Chapter 1: The Journey Begins
445 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If someone happened to look up into the sky and caught the clouds parting at just the right angle they would see something that for most would be considered impossible. Fortunately for the sanity of all those involved this person was cloaked in a power that caused all those that saw her ignore what they saw

This lone woman hovered high above the rooftops of the sleeping neighborhood below. What she saw filled her with disquiet. 

She folded her arms and slowly spun in a tight circle. How can these people be satisfied living this way? She wondered in abject frustration as she viewed the dilapidated dwellings the people below lived in. She sneered. They exist as little more than animals, sheep to be led from one perceived entertainment to the next.

In the short time she’d spent here she’d learned to hate this world and everything it represented. If her mission hadn’t required her to be here she would have made razing this entire world to the ground her life's goal. From her point of view, this realm held absolutely no redeeming qualities besides providing kindling.

And yet. The exasperated woman stopped spinning, unfolded her arms and blew out a long breath. The fate of my realm rests on the shoulders of someone from this wretched place. She knew this to be true but the reality of it sometimes made her head spin.

According to her master, the fate of their realm depended on her finding and returning with a specific individual. Unfortunately due to the nature of the spell, her master used she only had a limited amount of time to find this person. To make matters worse today was the last day she had to complete her mission.

Fortunately for her, she'd been given several clues in order to better facilitate her mission. Those clues included the exact neighborhood she should focus her search on, the exact time of day, but unfortunately not the specific day she would find her quarry, and a simple prophecy.

From the worst place shall you find that which you need to save us all. 

From his pain will you know you have found that which you seek.

Weep not for the shell for it is of little import.

Take the soul because within it shall our realm find salvation.

Her thoughts were interrupted by loud disturbance. It took her a moment to find the source of the noise. When her eyes finally settle on it the disgust this realm elicited in her magnified tenfold.

”Get the fuck out and don't come back!” A door forcefully swung open, immediately followed by the sight of a large man physically throwing a slightly smaller man out the doorway and onto the sidewalk below. When the smaller man landed the taller one smiled, clapped his hands together as if knocking off the dust from a hard day's work then slammed the door behind him.

Energy flared in her eyes as she used her powers to visually bridge the distance between them so she could get a better look at the man, and what she saw surprised her. He’s not nearly as old as I thought he was. 

She judged his age to be no older than eighteen at the most. This meant that the man that had thrown him out was more than likely his father or its equivalent. 

While her thoughts were elsewhere the younger man dusted himself off and began to walk away. As he walked the sounds of laughter could be heard coming from several doorways as he walked past them. Judging by the blank look on his face it would be hard to tell if the laughter affected him. Regardless the sound followed him as he walked

I wonder where he's going?

Unseen she followed from her exalted vantage point and watched as he traveled several blocks caught a bus that traveled several more miles. When he got off the bus he walked several more blocks until he reached the entrance to what she had come to know as a ”hobby shop”.

Once he entered the store he visibly relaxed. He walked through the store, choosing several light novels as he did so. Once he’d made his selections he found a comfortable chair and began to read.

He spent an hour there before he finally left. As he stood in front of the business he looked around indecisively. The way he just stood there it was obvious he didn't know what to do next. 

 

She didn't know why but she found this man intriguing. 

14