83. Father-in-Law
7.5k 18 185
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Immortals, Vampires, Deities, and The Protagonist, all of them were close to invincible that killing them was close to impossible. They were so hard to kill; they could even survive a nuke in a way no one would expect, except for Immortals, everyone knows how they’ll survive — they’re Immortals.

However, according to the many legends Colt had gathered, even they could be slain. In this world, the so-called Immortal Slaying weapons could be found. Even The Protagonist could be killed if the Goddess wants him to…or, so Colt thinks.

Nothing was impossible to kill. Every life will end after some time. Colt knows this all, but there was one opponent he does not know how to beat.

That person was his Father-in-Law. Colt awoke rather late today of all days when he should have been up early to greet the Marquis. However, when he got up, he heard a commotion somewhere in the manor and decided to check what was happening.

Little did he know he would be shocked to see what he would witness.

Outside the back garden of the manor, there’s a big tree that provided shade. That’s where Colt and Mina liked to spend their time and rest while watching over the three kids frolic about.

Today was the supposed day of reckoning. Colt couldn’t develop a plan to reason with the Marquis and be ready to face everything he will throw at him.

But something weird was going on that Colt couldn’t comprehend. Now was the time when the Marquis should be beating the shit out of him for lying. But at the moment, the Final Boss to the road of acceptance was playing with the three children together with the Count.

“Are you also our Grampapy?” Hylda asked with a big smile on her face.

The Marquis saw that unfazed and honest smile of hers and replied with a big smile himself, “That I am. Also, um, can you and the little one call me that one more time?”

The Marquis requested at Hylda while pointing at little Filla.

Filla already heard Marquis Liron’s words, and together with Hylda and Lyra, who decided to join in, she called out, “Grampapy!”

“Hehehehe.” The Marquis let out a creepy laugh befitting a pedophile. Liron then turned to the Count and gave him a thumbs up.

“You have done well in teaching them, my friend.” ‘

“Of course.”

That’s the words the two exchanged as they met eyes.

Though Marquis Vera had a scar going down from his right temple to his neck and a scruffy beard and paired with a bulky body, it made him look like a bear, Hylda asked without flinching. Even adults were scared of Marquis Vera, and it was a mystery how Mina’s beauty came out of from the abomination that was him.

Hylda should be terrified, but her bright smile couldn’t be fazed. She was already experienced with dealing with the surprisingly soft Count, so she was courageous. The Marquis liked that.

Colt almost couldn’t bear to watch it and got the urge to take his children away from the two. He honestly felt like they were creepy, but seeing their genuine expressions, Colt couldn’t bear to do so...instead, he felt like his daughters were closer to their grandpas than him — he secretly got jealous.

Mina mysteriously walked out from behind her beloved and saw his reaction.

“Are you surprised to see them like this?” Mina asked, shocking Colt out of his daze.

Colt couldn’t say much and could barely nod his head.

Chuckling at his childish response, Mina invited Colt to sit under the shade with her and watch them play. She said nothing, and he was the same. They enjoyed the peaceful sight of the children playing with the two warriors.

It was an odd but peaceful sight.

The Marquis and the Count continued playing with the children until 8:00 am. The children were called by the Countess to come in as their lessons were about to start.

Filla was only four and should have been exempted from the lessons, but she insisted on learning them, so she was also going inside with them. But it wasn’t just the three children who were made to enter as the Count was also dragged back to take care of the piled up paperwork.

“Liron, I’ll be going now. Make it quick and help me with something, I need to talk to you about something first.”

“Okay, just go and do your job. I have something to talk to your son.”

“Sure, just make sure not to kill him…son, Goodluck.”

Finally, everyone left, and Colt was left with Mina and the Marquis. It was not the most appropriate place to talk, but before Colt could attempt anything to change location, the Marquis already sat on the grass a meter away from him.

“Colt Edgeworth, when are you planning to hold the wedding?”

“Huh?” Colt blanked out as he tilted his head in confusion, “What was that?”

The Marquis looked at Colt with disgust as if he was looking at a retarded man, “What, you don’t even know marriage is? Wait, don’t tell me you don’t plan on marrying my daughter!? HUHHHHHH!?”

