in his bowl.

I filled his other bowl with snow, placing it near the fire to melt into water. I filled my own cup, and sat on my stool, relaxing comfortably, and fading in and out of consciousness.

10