12. You deserve the truth
17k 44 396
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Dear, you're messing with me. Please do not say such uncouth jokes, or I might just take them seriously."

Colt looked at Mina's eyes. Her smile was filled with joy, but at the same time, not. Colt could feel it, the atmosphere around her had changed, and as she stepped forward, Colt felt a squeeze on his heart.

But still, he stayed seated on the edge of the bed. Soon, Mina was right in front of him. She leaned on him, her face inches away.

Her eyes were devoid of anything other than a monotonous light, "That was a joke, right, Dear?"

A lump was in his throat from forming fear and anxiousness. He was unable to speak, unable to clarify it. As he stared into her eyes, the abyss zoomed into him, staring back.

He was being choked, but then he remembered a promise. A simple promise he made with the original. It was a promise to appease the heart of a pleading man who's too tired of lying about his child's existence.

Colt's mind was clear, and his fear was gradually lifting. A life of layered lies was the Original's life—all of it to protect his daughter.

The Original Colt loved his daughter so much that lying about her was painful.

Even his final wishes were for his daughter to know the truth.

He just wished to tell her how much he loves her and regrets lying to her.

Colt, no, Leo was only human. He, too, could sympathize with the Original's regrets.

"...It's true." he answered, summoning every morsel of courage he could.

Bam!

Colt was pushed onto the bed.

On top of him was Mina, whose smile had disappeared. She looked at him, and he looked at her.

"Why are you telling me this? You could have lied to me. Did you lie about your memories? Why would you do that? Do you want me to wallow in sadness and despair? Why did you do it? Are you playing with me, young master Colt?" Mina asked, her voice mixed with sadness more than anything else. She just wanted to ask.

"It's because you deserved to know the truth. Lying to you about such a thing would be too cruel; I did not lie about my memories. Only now have I filled the gaps in my memories and only learned of this today, I know it would hurt you, I know that you will hate me, but I did not want to lie... not to you."

Colt felt his heart tremble.

But, he was not afraid.

He felt guilty.

If anything, he didn't want to tell her. He did not fear for his life; Colt just didn't want to hurt Mina. But, it had to be done.

He was a man who experienced the heartbreak of being lied to. Mina's seething anger was understandable. The man you loved and adored had a child you did not know; it was one of the worst feelings in this world.

Being betrayed was something Colt did not want to happen to others. Colt had experienced such pain before, and he did not wish to lie to Mina and wanted her to know as early as possible.

Yes, Colt contemplated whether he would live or die if he spoke of the truth, but he knew he had to tell her.

'This is the right choice.' That was what he thought, ready to accept his fate.

He spread his arms, looked at his eyes of Mina, and said one last thing.

"I had hurt you, I know; if I had known sooner, I would have informed you right then and there when we met, but I didn't... it was my fault. Even if you hate me now... I will not be able to blame you."

He then closed his eyes, ready to receive her emotions-her hate.

Leo expected Mina to lash out, she'd be in the right to do such a thing, but she didn't. Instead, a tear trickled down Colt's face.

He opened his eyes and saw Mina's reddened eyes as her tears fell. She buried her head in his chest.

"You're unfair! What can I do to you? I can't hurt the man I love."

Leo could feel it. His fear was no longer present; he felt a weight lifted, yet he was still anxious.

Now, he was sure that wouldn't hurt him... yet... he panicked seeing him cry. At first, he was confused, but, in the end, he finally understood why, 'So that's how it is.'

Since he arrived in this world, he had treated Mina as someone close to a monster; no, he treated her as a monster wearing human skin.

But at that moment, the emotion that had surfaced after his little time with her was enough to confirm what it was.

'This emotion is not a compromise to keep my life; it is deeper than I felt before. To love a woman who wishes to devote herself to you, being truthful, this is refreshing.'

He did not know what Mina was thinking, nor did he know what she thought of all this, but as she lifted her head from his chest, Leo moved his shaking hand to stroke Mina's hair.

This time, he needed not fear what would happen. To feel a prick seeing her so sad… to feel happy when she was honest and truthful.., Colt was glad to finally realize himself outside of fear and logic.

"Mina...I love you."

It was a whisper, but Mina heard it loud and clear, and she responded sincerely.

"I love you too."

He then pulled her for a deep and loving kiss.

396