Wand in Hand
2.3k 13 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I am perfectly aware that this has chapter breaks in the text in a single page instead of actually being split into chapters. Consider though, that those chapters are actually very short and I would not feel comfortable splitting them apart. Anyways, Magical Girl story, I like what I established, I especially like the mom, and to be completely honest? I've been contemplating a rewrite and expansion on it as my next big long term project, now that Deviled Egg has finished publishing and I'm editing that into Gourmet Deviled Egg as a Remastered Release with DLC for Purchase. Anyways, have fun.

Chapter 1

 

I was woken up by the feeling of something landing on me. Opening my eyes and checking the clock on my phone, I found it was only 11 pm. I rubbed my eyes and looked at what had landed on me. God I hoped this wasn’t sleep paralysis. Okay wait no I had moved to grab my phone to check the time. Not paralysed. That meant I had no explanation for the creature on me. Undeniably cute, with long droopy ears, a long tail with a ribbon on it. Looked like a mascot. And then it spoke. “Well hi there, human! I’m Potato Bun! And thanks to the spark you have, you have been chosen to become a Magical Girl!” I blinked at it. I turned on a lamp on my nightstand. I rubbed my eyes again. Then it hit me and I nervously laughed. 

“Yeah, uhm, that’s a- there’s gonna be… there’s gonna be a problem with that…” I turned my gaze away from the adorable mascot before me. God why did Potato Bun have to be so cute?! Like a starter pokemon!

“And what problem might that be?” They had tilted their head to the side questioningly. I sighed.

“Because I’m… a boy.” I brought my Marceline the Vampire Queen blanket further over me, as Bun scratched their head. They then tapped the air before a small screen popped up floating in front of them. Not something I could read.

“Huh, is that so? Well, only girls have sparks, and only girls can transform to fight the Nightmares.” They dismissed the screen with a poke, before something materialised in front of me, a small stick with a moon on one end. The colors pink, blue and white. “Get out of bed, hold your Magical Girl Stick and say the phrase! ‘By The Powers That Be, Let My Spirit Free!’” I grabbed the stick, but I was still a mess of emotions. Surprise. Shock. Denial. Hopefulness? Why that one? I mean I just got woken up in the middle of the night by a small creature claiming me to be a magical girl. But, despite that, I did make my way out of bed, holding the stick awkwardly. 

Deep breath in, deep breath out. I raised the stick. “By… By the powers that be… let my spirit free…” hopefully my half-hearted attempt would prove to Bun that I wasn’t a magical girl. Okay no, it wasn’t half-hearted. I always stutter. I don’t like using my voice much. Maybe this was all a weird dream after all. But, if it wasn’t, and this worked, what would that mean for me? 

It meant I was in for a rollercoaster of a life. The crescent moon on the stick filled out with light, becoming a full moon. The circle then jumped towards my chest, and I found myself floating in the air. The light spread all over my form, and I desperately wanted to panic, but a calm washed over me. My 16 year old boyish form shifted: Waist pinching in, hips developing, breasts growing, shoulders squeezing in. Head getting slightly heavier under the weight of what I figured was hair. And then the light started forming shapes. I could see a skirt materialising around my waist, pleated and not too long, with a strap loose off of it. Gloves forming on my hands, covering my forearms and having a flared out detached sleeve look to them. A crop top resembling a sleeveless sailor uniform on my chest. Slightly heeled boots that were snug against my legs like stockings. And then I landed on the ground, and the light broke away from me forming stars and diamonds and such. 

“I knew it! I knew you were a Magical Girl!” Potato Bun was throwing their little fists in the air excitedly, but I awkwardly wobbled my way to the closet, opening it to check myself in the mirror inside. Pink twintails to the middle of my back, one tied with a blue ribbon, the other with a white one, with the color scheme being throughout the whole outfit. Which reminded me of a certain virtual idol. I looked cute. Undeniably cute. I still saw me in the mirror, but as if through some sort of filter. A shocked smile grew on my face as tears started flowing. 

“Heh, I’m a… haha I’m a… I’m aAAAAAAAAA” My scream rang throughout the house, as Potato Bun covered their ears. Frantic running could be heard throughout the hall. The door to my room opened, my mom standing in it. 

“Who’s screaming here? What happened, David, sweetie, you alright?” She was looking frantically around the room, before her gaze fell on me. “Who… who are you?” As I turned to face her, Potato Bun spoke up. 

“Usually we try to keep the parents out of the loop, but I guess this is unavoidable now. Good day ma’am! I’m Potato Bun! And your child has been chosen to fight against Nightmares due to the spark she possesses!” They put their hands on their hips, looking self assured, as mom looked panicked towards me. 

“Davey? Is it really you?” She stepped towards me, and the crazed smile turned into an expression of worry. 

“M-mom I don’t… I don’t know, I don’t know… mom I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I didn’t know it’d work, I-I thought it wouldn’t since I’m a b-boy… but… but it did… a-and now I… I got…” My knees got weak, and moving swiftly after noticing it, mom held me in a hug. Her hand on the back of my head, I cried into her shoulder. She shot a glare to Potato Bun.

“How does he turn it off. How does he go back to civilian?” Her voice was full of purpose.

“She can change back from her Magical Girl Form by saying ‘Powers That Be, Shield My Heart.’” Potato Bun replied, as mom broke the hug to hold my face. 

“Hey, Davey, sweetheart, you heard the critter. Come on, you can say it.” She petted my head, and I nodded, tears still flowing. 

“P-Powers that be, sh-shield my heart…” The return transformation was nowhere near as dramatic as the previous one. Just two seconds of glowing before the light on me broke away and revealed my old form. 

“There we go honey, it’s going to be fine, it’ll be okay.” Mom helped me get back to bed, as Potato Bun jumped a bit on it to make space. Mom shot them a glare again. “Why did you make my son go through something like that?” She crossed her arms. 

