80. Watched over by the Divine
7.5k 21 217
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the 28th day of July, there was a lot of crying involved. Colt waited for Hylda to stop, and after some much-needed counseling, everything became calm.

“Are you okay now?”

Hylda nodded her head. After calming down, she found crying like that to be rather embarrassing. She lowered her head to avoid his gaze.

Colt ignored this as the gap between the usual Hylda to be rather adorable. From outside the room, Mina walked in and looked at Colt. She had a mix of pleasant and unpleasantness mixed in her smile.

“I’ll help the kids go pack their things, okay, darling?”

Colt could only respond with a weak nod. Holding both her daughters’ hands, Mina stepped out of the room. Despite not having given birth, Mina had already become a mother…she was mysteriously pleased by this.

Hylda and Filla were brought out of the room, leaving Sister Mary and Colt inside. Colt sighed and looked at Sister Mary, who was laughing at him.

“I heard they called you the Hidden Dragon of the Edgeworth. It seems like the Dragon is but a worm in front of his wife! Hahahahaha!”

“Shut it, I…let's just moves on.”

“HAHAHA! You’re not even trying to deny it!? Just how much does she have you under her thumb? That’s freaking hilarious!”

“Are you a person of fate or not!? You shouldn’t laugh at people’s pain.”

With those words, Sister Mary suddenly stopped laughing and then spoke with a grim expression, “Don’t question my fate, boy. I am a follower of the Dracian Fate, I follow the Goddesses’ will, and nowhere is it recorded not to laugh at a henpecked husband! HAHAHAHA!”

Her laughter regained momentum, and Colt felt his face burning from embarrassment. Throughout the whole process of the adoption, to receiving the papers and the blessing, Sister Mary was either laughing or trying her best to stifle her laughter.

It took a while because of her fooling around. In the end, as Colt received the papers, Sister Mary ripped the folders where it used to belong and placed the documents inside an envelope.

“With this, their past becomes a chapter, and a new chapter opens for them. Hey, make sure they don’t return here…wait that doesn’t feel right. They can always come back to visit, so that’s wrong. Let me rephrase that. Make sure you don’t send them packing and…wait, that doesn’t sound right either…”

“I get it already. I’ll take care of them, don’t worry.”

“I’m counting on you then…Young Master Henpecked Worm.”

“Will you stop that?”

“Nope!”

Finally, the process ended. The two sisters were caught by surprise by the sudden announcement of, “I actually have two daughters.” That Colt made.

Risa was surprised but was accepting. Lyra was accepting of the matter, but she was torn about something.

She looked at Hylda then back at Colt, asking, “Um, she’s older than me, so is she my aunty, or am I the aunty?”

“…” Colt was silent as he found himself unable to answer. He chuckled as he gave her his answer, “Just follow what your heart tells you.”

The farewells were also filled with tears. It was not just Hylda and Filla who lives in the Orphanage. Other unfortunate children wishing for a family stays there.

Colt watched them cry and try to keep their smiles on their faces. It was heart-wrenching, and somewhere within, he wanted to take them with him like Hylda and Filla.

But he also knew he couldn’t. Raising a child is not so easy. Providing emotional support is harder than it seems.

‘I’m still a child in the eyes of many. I am, but 19 years of age, if I take on such responsibility and fail to show up the things they need, the ending will only be pain and hardship for both sides.’

The children left behind will miss them, but that doesn’t mean they won’t see each other again. If this is a novel, then he wouldn’t be able to do anything; he can simply wish the author to do something about his concerns.

But this is not just a novel anymore. This is the real world. Colt can interact and change the outcome of the future. He had already changed the future of so many, guiding these children to a better future is something he will also do in the future.

‘But for now, I need to increase my strength first and then get on with it. In three years or possibly shorter, war will come. The East will raid us. The Continent will be destroyed, and many will die. I need to become stronger for myself and my family. Preparation for war is something I must do right now.’

They say people give others the power they need to change themselves. One man cannot rely on oneself. Once he sees the vastness of the world and finds the thing he wishes to protect, he’ll reach out to become stronger.

He’ll reach out so that he’ll have more power.

Colt and the rest left the Light Orphanage. But before leaving, he bowed to Sister Mary and then went with the rest. Sister Mary watched them board the carriage and their final goodbyes. She stared at the carriage where Colt and the other two boarded and then grinned.

‘Seems like the Goddesses is watching over him. He reeks of Divine Energy…that ought to attract a lot of bad luck to himself.’

Sometimes, receiving the attention of the Divine is not so good. If the Divines wished for entertainment, then trouble will be finding itself to that person to entertain the people above.

The Divine will not wish for it to happen, and Sister Mary doubt they want it to happen.

‘It is said that the Divine only pays attention to Mortal when they are either an Apostle or a problem that might endanger the world. Hmmm, I wonder what’s your position, Young Master Colt? Are you going to bring salvation or destruction? Welp, either way that doesn’t matter. I am more of a Goddess Root follower. Our doctrine says, “Mind your own business”, I don’t want to get involved.’

Sister Mary just hoped Colt lives to see the coming years. For his children’s sake, not his.

“Children, let’s have Morian Stew tonight.”

===

Coming home to the Edgeworth Manor, Count Shickly and Countess Faerith greeted Colt and the rest.

Soon after stepping out of the car, the two children froze at the sight of the tall Count Shickly whose height was two meters.

Count Shickly had apparent confusion in his eyes. He looked at Colt seeking after an answer. Colt stepped forward and looked at his parents and then showed them a sweet smile, saying, “These are my daughter, the one little one with the golden hair is Filla, and the one with the Fiery hair is Hylda. They are both my daughters.”

Count Shickly didn’t know what to say. He was speechless and tongue-tied, signaling his savior to come and swoop him up his feet, Countess could only shake her head at this big oaf of a husband she has.

“So, you’re the ones joining our family? I welcome you both to the Edgeworth Family. Though we were not expecting that our dear child already has two children at such an age, hohoho….”

The Countess was laughing, but then, it was suddenly cut short as they heard someone speak.

“He has three children… I’m pregnant, Mother-in-law.”

Silence prevailed, and Count Shickly fainted. 

217