Journal Entry 62 – Lazy day x1
206 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 62

well, one horrifying realization later, and a nibble on the said sentient animal meat, I decided that it was alright given the circumstance, it was too damn tasty to give up, and the stew I made from the meat had such good broth when chilled. Anyway, back to the day.

I got up from the stones, and picked up Lupe, before climbing up the steep rock face. I slowly made my way up, eventually making it up, and stretched my back, now on the top level, and ready to get home to some cold meat stew, probably frozen, hopefully, frozen. I started with a light jog, before picking up the pace, and started to run, and soon broke into a full sprint, Lupe lagging behind like usual, slowing me down a little so I could keep up with his pace.

We made it home before the sun reached its zenith, and found it intact. There was a fresh one to two feet of snow outside, and we waded through, planning on dealing with that later. I unsealed my door and was thankfully greeted by a lack of smell. I stepped in and closed the door us. Lupe hopped around excitedly, and I entered the bedroom, lighting the mini fire in there, and cleared the chimney of snow, using a curved branch with a bunch of its twigs, imbued with heat to melt through the snow. Lupe curled up around the fire and started napping immediately. I shrugged and scratched behind his ears before starting the other two fires. The contents of the pot frozen halfway to the center. I broke through the layer of ice to find this out, and fished out some shreds of meat, and quickly heated them, before scarfing them down, the scent of roast meat inciting a hunger in me.

I grabbed a large haunch of meat and thawed it out, before quickly spitting it, and throwing it over the fire pit, so it could start cooking. I then started breaking up the rest of the ice in the pot, infusing it with small amounts of heat so it would warm up slightly faster, still avoiding cracking it, every now and then grabbing a handful of meat and heating and eating it up.

I set enough of my meat scraps in a bowl for Lupe and finished off the water skin, the clean water very refreshing in the cold air, the hut slowly starting to heat up to above freezing temperatures. I decided that I should probably make a separate room for the meat, so it would stay cooler than the rest of the hut. I stepped outside, and treading in my own steps, cut down a tree, sectioned it, and dried it in record time. I then brought in the sections and quickly built up my icebox room, triple layering the room with an air gap an inch wide between each section. It was a small room with tons of shelves and a large vent to the outside. Every time I used the Manaphage for woodworking it got easier to do, I was becoming a multi-tool of woodworking, I could saw, meld, drill, and smooth with the touch of my left hand, and it was only getting more powerful.

I was absorbing the snow outside using every inch of the Manaphage to quickly recharge for the third time in an hour when I heard Lupe barking quietly, I poked my head in, and saw his food bowl was empty. “Jeez Lupe, haven't had enough?”

“Bur bur!” he barked, shaking his head at me. “okay, okay, gimme a sec,” and I grabbed the ladle, and scooped up a large amount of still cold stew, and poured it into his bowl warming it up with the Manaphage and set it in front of him. He quickly tucked in, sloppily eating up his food, as I placed a bowl of water next to him, before getting back to putting the finishing touches on my meat locker. I packed in the snow and sectioned the meat by monster, and labeled them with little placards of wood that I had carved, more because I was bored and had nothing else to do. The day was pretty much over, and I ate my dinner, the large haunch I was roasting, it had turned out to be from the bird beast, and the sweet-spicy juice running down my chin was especially delicious after eating the rather blandish jerky I had brought with me. I laid back, and as usual, meditated and went to bed.

I woke up late in the day, feeling refreshed, my familiar bed, and comforts letting me sleep well since the bed was firmly attached to the ground. I got up and checked my fires, adding wood to them and stoking the roasting pit up since it was my main room warmer. I checked my meat locker and grabbed a smaller section of meat, maybe the size of a plate from the snake section, and grabbed a sizable portion of dragon meat for the stew. I closed the door behind me, Lupe looking on in horror, an emoticon I can only describe as aghast above his head. “what, needed a better way to store it all besides snow piles buddy.”

“Awoooo!”

“oh, you cant sneak snacks in the middle of the night now, huh?”

“bur?” he looked away sheepishly, a whistling emoticon above his head. I threw him a chunk of meat from the dragon, and he quickly turned from sad to joyous and chowed down as I threw the rest of the dragon meat into the pot, and half the snake meat in with it. The rest of the snake meat was wrapped up on a spit, slowly roasting away. I sat down at my table and ate my breakfast of meat, and drank my bitter snow water. I was way too used to it at this point, and it didn't really bother me, at least the water didn't.

I had a couple of things to do today, but all in all, it wasn't going to be much, just the usual cut wood for the fire, and build something useful. I quickly cut the trees down and got to work on the useful item of the day, a sled! And another hut, this time for long term storage, also snowshoes. It took a while, but I was able to make a rather functional sled, like a snow sled for dog racing, and I made some tennis racket sized snowshoes, and found them to work pretty well. While I was at it, I made some skis and a couple of barrels, the tinkering groove getting to me, and improving my average mood. I worked into dusk, and before I knew it, I was done with the day, and ate my dinner, trodding inside, and making some quick hooks, hung up my skis and snowshoes, having left the sled in a hastily made shed for it. I placed the barrels in the room on either side of the door inside, acting as little tables for stuff. I soon started getting ready for bed, having played a couple of rounds of fetch with Lupe, my accuracy with my left hand slowly improving. I laid back, meditation than sleep coming to my well-practiced mind, and I soon drifted off to sleep.

8