“Because she has the spark of a Magical Girl! And as you saw can transform! So she must join the other girls in fighting the Nightmares and protecting the Earth!” Potato Bun threw their hands in the air to dramatically nail their point home, before mom picked them up by the back of the neck. 

“David is my son. Unless he himself tells me he’s a girl, he isn’t one. I won’t believe this unless he comes up to me and outright says it out loud in his own words.” Why would I tell mom I was a girl? I’m a boy, aren’t I? She moved Bun closer to her face, so as to be staring directly into their eyes. “If he is one, IF, then I’m going to be really thankful he felt comfortable enough to let me know, and will do everything in my power to help.” Help with what, Mom? What would I need help with? Mom threw Bun on my desk. “HOWEVER, he’s a 16 year old High Schooler, and THAT’S where his focus should be. Getting through school, making friends, existing. I will NOT have him fight in some secret war because a mascot character said so.” She sat down next to me on the bed and held my shoulder to bring me close. “You got that, Mr Potato Bun?” 

“It’s Ms Potato Bun, but I am but a messenger and guide! It wasn’t me who chose her to be a Magical Girl.” Bun straightened herself out on my desk, using the pile of manga on it as a hold to stand up, before she sat down more comfortably on it. “She can try and fight against it, ignore it. But Sparks are only in the hearts of girls that feel strongly about injustice. That have a kind and generous heart.” She pointed to the stick I was holding. “Sooner or later, she will end up using this power to protect her friends from danger.” Potato Bun floated closer. “Sooner or later, she will need to transform again. And I will be there to guide and protect her.” 

Mom sighed and rubbed her eyes with one hand in frustration. “I’m not happy about it, and, again, stop calling David a girl unless he himself tells you he is one.” I cleared my throat a bit to let them both know I wanted to say something. 

“I-I don’t… I don’t mind the pronouns used… I don’t know… I don’t know what it means, but…” Mom petted my head again. 

“Okay sweetie, you take your time to figure that one out. Okay? If it turns out you are a girl, that’s perfectly fine. I just wish it wasn’t something like this that sparked your questioning.” She rubbed my back and got off my bed. “Anyways, it’s a bit past 11, you got school tomorrow, I got work tomorrow, so back to sleep young man.” Mom turned off the big light, and I climbed under my sheets and turned off my lamp. 

“Good night, Mom.”

“Good night, sweetheart.”

Chapter 2

 

“You’re still around? I said Davey’s not joining your secret war!” Mom’s voice coming from nearby woke me up, as I opened my eyes and saw her standing in the door, glaring at Potato Bun. I sat up off the bed and started getting ready for school. 

“I’ve been assigned to watch over her, and so I shall do that, even if she tries refusing to fight.” Bun crossed her arms and huffed, before turning to me. “Wait don’t you have a school uniform to wear?” She turned her head questioningly, as both me and mom snorted. 

“You think I’d have Davey suffer through Catholic school or something? With corporal punishment by using rulers and such on the students? He’s got too much anxiety and insecurity for that.” Mom turned and began making her way to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. “Regular school with a support network. I only wish they’d do something about the teasing, I can’t afford a lawyer to sue them for overlooking bullying.” 

“Oh, I see.” Bun scratched her head as I finished dressing and turned to her.

“Did...did you uhm… did you get the i-idea of how… of how humans work from… from anime?” I scratched the back of my head, before I went to grab my school bag. Maybe I could have Bun as a watching buddy, at least.

“They did have us watch many animated shows to train us, yes. Not sure what they were hoping we’d learn from it.” Bun floated next to me as I left my room and joined mom for breakfast. The moment she saw Bun floating next to me, she sighed. 

“I am not feeding someone that’s drafting child soldiers. So I hope you don’t have to eat.” She put down the plates on the table as I sat down, and Bun looked surprised. 

“I… don’t have to eat, yes, but I enjoy it nevertheless.” She landed on the table as mom gave her a customer service smile. 

“Good.” She turned to me right after, a true kind smile replacing her fake one. “You okay sweetie? Got enough rest?” She tousled my messy neck length black hair, and I nodded. 

“Y-yeah, yeah I got… I got enough sleep.” Biting down on a piece of toast, I tried to keep myself busy by eating, as I saw Bun drooling while looking at my meal. 

“You stop that Ms Potato Bun or I’m going to whack you with the morning paper.” Bun gulped right away after mom’s threat, as we finished breakfast quietly. 

“Right, got everything for today sweetheart, forget anything?” Mom asked as we climbed into the car, and I double checked my bag, shaking my head to confirm that I didn’t forget anything. 

 

It was… awkward walking into school. Potato Bun decided to hide in my backpack, pretending to be a plush toy. That wouldn’t be too bad, except she was keeping her head and arms out of the bag. So the snickers around me had an obvious cause. All I could do was sigh, walk fast, try to make myself small. The usual. 

It didn’t work. I felt a tug on my backpack, and as I turned saw that Potato Bun had been taken by the bullies. Well, one bully really. “What’s this St-Stuttering Dave? Bringing toys to school? What are you, five?” Horton laughed, as he taunted me by shoving Potato Bun in my face. “Grow up and grow a pair you pussy.” He grabbed Bun’s head, probably planning to tear it off. Which, if she was a plush toy, with his strength would be easy. Unfortunately for all three of us, she couldn’t keep the act up and grabbed onto Horton’s hand with her arms.

“Ouch! Hey, stop that! That hurts! I’m a living thing!” The surprise made him throw her at my face. As I peeled her off, he began to shout. 

“What the fuck Cloudton? What the fuck? The hell is that thing?” He pointed towards Bun, as I sighed and put her in my backpack again. 

“She… she showed up i-in my room last… last night… and claimed that…” My voice went as quiet as I could get it, barely above a whisper “... that I’m a… a magical… a magical girl…” Horton had by now shook of his surprise, but unfortunately his hearing was too good. 

