66. Unsheathing the Sword
8.5k 29 235
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Death, a topic one would face one way or the other. It is taken heavily by others and it is grieved. The topic of death and killing coincides and if any of them are mentioned in a conversation, it is not something to laugh about.

Everyone fears death, no one wishes to say goodbye and on the back of the mind one fears the idea of taking someone’s life.

Soldiers who go to war are delighted when they get their first kill in the heat of battle. However, once the high disappears, they fall to despair. As the truth sunk in and they saw the blood on their hands, they recall the moment they saw the light in the eyes of their enemies disappear.

The haunting voices of the dead echoes and the guilt slowly crushes them.

This is the case for soldiers trained to take the life of others in the name of peace. However, what of the normal people?

Those who lived in a world where the only war they can participate in is surfacing the world behind the internet and using the weapon known as the keyboard.

These keyboard gangsters and soldiers think they are strong, thinking they can kill if they see the one who told them they are stupid and hurt their feelings.

They read stories that empower their belief of death, gaining superficial strength gaining momentary courage making them think they are strong and incapable of hesitation.

They think they can do better and slay another being and smile as they watch the blood of the life that they took flow to the ground and create a pool.

But the truth is that if they are given the chance to take a life you will tremble. As you hold a knife in front of you and point it towards another being, you tremble as you fear for the consequences.

On the back of your head, you are fearful make others suffer. To take the life that others have.

However, this does not mean it is impossible to take a life. It is hard to take a life but it is not by all means impossible. One may hesitate to slit other’s throat but when a push appears behind you, the knife will travel on the neck of your target.

Blood will flow and like a soldier, you will feel the power of manipulating the life of others. Or so that’s how murderers are created.

But, when those who truly value life got a hold of a knife and got a push on the back, their reaction would be different.

Colt, no, Leo is a man of earth. The world he lived in was a peaceful land where war is far away from where death is grieved and killing is shunned upon.

However, as he stared the people trying to kill him approach Mina so they can finish her off, Leo’s heart began to beat wildly.

As if thousands of beasts stampeded over a plain Leo could feel his heartbreak. Like many other humans of earth, Leo values life more so than he is willing to admit.

But as he stared at the ones garbed in black approach Mina, his moral compass shattered. The push had been given and he drew every power he had within.

Within himself is the hammered feeling of moving with numbed limbs,

He is no killer nor is he a hero or a villain. He is an ordinary man, tossed in a world that s filled with chaos and killing.

He wishes for a normal life, a life of normalcy, nothing more nothing less. He didn’t want to be disturbed by the people who will throw the world into chaos, thus, he helped them lead a better life.

He was a good person trying to help others by helping himself; but then, why? Why would fate fuck him for this?

As he looked at the people about to touch Mina, he came to his senses on what he must do. His words reverberated within himself. An oath had once been told, he uttered it to himself but it reverberates within his heart.

‘That’s right...I swore to protect her.’

Standing up slowly, a deep blue aura slowly appeared out of Colt’s body. Like a first-time killer, the hesitation finally vanished. The “shaking hands” stopped and the power he already had flooded his body.

The aura that already appeared but kept within as he feared to hurt others began to unravel as he slowly lifted his sword that had been sheathed for far too long.

The sheath that represented his hesitation finally left the blade of him being in this world. The sword that he tied down to the “sheath” in order to avoid taking the life of other people finally revealed himself.

As the sword was unsheathed, his very self finally saw the light of the new world. Slashing through the very morality he held dear, Leo was no longer himself, and as he drew his sword, he now truly became Colt.

He had already bored the original's emotions, now he will bore the morality of this world. As he took in a deep breath Colt’s mind saw nothing other than what is up ahead, he stared at the ones trying to take Mina’s life.

The deep blue light then drew the other light within himself. The color that represented the night, the lineage he inherited from the original, and the name that is bestowed upon the very few.

The color of the night exploded as a dark aura enveloped his very presence.

His muscles that had turned numbed due to poison reawakened; and as pain emerged from every corner of his ligaments, blood spurted out of his orifices.

He stood up, and his anger rose, his desire to protect the woman who loves and cherished him exploded into a piercing gaze that evolved into savagery.

A cat watching from above the tree, the master it picked had finally revealed himself. And as it stared at him, the white cat noticed another person hiding amidst the shadows.

The cat looked down upon this person as it thought to itself, ‘You shalt not take over his mind for he is the one I have chosen to serve. I may have not finished creating the beast that shall follow his trail, but I have already granted him my “Mark”, your vile means will not pierce his mind.’

For the first time, the white cat felt the connection bridge by the aura. Released aura.

‘That day, when I gave you this mark, means that you already have the aura.’

Colt runs ahead, and as his presence was obscured from the world by the black aura rising from his body, the silver line he received from the dream finally glowed.

As the black and blue aura appeared, the pride that had been kept Fluff from protecting him properly had been lowered and as the connection finally be made, the illusion trying to pierce his mind got repelled.

And with a partner protecting his back, Colt continued on his way, and with a presence obscured from this world hid his presence from the injured enemies, he drew close upon them brandished his sword!

Slash!

As he took another person’s life, Colt trembled. But as he saw Mina’s state, he gripped the sword and kept his emotions in check.

And as the words stuck to his throat finally revealed themselves, Colt shouted to reflect his determination!

“GET AWAY FROM MY WOMAN!”

Just to be clear if others didn't quite get it, the "Sword" is Colt and the "Sheath" is his hesitation to hurt others.

Also, I don't know if I successfully foreshadowed the use of the "Mark" he got from Fluff, but I just wished you guys remember the earlier chapters of him scratching his "itchy" forehead.

235