The words of the Marquis suddenly unleashed the demon lord that was Mina’s silent anger. She stared at Colt, and that alone carried enough to wait for Colt to feel threatened.

With the daughter giving him a death glare and the father polishing his fist to beat him to a pulp, Colt quickly answered, “Of course I’m going to marry her, not once have I thought otherwise.”

The daughter smiled cheerfully, and the father snorted. Colt’s life was spared.

‘Being indecisive and slow will cost me my life someday…wait, isn’t that the same as dying in the most foolish manner?’

The Marquis, who was satisfied with his answer, shrugged his shoulders, “Is that so, then decide when the marriage is. It should be held this year. I don’t care about honor and stuff, but if my daughter gets defamed because of her getting pregnant before her marriage, then I might just wage war against the nobles... I’m going to your father now.”

With his mind floating in a sea of thought, Colt heard the Marquis’ words and instantly got up from where he sat.

“Father-in-Law wait a minute!”

“Huh? What is it?”

Colt called out without thinking much about his actions. But there was something he must confirm.

“Are you not angry about me lying? And weren’t you going to punch me?”

The Marquis had to tilt his head in confusion, “Why the hell would I punch you? Have you done anything wrong!? Wait, don’t tell you cheated or something!?”

Mina’s silent stare was made a return…

Colt quickly answered, “Of course I didn’t. Also, that is not the reason why I asked. I wanted to know if you, Father-in-Law, is angered by my lies.”

Liron saw the brewing anxiousness in Colt’s eyes and then grinned, “Hehe, are you worried about your father’s words? Don’t worry about it. I made him say that. I wanted to see if you’re going to run away, and now that I confirmed your guts to stay and await my arrival and even oversleep, I can say that you pass.

“I was merely testing you, so don’t worry about it. Also, don’t think much about the matter of your daughters. Shickly and I had been wanting grandchildren since five years ago, and we’ve wished for you two to bless us with one since you two got engaged all those months ago, so they are a godsend to us.

“As for your lies, that doesn’t matter to me…if my angelic daughter complained about it, then sure I would beat the shit out of you. But you and Mina already talked about the whole matter. Mina already knew about this before a week had passed after you got engaged, correct? She could have annulled the engagement at that time, but she didn’t. That means she accepted everything about you. If you love her and she loves you, then that’s all that matters to me. Oh, but make sure not to make her cry or else-your answer!?”

“Yes, Father-in-Law.”

Colt bowed, and Liron entered the manor in search of Shickly.

“So, the marriage, when are we going to hold it?” Soon after the Marquis left, Mina quickly asked.

Colt’s body jolted and realized something very crucial to his survival. With a wry smile, he gave his answer, “Um, in November? Does that…work? Hmmm, seems not so much, huh.”

Mina’s silent smile emerged, and from that, Colt had to use his sharpened tongue to make sure his wordings won’t result in full yandere activation. His battle is just beginning.

===

The Regalus Kingdom was located South East of the Eastern Continent. They are positioned in a very dangerous position, for they were near two of the seven Forbidden zones of the Eastern Continent.

Down South, was the Magical Beast Forest which Shickly watches over, there, the majority of beings residing within are Tier-5 Savage Magical Beasts. The ocean was just beyond the Forest, but no one dare goes there, for it was also infested with Magical Beasts. That was the reason why the Wing City, the capital city of the Edgeworth Fief and closest to the Forest, didn’t import fishes despite being so close.

Eastward stood one of the three Great Families, the Genesis Family, and near them was another Forbidden area known as the Valley of Death. It is a place where the undead gathers.

At the moment, the Genesis Family was in turmoil after the mysterious deaths of the Elders. The Valley of Death was watched over by the Genesis family.

They monitor its activities, so no bizarre activities were going on. But with the valley staying at peace for a hundred years and the sudden eruption of trouble inside the Genesis Family began. The Valley of Death was left unattended as the people posted over there were called back to help their respective supporters and show their loyalty.

However, at this moment, the Valley of Death became lively as lifeless beings started walking the land.

“Nya, mew, meow.” (We’re going to the Valley of Death.)

185