79. Smile
7.4k 24 210
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hylda had her head hanging low. She could barely lift her legs, and she had little to no energy to even move properly. Hylda’s destination was Sister Mary’s office. She at least wanted to be there when Colt receives Filla’s documents.

Pat! Pat!

Slapping both cheeks with relative force, Hylda regained her energy and bounce. She pumped her fist and smiled, “No, use mulling over what’s about to come. I had already taken a detour and got my emotions under control, so I should be okay. Look forward! Look forward! There is no direction other than forward! Let’s do this! Yahoo!”

Hylda regained herself with a few cheers. Sadness and envy will only bring her down. She needs to be strong so that others won’t be affected by her atmosphere.

She was saddened but has now recovered. It was then that she heard someone calling her name aloud.

“Big Sisssss!”

Filla was running towards her direction. Filla had a big smile while waving her hand. Hylda saw this and secretly heaved a sigh of relief that she managed to regain herself.

“Oh, Filla, your smile seemed to rather bright today are you happy that you’re going to the Edgeworth manor with Big Bro Sparkly? I mean, Colt, hehe.”

Filla’s brows raised as she let out a hearty laugh, “That too, but I’m also excited that we’ll be able to see and eat a lot of things. We’ll also be able to eat good things there!”

‘We?’ Hylda stared at Filla’s bright smile and could get to tell her the truth. In the end, she could only smile in return, “Yes, we’ll do that.”

Filla threw her hands upwards as her laugher echoed about.

‘I’m not technically lying. I can still visit her frequently …but, with her being the child of a noble family, she’ll drift farther away. It’s sad, but that’s just how the world works.’

Filla reached her hand forward, and Hylda took her hand. This is the last time they are going to be socially accepted as sisters. Hylda’s smile must not waver now.

They reached the doors to Sister Mary’s office, and as Hylda touched the door to open it, she and Filla heard a voice from inside.

“Hylda, always hold a smile on her face, laughing as she looked ahead of what’s to come. She tries to find the beauty in everything to keep her mind positive and always does her best…are you sure you want to take her with you?”

‘Are they talking about me? Wait, take me with him? Does that mean big bro wants to bring me away? He’s’s pitying me. It appears that I need to stop big bro from doing something stupid again.’

Hylda thought as such. She wanted to burst inside and announce what it is that she wants. But then, her hands stopped.

“She is a girl who would raise her head against tribulation. She’s very energetic and does things her way. Well, I can’t tell you much. After all, I brought Hylda to the Orphanage a mere month after you took Filla here.

“I am thankful you’re willing to give Hylda a family, but if you’re merely doing this for the sake of feeling bad for her; If you are doing this out of mere pity then you can go and shove it up your ass because I’ll go and beat you up here and now.”

Sister Mary’s voice was booming. It could be heard clearly from the outside. Hylda didn’t want to hear Colt’s answer. She was in a state of fear…her smile had once again waned.

‘N-no, don’t answer that. Please, don’t.’ Right then and there, Hylda decided to put a stop to the conversation. She didn’t want to hear it. She didn’t want the possibility of being rejected. She no longer wants to listen to those words of rejection again.

The words, ‘Useless! Disappear! Bastard! Worthless! Eyesore! Waste!’ still remained fresh in her mind despite it all happening all those years ago. Her smile was starting to disappear; the smile she uses to protect herself was trembling from both fear and sadness.

A single streak of tear finally escaped from her eyes.

She took a step forward and was about to push the door open when a hand stopped her. Hylda wanted to shout, but another hand covered her mouth. She looked behind and saw Mina smiling at her with melancholy found in her eyes.

Mina exchanged eyes with her and whispered to her, “Don’t stop them and listen…I have fought with my beloved husband before for this to gain my approval. Don’t waste his efforts.”

Hylda struggled, but she couldn’t fight against Mina’s strength. Filla wanted to help her big sis from the Pink Witch when she saw Mina’s eyes filled with consideration, telling her to stop.

Inside the office, Colt looked at Sister Mary and smiled as he spoke.

“The Nuns of the Dracian Fate are really scary. Don’t worry. I know what you mean. To be taken in through pity alone is a frightening thing, You will feel like you don’t belong by their side, and you will eventually go in a downward spiral.

“The result of such a thing happening will only be the downfall of both parties. The pain, the hardship, everything is something I already know. Don’t worry, Sister Mary. I won’t let Hylda undergo such a painful experience. Besides, she had been with me since she was seven years old. She had been with Filla and I to me she feels like a genuine daughter and I know that Filla also sees her as a genuine older sister. I don’t think leaving this place without her with me is right. I don’t leave my family behind, after all.”

Colt sounded soft and caring as if he was talking about the most precious jewel in the world. From outside, Hylda’s tears were flowing.

She cannot say anything, but she heard Mina’s words.

“Before we even left for the capital months ago, he already asked me about this…the words he said then is the same as now. You may not have his blood, but he had already seen you as his family since long ago.”

Inside the office, Sister Mary looked at Colt and chuckled. She placed her hand on the table in a relaxed manner.

“It appears that you are sure about this, well, in the end, I don’t want to give the answer for them. Only dipshits and idiots force their ideals on others. In the end, the one who needs to decide is her...so, what do you say, little Hylda? Do you want to go with this loser!?”

Hylda was released from Mina’s embrace. Filla held her hand, and then she pushed the door open. As her tears flowed and she sniffled, Hylda had to ask.

“I-is that true? A-am I needed? Am I your family? Am I not unwanted?”

Hylda had her head facing down. She cried and cried, waiting for Colt’s answer.

Colt walked over to her and then kneeled. He opened his arms and embrace her and Filla and then whispered…

“You had always been my family …you’re necessary for me and your little sister’s life. You are important to us.”

Hylda’s hands grabbed Colt’s back. She tightly grabbed onto it and then cried while saying, “Thank you.”

Hylda had been smiling since she was young. Hailing from a poor family with abusive parents, she cannot complain or show a frown or else she would get beaten up.

She must smile and please everyone, but even that caused her to be mistreated, telling her smile to be unwanted.

But she felt that their fists were lighter when she smiles, so she kept on smiling even when they kept on beating her bruised body.

Even when she was abandoned, she continued to smile. When she is sad, she smiles, when she is hungry, she smiles, and when she is in pain, she smiles. She never cries.

But at this moment, she no longer smiled.

She wailed and wailed, like a child should, it was as if she was letting out the trapped emotions in her heart.

The girl who always smiled now cried and wailed.

Hylda cried as she found herself a family where she doesn't have to force herself to smile.

210