104. Unexpected
5.2k 9 150
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mistress Mina, what are you doing with the Young Misses!?"

Mina could hear the loud cries of a maid. Meekly opening her eyes, she saw a maid trying to assist her to stand up.

"What are you doing, Mistress? You are a pregnant woman; how can you act in such a reckless manner? Lessa, Issa take the Young Misses to bed. Dear Goddesses, what are you doing?"

She was Helia, the 45-year-old Head Maid of the Edgeworth. She was a mature and strong woman and had a background in medicine.

She is the second-in-command when Neun is out. It's rumored that she's in a secret relationship with Neun, but that was still unconfirmed.

Helia was a strict woman, but she's as respected as the Countess. After all, Helia had been following Faerith since young, even after Faerith married into the Edgeworths, she dutifully followed without question.

After the previous Head Maid of the Edgerworths passed her prime, it was Helia who took over and managed the duties with the Countess.

"You are as reckless as the Countess. Why are the women I take care of acts like so!?" Helia was in the middle of trying to lecture Mina when she noticed an important feature. She sighed as she ordered the maids, "Go fetch hot water and a towel."

"…We already brought that with us, Head Maid."

"Goddammit, read between the lines. I mean, go and leave the room; I'll take care of everything!" Helia felt the irritation coming up from the bottom of the pit.

"Hii, yes, Head Maid."

The berated maids scuttled out of the room, leaving Mina and the two still sleeping children.

Helia went to get the warm water and towel to wipe Mina's body and face.

"Thank you, Head Maid," Mina said amidst the silence.

"It's my job, Mistress." she unfeelingly said while cleaning the tears stains on Mina's face.

'She must be missing him.' Helia need not confirm, not because it would be disrespectful but because she already knew the answer. She had already seen this when Faerith had to wait for Shickly's return from war…the stress and worry does pile up, and it breaks anyone down.

Helia examined Mina's conditions and confirmed everything was in good health. She was the one in charge of Mina's examination, just as she was of Fearith.

An hour or so later, it was already 7:00 in the morning. Helia wanted to wake up the kids, but Mina stopped her from doing so, saying, "It's fine, let them sleep a little longer today. I'll be the one to wake them up and prepare them for the day."

Helia wanted to argue but failed. She could see something very genuine behind Mina's eyes like she wanted to spend more time with her daughters like she wants to spoil and give them whatever they want.

Though it's clear that Mina had mellowed out, seeing her act like this was mind-boggling. For those who adopt a child, they say they accept a child, but there would always be a wall present.

And yet Helia failed to see that wall.

"…" She left with a pleasant smile.

Just like that, the passing days arrived.

Before anyone knew it, the last day of the month arrived.

The war southeast had yet to be concluded, heck, it's yet to start.

Only small-scale skirmishes were happening. Both sides were probing the other, trying to see how they'd react. War does not merely happen and end. A War may take a whole year without anything major happening.

A spark must ignite the hearts of the soldiers, and intent must be created to fuel this needed conflict.

However, that flare was yet to be found. Good thing that the Edgeworths were not in a hurry. They were still only observing the enemies, waiting for them to make their move.

The only thing they were doing actively was preventing the enemy from hunting large scale beasts to feed on.

A Tiger must wait for the optimal time to attack. Thus, the Count was waiting for the enemy to starve by disallowing them any opportunity to hun.

Once ration becomes scarce, then many openings would appear. In some wars, no blood needs to be shed. One needs to be patient and sleep it out to keep the mind as calm as possible…well, maybe don't just sleep all day. That's only the Count.

Back in the Edgeworth Fief, the bustling city was the same as ever. Though the commerce was no longer as lively because of the lack of Magical Beast meat being brought from the Magical Beast Forest, it was bustling and vibrant nonetheless.

In the Edgeworth Manor, it was the same as always. The presence of the men was nowhere to be found, and the children were learning a lot.

It was one in the afternoon; the sun was up, but the pleasant wind compensated for its faults. The Edgeworths were making preparing to leave for the Light Orphanage.

Lyra, Risa, and Countess Faerith were going to take a walk around the city before heading to the orphanage for tea.

It was Lyra's first time participating with the walk, and she was incredibly excited about it. This was weird because for an Edgeworth to be energetic was the same as having Risa voluntarily go to the academy. It was near impossible.

It appears that Lyra either didn't inherit the laziness in her blood, or Filla and Hylda just rubbed off her to become so energetic.

The Countess was leaning on the latter. Filla was also an Edgeworth, but she was nothing like Risa or the Count. Faerith determined that it must have been Hylda that brought about this change.

'She's a godsend to this family.' Is what the Countess thought, 'Should I have Risa play with the children?' She honestly considered the idea.

While the Countess celebrated Lyra's change for the better and reprimanded Risa to change, Mina, Filla, and Hylda boarded a carriage that would take them to the Light Orphanage.

Mary Courtgain was with them as an acting bodyguard.

"Are we ready to leave now, Mistress?" the coachman asked with a smile.

"Yes."

With that, the carriage left. They left with no guard, for they will only make the atmosphere of the city tense, ruining Faerith's and the others' hard work.

The guards saw off the carriage. The gate behind the carriage closed.

While heading to the Light Orphanage, Hylda gathered her courage and asked for a selfish question to Mina.

"Mama, can I get a Soul Partner? I already unlocked my Aura, and I just thought it was about time, oh, but we don't need to get one so quickly. We can wait for later, I just...!" Hylda instantly tried to retract her words.

Hylda was still very embarrassed to ask for herself. So much so that she couldn't even ask for a Soul Partner that she needs.

But Mina gently placed her hands on the embarrassed Hylda with a smile, "You don't need to be embarrassed asking for something so minor. What, do you want to find a Soul Partner now? We can get one from a shop. We just need to make a quick stop."

"Really? AH! Then…um, if that's the case, then, can I request to have one for when Papa comes back?"

"That is not a problem. We'll find one once Darling returns."

Hylda happily threw her fist up in happiness. Then, the carriage stopped.

"Huh? Is something wrong?" Mary asked the coachman as she opened the window.

"Miss Mary, the thing is that someone is blocking our path. I've asked him to move, but he wouldn't step aside." The coachman answered, exasperated about the current situation.

Noting the coachman's tone, Mary deduced that whoever it was blocking their path, then it must be someone stubborn.

She sighed and decided to step out of the carriage. In the middle of the road was a white-haired man staring at the carriage with a smile on his face.

The coachman who had already been exasperated by the situation growled at the man, "You lunatic, get out the road! Do you know who you're blocking!?"

The white haired-man ignored him. This serves only to ignite the burning hate the coachman had against the white-haired man, "Why you little…"

"Mister Coachman, please stop your words. There are children inside."

"Ah! My apologies, Miss Mary."

The coachman apologized.

Mary turned her attention to the white-haired man, "Sir, would you please step aside? We only wish to pass so that we can go to our destination."

Mary didn't sound condescending nor commanding. Her tone was natural and was passive. It was unlike how a noble should speak.

Her flamboyance had slightly lowered since she had stayed with the Edgeworths.

The white-haired man finally responded with a deep sigh, "Beautiful lady, I am afraid I cannot do that. At least, not yet, oh wait, it seems like I'll be moving soon, don't worry."

"What do you…" Mary was bewildered and confused. But then, inside the carriage, Mina's mind was jolted awake, a large amount of mana gathered on the manor's direction.

"Oh, no."

BooM!

A massive explosion devoured the manor from afar. Mary quickly turned her back only to see a tower of black smoke rising to the skies.

150