“What, Magical Girl? Like Sailor Moon or something?” He struck the pose “By the power of the moon I will punish you? For real?” I shrugged and awkwardly nodded. “But you’re a guy! You can’t be a Magical GIRL as a guy, get real! Even my little sister knows this, and she eats those shows up!” He shoved me, and I stepped back a bit. 

“I-it’s not like… it’s not like I ASKED for… for Potato Bun to show up, I don’t… I don’t even WANT the power… I feel… I feel weird looking at myself when… when transformed” I held my shoulder, and tried to leave the conversation, continue my way to class. I meant it about feeling weird seeing my transformed self. I didn’t hate how I looked yesterday. I was just really, really shocked. Horton did not want the conversation to end so swiftly, however. 

“Transformed? You for real? So what, you turn into a chick or something?” He had me backed up against a wall, his arm on it to keep me closed in. Right then the bell rang. “You are going to show up on the football field during lunch. I want to get my buddies together to see it. And you’re going to transform for me and my friends, got it? I want to see if you turn into a freak or something.” He shoved me again and kept walking, as I clutched my wrist in front of my chest, breathing heavily. 

“I-in and out… i-in a-a-and out…” I stood there for a second, going through breathing exercises, before I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to face the source. Emily, Her blonde hair in a pixie cut, her green eyes behind a pair of glasses, her face full of concern. 

“Dave? You okay, buddy? What happened?” She rubbed my shoulder to help me calm down, and once calm enough I answered. 

“Sh-she happened… she couldn’t… Horton grabbed her a-and thought he was ri-ripping apart a-a-a plushie b-but no she’s she’s alive a-a-and she spoke and, and now Horton knows and he, he wants to, he wants…” I was breathing heavily again, Emily grabbed my face.

“He wants to what, Dave?” 

“H-he wants to… to see me transform… in-into… a… a magical girl…” I saw Emily let go of my face, as she stepped back and observed me. 

“Okay, who is this she you spoke of?” Emily crossed her arms, as Potato Bun poked her head out of my backpack again. “...You got a cute animal mascot?” I nodded in reply. 

“Yes! She has obtained me as her guide and protector!” Bun waved hi at Emily, who raised her eyebrow at me. 

“She?” 

“A-according to… to Potato Bun o-only girls can… transform and stuff…” I fidgeted with my thumbs, nervously looking down. 

“Oh. Are you one, Dave?” Emily tilted her head to the side, as my gaze shot around. 

“I-I don’t… I don’t know… I’m… I’m supposed to be a boy, right? B-but…”

“Buuuut?” Emily leaned in closer, turning her volume down to a whisper.

“B-but… I don’t… mind when Bun calls me a girl… and I don’t.... and I don’t know w-what it could mean.” I felt Emily pat my head, and saw her reach out and push Bun back into my backpack, before zipping it closed. 

“Well they picked the most unbelievably nervous kid to be a magical girl, either way. I wouldn’t believe it without the mascot. Come on Dave, we’re gonna be late for class.” She grabbed my wrist and started pulling me along towards class. 

Chapter 3 

 

Class was going okay. By that I mean I was doing the work fine, listening to the teacher, focusing. The snickering was audible and the teacher had to shush the other students often. I didn’t share all my classes with Emily, so pestering was more frequent in classes where she wasn’t there to protect me. As lunch neared, my heart sunk in dread, and I made my way to the football field, Emily catching me on the way there. 

“Hey, Dave? You know you don’t have to do what Horton says, right?” She held my shoulders, and I looked down. 

“I-if I… if I don’t show up he’ll… he’ll just do something… do something worse to me… so I just… I just want to get this over with.” I shrugged Emily’s hands off my shoulders and made my way outside, the early autumn weather bordering on summer still making it comfortably warm, with the sun shining bright, no clouds in the sky. I could already see Horton sitting on the bleachers, phone in hand, a couple of his friends nearby with theirs. Emily sighed and sat down on the bleachers as well, as I stood in the field. Horton cupped his hands in front of his mouth to talk louder. 

“Oooooooh Daaaaaaveeee. Time to turn into a pretty pretty magical girl~ Don’t disappoint us nooooow~” He laughed as his friends joined him, their cameras all turned towards me, definitely recording. I dropped my backpack and let Potato Bun out. 

“Bun… wand…” I extended my hand, as Bun materialised my magical girl stick in my hand. I saw a flash of recognition in Emily’s eyes, that turned into a gentle but knowing smile. What did she know that I didn’t? I sighed and held up my wand. “By the powers that be, let my spirit free.” I heard the guys snort and laugh, which stopped as my transformation began. You remember how it went before, so I’ll skip over that bit. But afterwards, I stood in the field, my hair pink twintails tied with a blue and a white ribbon respectively. My top like that of a sailor uniform, but sleeveless and exposing my stomach. A pleated skirt. Gloves and thigh high boots. My form unmistakably feminine. After a few moments of silence, the guys lost it. 

“Holy shit look at him! He looks like a fucking doll or something!” 

“Like Tim’s anime waifus or whatever the sweaty fuck calls them!” 

“Hey is there still a dick under that skirt or did you grow a pussy, pussy?!” 

“Let me go check.” Horton stood up and almost leapt off the bleachers, rushing towards me and grabbing my chest. What wait what huh? I was in too much shock to respond. “They feel real.” 

“How’d the fuck you know how real tits feel Horton.” 

“You’re right, your mom’s are silicone, how would I know?” The guys were laughing, but I was crying now. Anxiety spiked. Hyperventilating. I could see Emily rush towards Horton, sucker punching him, but I wasn’t all there. As Horton fell down and let go, I fell down from the shock as well, looking up into the clear sky. Cracks of sickly green and yellow and orange spread through it, making it look as if it had shattered. Bun floated near me.

