82. Peaceful Days
7.8k 16 194
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Under the guidance of the moon, the people of the capital city of the Edgeworth Fief is under a festive mood. The streets were brightly lit, and the pubs offered free drinks and food.

In the shadows, people are patrolling, and the guards who are on duty cursed the others who weren’t. Tonight, was a festive night for it was July 31st, the birthday of the second oldest child of the infamous Young Master Colt was held today.

The announcement was made the day prior. The entire Kingdom was shocked, and the King regretted the fact that he had some urgent matters to care for so he couldn’t come.

The nobles were the ones who had been shocked for a rumour quickly spread.

The story about how the wastrel of Wing City was nothing but an act to hide his daughters’ presence. It was said that the Young Master and a commoner fell in love with each other. In their union, a child was created.

But because the child was from a commoner, the Young Master decided to keep it a secret from everyone, including his family.

So, he decided to become a wastrel to hide this fact.

He disregarded his image so that no one will pay attention to his actions so that he’ll be able to rear his daughters in secret.

He gave up everything, even his position of the successor just to create the perfect camouflage. Only when he saw it fit to show his daughters’ presence to the world that he saw it fit for him to show the head of the sleeping tiger.

Like a carp going through the dragon gate and then the Fluff Reaper who takes a life once the sword leaves the scabbard, once the wastrel found his name to be sufficiently known, he returned home and announced his daughters’ existence.

The story spread far and wide. Some people saw Colt as human trash, and some admired him. Many nobles used this instance to attack the Edgeworths for being unbecoming only to fail spectacularly.

For the commoners’ side, Colt became a figure of respect. He reared the child who was also of common blood. He even adopted someone from the common populace.

Though many cannot remember who Filla was for she rarely leaves the Orphanage; Hylda was a different matter.

A young girl who sells flower by the wayside. That’s who she was. Her past was unclear, but the family accepted her with no problems.

The common folks’ view of the Edgeworth Family has increased. The stigmata that Colt carries on his name somewhat disappeared with this event.

Colt became a figure to be respected. Women of both common and noble birth who came to learn of his story started seeing him in a better light, thinking, “For a man to have such kindness and dedication…and masculinity …he’s perfect.”

Such thoughts were not accurate, but one should be able to get the point. In short, women began thirsting for him.

Which was a pretty lousy situation considering how he is currently walking down the streets. Many are staring at him, the ladies, in particular, are eyeing him, thinking if they should take their chances.

However, as Colt was walking with Mina, it was inevitable that none approached him. With Mina by his side giving silent death glares at every girl who so much as show a hint of interest to Colt, no one would even approach him.

At the moment, it was only the two of them going around the city. His children were going about frolicking near the Orphanage together with Lyra.

Colt wanted to go too, but he was stopped by Hylda and Filla saying he should also relax from time to time. They had seen their father train day in and day out trying to become stronger.

Instead of him, it was Shickly who was placed on watching the children. Countess Faerith wanted the Count to spend some time with his granddaughters.

According to the Countess, the tension around the grandfather and granddaughters must be lessened.

“Dear Husband, I don’t care if you are a Count or have a meeting with Neun. The mental health of the children is our priority. You look intimidating, so it’s best if you spend some time with them.”

Since one could remember, the women of the Edgeworth Family had always been strong and tough. This criterion is not a written rule; it was just the type of women every Edgeworth men across multiple generations prefers.

So, with that being said, Count Shickly was left babysitting the children. And because the Count himself went out with the children to the Orphanage, it became some sort of publicity that further increased public opinion.

‘Good luck with that, Father.’ Colt could only wish him luck. Looking around the city as he walked, there were indeed many women eyeing him and this made Colt somewhat conflicted.

If it were any other man, then he would be revelling with such attention foocused onto him.

But no! Colt is a man who values both his pride as a father and a lover. He also values his life.

‘If Mina learns of any case of infidelity, the best-case scenario would be ending up in a cage, chained and fed like a dog for cheating…that’s quite intense…but still fair. Hmmm, is my perception of fairness getting screwed?’

The night came and went, Colt returned to the manor at around 8 pm, which coincidentally the time when the Count and the children returned.

The two groups met at the front door of the manor and as soon as Filla got out of the carriage and ran towards Colt and gave him a big hug. Hylda did what she always did and acted all mature with a smug look on her face.

Filla had a big smile on her face. And then, Colt’s pupils shrunk as he saw Count Shickly coming out of the carriage with Lyra on his hands and his hair tied with twin-tails.

‘Oh.’ Colt was shocked.

Count Shickly saw Colt. The Father and Son locked eyes.

Colt had no idea what’s going on, and he had no interest in learning. Whatever happened in the Orphanage would stay in the Orphanage…at least until the Countess makes one of the three children spit out what happened.

They had a family dinner to celebrate Filla’s birthday themselves. All in all, the night was very peaceful and the coming nights as well.

With Filla’s birthday coming and going, time quickly passed.

Soon, it was already a week after Filla’s birthday. But despite that being the case, the manor was still as lively as always.

Many nobles sent their congratulations to the family this past week alone, and Colt reached Rank-2 Warrior and is already showing signs of improvement.

He is not slowing down at all. The Countess is busy handling documents, and the Count is busily playing with the children day after day. He’s volunteered to be on babysitting mode.

The Count transformed into a doting Grandpa to Filla and Hylda, and he is now spoiling Lyra more than ever. It was getting out of hand.

The baby was getting more apparent now, and the Marquis who received the news was hurrying back to the Edgeworth Fief to have a thorough talk with his son-in-law.

All in all, Colt is not showing signs of slowing down. He is as busy as ever.

And a week after that, on the night before the arrival of the Marquis arrived. Colt swung his sword multiple times, trying to clear his head as he prepared lines to make sure he doesn’t get slaughtered in tomorrow’s meeting.

According to the Count, the Marquis is fuming. He is not mad because of Colt’s children, but because of Colt’s lies and the fact that Mina got pregnant so early in her life.

The Vera family doesn’t care about conventions, but they value the truth. With Colt having a family of his own completely hidden, the Marquis fears that his daughter had been deceived and is ready to liberate her from Colt’s grasps.

‘In short, the father is worried about her daughter.’

Colt can only sigh because he knew that the Marquis has every right to be angry about the current situation.

‘Well, I could have confessed when I regained my memories, but I didn’t so I don’t have any alibis to give. I just need to make sure I stay alive.’

Colt has his priorities straight at least.

However, while he was trying to clear his mind, a bright white light exploded from the side.

“NYAAAA!”

“What is it. Fluff!?”

Colt turned his head and saw Fluff writhing in pain. Only after a minute or so did the little fellow stop its pained cried.

“Hey, what’s the problem!? You never did that before.”

With one eye closed, Fluff struggled to get up.

“Nyala, Meow! Mew!” (One of my Siblings got revived! Fuck, I hate those guys.)

With a low voice, Fluff spoke.

 

194