“Oh no, oh no, snap out of it! A Nightmare is being born! A nightmare is coming!” Bun held her head in fear, shaking. Horton meanwhile recovered enough to stand up after Emily laid him out. The cracks made a cage around the field, as it was filled with a sickly colored mist. 

“What the fuck is this?!” Horton and his goons tried to run back to the school building, but as they ran they slammed against an unseen wall, unable to get out. Emily was focusing on getting my breathing stable again, on pulling me back from my attack, as the mist started swirling and forming, laughing, coalescing into a form. 

“Why did it take you so long to bring me forth, Horton? I wanted to torture the little freak for so long now. I could feel his spark for months. Disgusting, thinking he could ever be a girl.” It was difficult to describe the form. Skin was like that of a slug, its face a mess of eyes with a vertical mouth in the middle. Spikes like those of a hedgehog growing in places. Six very human looking legs holding up the body. The Nightmare leaned over me, as Emily helped me sit up. “Oh you’re going to power me up for centuries with all your tasty anxiety. And insecurity. I’ll give you hope, and then tear it away, over and over and over again, until you’re nothing but a husk, a shell, like you should be.” It’s face was right in front of mine, as it grabbed Emily and Potato Bun and threw them aside. “Horton, you and your friends may leave.” A small tear in the barrier opened up, and my bullies rushed out. It quickly closed behind them.

  I just stared into its face. It hurt when the Nightmare said I could never be a girl. Why did it hurt? How could it hurt? I’m supposed to be a boy, aren’t I? I’m supposed to… to man up, to face my fears, to stop being a coward. I’m supposed to like sports and working out and suits. I should be learning how to shave or how to groom facial hair…

I didn’t want any of that. I didn’t… I didn’t want to go through that. I liked what I saw in the mirror yesterday. I liked the cute girl I could turn into. And I… had no time to continue processing those feelings. I stood up, clenching my wand tight. Seeing Emily and Potato Bun off to the side, my anxiety was overridden with a sense of determination. I had to destroy this thing. It had hurt my friends, it was born from my bullying and so it was my responsibility. I felt a surge of power in my wand, as the moon lit up, blinding the Nightmare for a second and pushing it back. The Wand’s shape shifted, the handle extending somewhat, the end bulging out into a sphere, before it grew spikes. 

My eyes glazed over as I focused on my target. My expression was blank, my breathing calm and steady. I swung up in a swift motion, connecting with what counted for it’s chin. While I barely felt the blow, the Nightmare was definitely affected by the impact. It flew into the air, landing several meters back. I took but a single step forward and found myself propelling towards it. My Morningstar hit it right in the center. I used the momentum to fling myself into the air, doing a little spin before hitting its face in the air. There is an audible crunch of teeth being shattered. My feet connect with the ground once more, and I strike upwards again, caving in its chin. It flew up, screaming. Without a second of thought, my  Morningstar shifts to a Sickle. I hold it out, aiming it for the correct spot. The Nightmare connects with it, it’s own weight forcing it’s body onto the blade. What counted for it’s head fell off, screaming for the last few moments, before turning to mist. The cracks receded. The sky mended itself. And the moment my instincts sensed the danger was taken care of? That the issue was resolved? I crumbled like a house of cards. No idea what had overcome me.

Emily was at my side within moments, stumbling a bit and holding her side. Potato Bun joining her. She held my shoulder comfortingly as my wand shifted back to it’s default form. I looked towards her, and teary eyed said a phrase that hurt me to say. “Powers that be, shield my heart.” 

I transformed back. The tears didn’t stop. “I-I didn’t… I didn’t want to… I didn’t want to say it… I don’t… I don’t want to… to be like this, anymore…” Emily carefully hugged me with one arm. I rested my head on her shoulder and cried into it. “I want… I want to… to be like I was moments ago. I… I want… I want to be a cute girl.” Emily’s hug shifted to petting my head, as she sighed knowingly and giggled a bit. 

“You know, a symptom of being a girl is wanting to be one. At least that’s what Alice says at the queer hangout.” I lifted my head, blinking at her. “Yeah, I’m pansexual. What straight girl would get her hair like this and wear overalls over plaid. You know, your wand and look is trans pride flag colored.” 

“Trans…?” I knew the word. And it clicked. I was that word. “I’m… I’m trans.” My tears switched from tears of sadness to tears of joy, as I smiled. 

Chapter 4

 

The remaining classes after lunch were weird. I could see people looking up from their phones at me in disbelief. Horton and his crew of bullies didn’t try to approach me afterwards. Probably hoping to avoid another Nightmare sprouting. What if this one wanted to eat them, versus letting them go to keep up their reign of terror? What hurt most however was being in this form. I knew what I wanted. What I needed. But, I couldn’t risk transforming again. Not now. 

Emily accompanied me back home, since Mom wouldn’t be back from work yet. Or so I thought. The moment I opened the door, she gently lead me and Emily to the living room, before she grabbed Potato Bun by the throat and pulled her out of my bag. “Why the ever loving FUCK is there footage of my son transforming into his magical girl form on Twitter?” She glared at Bun, who shrugged, as mom sighed and threw her against a wall. She then turned to me and grabbed my shoulders. “Davey, you doing okay? You okay with sharing, or is Emily up to speed so she can talk for you?” I felt Emily rub my back, as I turned to her and she nodded in understanding, clearing her throat. 

“Right, so, Pamela. Still feels awkward. But, okay. Horton tried to rip apart the mascot you threw at the wall, thinking she was a plushie. She talked and Horton made Davey spill the beans.” Emily moved from rubbing my back to petting my head, mom let go of my shoulders and sat down next to me, opposite of Emily. “And Horton then forced… Davey to transform. Davey’s anxiety flared up when the guys kept pestering Davey, which… made one of the Nightmares appear. Davey was awesome at kicking its ass, but, yeah, the guys recorded the transformation.” Emily shrugged, as mom raised her eyebrow questioningly. 

“I… noticed you completely avoided using pronouns there.” She turned to me and grabbed my hand. “Davey, is there something you’d like to tell me?” I turned to face mom, gulping, opening my mouth a couple times before words finally started coming out. 

“The… the Nightmare it… it attacked me with words first… and… and one of the things it said was that I’ll… that I’ll never get to be a girl… and…” I took a couple breaths “And hearing that… hurt.” I looked mom into the eyes. “Mom I’m… I don’t want to be… I’m not...” Mom held my face and just smiled warmly. Emily was holding my shoulders now. 

“It’s okay sweetie, take your time, find your words.” Mom rubbed my cheek, I took a couple breaths. 

“I’m a girl. I’m trans.” Mom letting go of my face and pulling me into a tight hug was expected. 

“Do you have a new name chosen yet?” 

“No… I-I don’t… I, uhm, I hoped you’d… you’d help me with that.” I felt Emily let go at that moment, and saw her walking towards the door. 

“I think this should be a family thing, text me your new name when you figure it out, alright?” Emily waved from the door before leaving. I heard mom chuckle softly. 

“I wanted a name that started with a Day sound, since you were going to make all my days brighter. That’s why I decided David if you were a boy, Daisy if you were a girl. And, well, you’re not a boy. So I’m sorry for that.” Mom pulled me back a bit out of the hug so we were looking at each other again. 

“Daisy… Daisy… I… I like Daisy.” We both smiled at each other, as mom got off the couch. 

“Okay Daisy, you let me know what you’d like to do next, but go to your room for a minute or two to think first, okay?” She crouched in front of Potato Bun, who was nursing her head still from being thrown at the wall. She was glaring at the mascot. Pointing at her now. “I am fucking annoyed my daughter figured herself out through you, because your bullshit has put her in danger magically, socially AND physically.” She grabbed the back of Bun’s neck again, and stood up. “Now you’re going to tell her exactly how she can stay in her magical girl form forever. Because thank fucking christ you at least made physically transitioning easy for her.” She threw Bun towards me as I made my way to my room, Bun landing on my shoulder and sighing. 

“This is why we usually keep parents out of the loop. Is she always so rough?” 

“O-only towards… towards military folk, and she sees you as military folk… recruiting child soldiers…” 

“Why?” 

“Dad was a soldier. He didn’t… he didn’t understand my… my anxiety, and…” I grabbed my shoulder. “A-anyways, mom divorced him, got full custody, we moved far away right before… before I started school.” I reached my room, closed the door, and opened my closet to have the mirror accessible. Seeing myself hurt. My neck-length black hair, my anxious eyes, my masculine shape. “O-Okay Bun… you… you heard mom… how can I… how can I stay in girl mode for...forever?” She had made her way over to my bed, so I turned to her. 

“Unless you say the cancel phrase, you stay in your magical girl form. You also have to be holding your wand to transform.” I nodded at her reply. 

“C-can I… can I take… take off the… the outfit?” I fiddled with my thumbs, blushing a bit.

“You’re the only one who can remove it. And there’s a spell to poof it away until you need it, where it’ll just replace your clothes. It’s Powers That Be, Unencumber me.” Potato Bun summoned the wand for me, I quickly grabbed it. Then I decided I didn’t want to lose my clothes when transforming, and quickly stripped. 

“By the Powers that be, let my spirit free!” I knew the light always calmed me down. But now the warmth it filled me with wasn’t just peaceful. It was joyful. I was turning into me. When the transformation finished, I looked down at myself and smiled. I hadn’t appreciated the texture of the clothes until now. Felt sturdy, but also soft and light. And gosh my hair had just become extremely silky and soft. I turned to face the mirror, and saw the massive smile on my face. “Powers that be, Unencumber me.” The outfit and the ribbons in my hair turned to light, before poofing away. I was not expecting it to leave me without underwear on. My face turned red as a cherry from how hard I was blushing. 

“You did strip, so it didn’t have an outfit to change back into.” Bun pointed out as I looked at myself in the mirror. I shook my head to get the awkwardness out. This was my body. That was my pretty face. My gorgeously silky hair. My unblemished skin. My breasts. My crotch. My… my gentle abs? My ever so slightly toned muscles of a dancer? O-oh gosh. 

“I-I didn’t expect the… the… the toning… and… and um… wow… I-I’m just… I-I’m still still explicitly feminine… you you can’t… you can’t look at me like… like this and NOT see a… see a… see a really… really really… really pretty girl.” The blush was back. Oh no, the blush was back. I threw my wand on the bed near Bun and went into my closet. I needed something temporary to wear. To cover myself up with so I wasn’t constantly blushing from how I looked. Random pair of briefs, a bit tight around the hips but what can you do. Stretchy track pants, cover me up and adjust to me. I needed more skirts, asap. A too-big t-shirt mom got me for a Halloween costume once. Not great on the chest or nipples. I stepped out of my room and made my way back to the living room to join mom. Oh. Bounce. I guess the costume kept that in check. 

I stand there shyly, looking from side to side, brushing a loose strand of hair behind my ear. “M-mom I’m… I’m a girl named Daisy… I-I’m your daughter.” Mom giggled slightly at me, walking over and pulling me into a hug. 

“We established that already sweetheart.” She patted my head, and I sighed contently into her shoulder. “I love you with all my heart, Daisy. You’re the best daughter I could have asked for. And you seriously need proper clothes, you look like you borrowed your boyfriend’s or something.” Oh no, the blush was back. 

“M-mom! I don’t… I don’t even know if I… if I like boys or… or girls… bweeeh...” I wailed into her shoulder as she giggled again and kept petting me. 

“You don’t have to know now, sweetie.” I mumbled and sighed in reply to mom, as we just stood there for a minute. 

Chapter 5

 

Somehow, the little video of me transforming had made the news. Put one anxious trans girl on the force, and suddenly the whole mission is outed. Or would be. If people weren’t taking it as just a viral video full of visual effects. 

Mom asked me to avoid reading social media and to just talk to friends on Discord. And I understood her position, trying to keep me away from harassment for at least a little while. 

And so, instead, we were looking at what clothes to buy online. Huh, I guess my store anxiety was tied into dysphoria. That explains a lot. I had the app open on my phone, direct messaging Emily. 

 

AnxiousRabbit: 

So, my name is Daisy. Mom would have named me that had I been... 

I think cis is the word? 

MiraclePunch5000:

Yeah cis

AnxiousRabbit: 

A cis girl. And now we’re shopping online for clothes. Mom told me to avoid twitter tonight. 

MiraclePunch5000:

Ooof yeah good call, it blew up, some folks thinking it was vfxs or something, wondering who girl you is. 

I guess you you would be a better way to say it B) 

But gosh darnit now I wanna help! 

Ask your mom to screenshare or something! 

 

“Mom… Emily wants to help with the shopping, can we screenshare?” I turned to mom, who thought for a moment before shrugging and calling Emily on Discord. I went through ten shades of red that evening from all the blushing I did. Until mom dropped the big one. 

“Yeah, bra shopping is too difficult to do online. It’s something we will have to do in a store so you can try them on.” She rubbed my shoulder as I audibly gulped nervously. 

“D-do we… do we have to… I don’t-I’ll… I’ll make people uncomfortable. And that’ll… that’ll make my anxiety spike.” I looked down and fiddled with my thumbs. 

“Sweetheart, you got magic to transform you. You look like any other girl. With pink hair, fine, I’ll give you that.” Mom brought me closer for a hug. 

“Hell you’re a teenager, so getting size checked again due to growth is not uncommon,” Emily replied from her end. “I could be over in 10 minutes to join you for the trip,” she continued, as I just began burying myself in mom’s shoulder. 

“Daisy doesn’t have anything to wear that fits her, Emily. Thanks for the offer, but maybe later.” I felt Mom pat my head. “I think what she needs now is a quiet movie night in.” Turning to look up at mom, I quickly nodded to confirm her assessment. “I guess that’s it for the call then, Emily, she’ll talk to you later.” 

“Alright, that’s okay. Talk to you later, Daisy!” 

“...Later.” I straightened myself out to end the call. Right away, mom reached for the phone to order us a pizza by the look of things, and I was quietly excited for the chance to relax, especially after a day as crazy as this. 

 

Despite the events of the day, or maybe because of them, the moment my head hit the pillow I dozed off. Potato Bun’s attempts to wake me up were met with me groaning in annoyance. I’m a 16 year old girl, I didn’t want to go patrolling, I just wanted some sleep! Although, it was awkward to sleep with my hair this long. Definitely something I’d have to get used to. 

When I woke up the following morning, still in my feminine form, I was ecstatic, breathing a happy sigh of relief under the blankets, before I shot out of bed, forgetting that I still had nothing to wear. Sure, I had gone to bed in my now ill fitting pyjamas, but guy clothes were not something I was planning to wear. I heard a knock on my door. “Come in!” 

“I feel sorry for the delivery folk, but when you need something fast, you need something fast.” Mom opened the door and put the box she was carrying on my bed. “You put on something nice while I spend some time on the phone with the school explaining things, okay?” I nodded at mom as she left the room. 

 

The outfit I picked for myself was nothing remarkable. I mean, I’d love to immediately jump into wearing dresses, but I feel better easing myself in. So, skinny jeans, a t-shirt and Converse sneakers would have to do for now. With the way the clothes pinched in specific places, it felt like I was enveloped in a constant hug. It felt nice. When I entered the living area though, I could see mom groaning on the couch. “I-is everything okay, mom?” She turned to me the moment I asked the question. Shooting me a smile. 

“It’s nothing sweetie, just, nobody picking up at the school. You look nice.” She dropped the phone on the couch and walked over to me. “And somehow your hair is not a bird’s nest. Magical Girl privileges, huh?” Mom giggled at her joke, at which I could only smile shyly. 

“Yeah. Magical Girl Privileges. Thanks, Mom.” 

“Oh hey, your stutter’s lessened. That another magical effect?” Shit. Mom was right. I hadn’t stuttered at all yet, except when worried. 

“I… don’t think it’s magic. I, well, I like my voice now. I didn’t think about it much, but, yeah. I like this voice. I like how I sound. And I hated how I sounded before, which is why I stuttered so much and spoke so slowly.” Mom gave me a quick hug and headpat again. I caught a glimpse of Potato Bun floating over to us, before her ears perked up. 

“Oh Fiddlesticks. Shoot. Fudge. Damnation and Destruction. Roasted Roosters.” 

“Just say Fuck like any sane person Ms. Potato Bun.” My mom rolled her eyes at the mascot. 

“Trust me Mrs. Cloudton I would very much like to do so in this situation as it is the one appropriate word. Daisy. Your school has turned into a Realm. Not just the football field like yesterday, the entire school.” My eyes widened in surprise as I reached for my phone, shooting Emily a message. 

 

AnxiousRabbit:

Emily please tell me you haven’t gone to school yet, Potato Bun said it’s a Realm now. 

MiraclePunch5000:

Not there yet, what does she mean a Realm? 

AnxiousRabbit:

Like the one the Nightmare made yesterday, I don’t know why. Yesterday it was because of my anxiety, I know that for sure! 

MiraclePunch5000:

So negative emotions bring those fuckers out?

Well I’m glad your mom had you not look at twitter and facebook yesterday. 

School figured out it was not a hoax, there wasn’t a transformed you at school before that day

All hell broke loose. A bunch of the transphobes got themselves a posse and claimed they were gonna shield the girl’s bathroom and locker rooms from you. 

AnxiousRabbit:

Are you suggesting their rampant transphobia made the Realm appear? 

MiraclePunch5000:

Yeah and honestly I’d want to let them rot in there for what they said about you. Do NOT go to twitter Daisy you WILL cry. 

 

“If you’re expecting me to let her go fight a nasty creature again you can say hi to the fridge because I’ll lock your ass in it.” Mom was holding Potato Bun by the scruff of her neck again. 

“Mom. I have to. There’s kids in there. I’m scared too, but, if I don’t stop it, who will?” I was holding my stick, standing by the door, as mom sighed and let go of Potato Bun. 

“I’d expect something like teammates, not a lone operative situation. Why don’t you recruit adults for your army next time?” Mom shot at Bun, before she shook her head and grabbed the car keys. “Screw it. I’m driving you there. That way I get to supervise somewhat.” She opened the door and made for the car, as I and Bun followed. 

 

Chapter 6

 

I could see the Realm before we got close to school. A huge gurgling bubble of red and pink and bone white, oozing like an open fracture. Thankfully it didn’t smell like one. When we got close to the edge, I stepped out of the car, Potato Bun floating next to me. And then I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the four other girls around. 

“Beef! Pork! Chicken! Pizza!” Bun floated towards them, as four mascots looking similar to her popped up, all with differently colored ribbons on their tails. 

“So they dropped you off with that case.” 

“I told Chief Sausage it was a bad idea to pick her.” 

“You said it was a bad idea because what if a boy got a spark by accident.” 

“Well boys don’t get sparks that’s a fact! Boys get Embers and end up as Knights fighting Shadows! It was a very unusual situation!” The four new Buns were arguing with each other. I was very confused about which was which. 

“Ooof, ouch, that’s incredibly rude of them. Sorry new girl.” One of the other girls approached, extending her hand towards me. She was tall. Very tall. Swimmer’s build. Slight tan. Hair kept in a ponytail. “Clara Everest. And I’m guessing the name everyone’s using for you isn’t the real one.” I shook Clara’s hand and shook my head at her question. 

“It’s not. I’m Daisy.” Clara smiled and patted my shoulder. 

“No need to be nervous Daisy, I’m sure you’ve got it.” 

“Thanks.” The other three approached us now. 

“I’m Aleah. The others are Blake and Ellie.” Aleah gestured to each of them in turn, and I nodded. 

“Please use they them pronouns for me.” Blake asked, and I raised an eyebrow at them. “I’m only mostly a girl.” 

“Oh. What’s the rest then?” I didn’t want to be offensive to Blake, of course, so knowing would be good. 

“You ever ridden a roller coaster? Well it’s the feeling you get when you finish going up a slope to prepare for a drop, and you’re sitting up there, looking over the edge and anticipating the drop, but the ride breaks and you don’t know it’s broken and you sit there for half an hour in suspense? That. Mostly a girl, plus that.” That was a very specific description. “Well I think it’s time we transform.” The others took out different objects out of their pockets. Clara a pencil. Aleah a twenty-sided die. Blake a compact. Ellie a knife. I looked at my magical girl stick and felt a bit awkward. 

“Potato Bun gave you a Sailor Moon Stick?” I blushed a bit at Ellie’s question, who shook her head. “Well from what I heard from Pork, she was the one who got really into Anime.” They all said the key phrase and started transforming, while I turned towards Potato Bun, who hit her forehead in realisation. 

“Powers that be, armor me!” She yelled towards me and I nodded. 

“Powers that be, armor me.” The jeans and t-shirt turned to light as my magical girl outfit replaced them. And then I looked towards the rest of the group. 

Clara looked like an amazon. A spear by her side, a rainbow cape on her shoulders, her chestplate shifting colors like bismuth in different light. 

Aleah looked like a witch. A traditional hat, a short dress, a crystal ball floating by her side. Her outfit being purple, blue and magenta. 

Blake’s outfit made me think of bouncers at lesbian bars. Emily mentioned a couple that show up to the meet ups. Blake’s colors were orange and pink, with hints of white here and there, a labrys by their side. 

And Ellie? Ellie made me think of Huntress Wizard from Adventure Time. If her color scheme was goth. Black, grey, white and purple, throughout her outfit. When they looked at me, Aleah yelled in excitement. 

“PAY UP ELLIE I SAID TRANS FLAG! AND WHAT IS THAT IF NOT PINK BLUE AND WHITE?!” Aleah slapped her knee and Ellie groaned. 

“I don’t have my wallet in this getup, you bi disaster. Come on, breach time.” Was Ellie’s reply, as she walked to the edge of the bubble. 

“So this was formed from transphobes starting shit? No wonder it looks like something out of The Thing. Carpenter would be stunned at the VFX.” Blake raised their axe and cut the side of it, making us a way in. “Ladies first.” They pointed inside with their axe in a showy gesture, as Clara walked in. 

“My aren’t you such a Gentlethem.” She rolled her eyes at Blake and the rest of us followed her. 

 

The inside still looked like school. School with a red tint to it and a bunch of red flakes floating around, but school never the less. I could hear a heartbeat. In the direction the flakes were flying towards. I with my more traditional magical girl outfit kind of stood out like a sore thumb amongst the modern day D&D party look the rest of the group had going on... Well, there is the Idol class in Bravely Default. As we walked by a classroom I could hear sobbing. Ellie opened the door to it and looked in, a group of scared girls with their makeup ruined from crying and their clothes dirty from running sat huddled together in a corner, clearly terrified of what was happening outside. Then they looked at me. 

“You! This is all your fault! If you perverted bastard didn’t want to spy on girls in the bathrooms we wouldn’t be in this mess!” I held my stick close to my chest, gulping, as Clara approached the group crouching in front of them. “I’m a lesbian. So is Blake. Aleah is Bi. In your fucked up worldview the three of us are more predatory than Daisy’s anxious ass. So you either shut up and learn to respect folks identities.” She dropped her spear on the ground. “Or you pick up my pointy stick and go clean up the mess your transphobia caused yourself.” The girls looked between all of us. Looking disgusted. Clara rolled her eyes and picked her spear off the ground. “Of course the queer girls have to save the cishet’s asses from the bullshit they started themselves. Be glad none of y’all are gender nonconforming or I’d be predicting a black eye from a concerned guy.” She grabbed my shoulder and pulled me away from the classroom, as Aleah stood there for a second longer, looking into her crystal ball. 

“Oh, oof, ouch, Stephanie, I suggest you don’t date Steve Alabaster if you want to end up in a happy marriage, that boy will make you lose your first born by beating you up in five months.” She turned and followed the rest of us, as I looked at her surprised. “Limited fortune telling. Mainly to see misfortune of my enemies. Really helps planning for the rule of cool.” I nodded. Cool. 

And then we reached the auditorium. The source of the heartbeat. We couldn’t see a giant heart anywhere, but the flakes were falling on the ground here. “Oh come on The Telltale Heart? Really?” Blake groaned and began hacking at the floor. But the second she did, the ceiling tore away, as we saw our quarry descend. 

Covered in patches of blond and brown hair, the rest of it bald, a circle of eyes around each patch of hair. Two pairs of leathery wings keeping it’s body upright and standing, as it’s legs were but extremely long, pointy sharp stumps. A gaping jaw of sharp teeth in between said legs. The eyes turned towards us, and the jaw turned into a smile. “Oh, so you’ve come, and you’ve brought me the freak as well. Good good, come here little boy, I’ll bite that dick of yours off so you have an easier time pretending to be a girl.” The Nightmare cackled. 

The other girls didn’t even have time to prepare their weapons. My face became an expressionless mask once more, my eyes glazing over. I was going to start with the sickle this time. My stick transformed as I threw it at the creature’s legs, severing them below the knee, the sickle returning to my hand as if on a chain. As the creature tried to fly away, I jumped through one of its wings. The skin tore as I burst through it, the Nightmare roaring. And then, on my way down, I landed on it’s back, right between it’s four wings. Its eyes were looking at me, a mixture of anger and fear, as I severed the wings swiftly, without remorse. I rode its body as it crashed to the ground, and once it was down, I approached its nasty mouth. My sickle shifted to its morningstar form, and I smashed its teeth in. And soon after, the Nightmare melted into a goop, that then turned into a gas and flew away, as its realm broke, leaving behind no evidence of its existence except our shared experience. 

As I turned to the party, they all stood there in awe, shocked at my display of skill. And my emotions returned as I groaned. “Uuuuugggghhhh, I still have to deal with those bitchy girls even after saving their lives like this? Powers that be unencumber me.” My stick shifted to it’s default form, and my outfit returned to the jeans and t-shirt one I had put on that morning. The girls were still staring at me. “...What?” 

“You just took down a high level torturer type Nightmare-” Said Clara.

“With a Realm the size of an entire high school building and it’s accompanying facilities-” Added Blake

“In under twenty seconds-” Continued Ellie. 

“Without a scratch on your body, or even breaking a sweat.” Finished Aleah. 

“What the fuck, Girl?” All four of them said at the same time. 

“Is it really that impressive?” I had to ask. Scratching my shoulder in surprise. 

“It would take us ten minutes of frantic running around and figuring out its weakness to even begin hurting it. It was capable of flight and had eyes EVERYWHERE. LITERALLY EVERYWHERE ON ITS BODY.” Clara admitted, throwing her hands in the air to nail her point home. 

“Powers that be, shield my heart.” The four girls said in unison, transforming back. “You think school is gonna be out for the rest of the day?” Blake asked. 

“Probably, they need to figure out a cover story for the thing. Even though a certain SOMEONE has her ass transforming on Twitter.” Aleah replied. “Still. We deserve a treat. I say we go to the mall and just pork out on something.” 

“My mom can take us. I… need to go bra shopping anyway.” I started walking towards the exit. 

“Daisy you’ve been running commando this whole time? Shit. And yet somehow you’re not flashing headlights.” Ellie spoke up, and I blushed a bit, speeding up my walk. 

I hoped mom would like my - is coworkers a good word? It’ll do - coworkers. Hopefully soon enough friends. 

Epilogue

 

I stepped out of the old warehouse, turning off my outfit, and walked towards mom’s car. She sighed and shook her head as usual. “If the other girls didn’t assure me you had some sort of battle meditation trance thing I wouldn’t be here right now you know.” 

“Yeah. I know.” I was wearing a long skirt and a comfortable sweater, enjoying the late autumn air. “Thanks, mom.” 

“Of course, Daisy. Now come on, don’t want to leave your girlfriend waiting.” Mom patted the top of the car and sat down in the driver’s seat, as I joined her in the front. 

“M-MOM!!! Emily’s not my girlfriend!” I blushed, getting flustered very fast. 

“Honey she kissed you when she was over for movie night. She constantly holds hands with you. She calls you pet names. She’s bonded to you at the hip.” Mom shot back. 

“T-that’s just to help with my anxiety! All that stuff calms me down and reassures me.” 

“It calms you down and reassures you because you’re girlfriends. Come on, ask her.” I sighed and took out my phone to message Emily. 

 

BattleIdolBunny:

Hey Emily, are we…

Girlfriends? 

MiraclePunch5000:

OH MY GOD I THOUGHT YOU’D NEVER NOTICE!!! 

I figured I’d have to have you for dinner before it clicked in your anxiety riddled brain that we’re dating!!!

BattleIdolBunny:

Okay in my defense though I have been fighting horrors and I never had a girl crush on me or want to date me so this is very, very new to me. 

MiraclePunch5000:

Well DUH! That’s why I’m here to help you out with it. I love you, Daisy.

BattleIdolBunny:

I love you, Emily. 

Thanks for reading, if you'd enjoyed this and would like to support me into writing more, you can do so via my patreon https://www.patreon.com/SynTheGuardian

And if you'd like to chat, you can join the discord server https://discord.gg/VDVMVrc

61