120. Knight
5.1k 13 133
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Colt fiddled with an evergreen leaf he took from the World Tree.

‘The World Tree only has five leaves, including this. They say it would die if it loses all of its leaves. I need to use this sparingly.’

“You’re going to lose that if you keep fiddling with it for no reason, Young Master.” Sera casually warned him from the side.

“I know, but I noticed that the Dragon Horses recovers quicker when I take it out.” Colt argued.

Staring at the resting Dragon Horses, Sera raised her brows and accepted his point, “But, you still need to put it away. It’s a Mystical Treasure.”

“Yeah, I supposed you are right.” In the end, he was still scolded.

Colt put the leaf back to a slim ancient wooden box. He looked at one last time and kept it in his inner pockets.

“Please, take care of your things and don’t lose them, Young Master.” Sera was borderline disrespectful. If it was anyone else, there was a good chance that her master would feel humiliated and would punish Sera to save face.

But Colt didn’t bother and simply shrugged his shoulders. Though the stigma of a wastrel had mostly vanished, Colt still embraced his past. It was easier to move like that when he’s with his people.

Though he was viewed as somewhat eccentric for a Noble family’s descendent, Colt could hardly care. The Edgeworth Family was a cluster of such eccentricities. So, who gives a damn, really?

’ Acting like this will probably make them think less of me anyway. That should at least obstruct them from thinking I’m trying to become King.’

“Young Master, I’ll be going to train for the time being. I shall take the Chick with me. I need someone to Carry me back if something happens. Please take the cat if you need to train.”

Sera casually picked up the unnamed Chick and brought it with her. Not only had she been changing to a colder and brash butler, but she was also getting more and more straightforward every passing day.

“Remember not to push yourself too hard...I just remembered, where is M? I haven’t seen her since we stopped to rest.”

“Erm…I think she’s preparing herself for you, Young Master.”

Sera scuttled away with the Chick. She was trembling, and with her back turned, it was unknown what kind of expression she had.

‘M is missing again.’ It had been two weeks since they left for the capital. But every time they make a quick stop, M would go somewhere they do not know. But she would return with a haul of monster meat, so Colt had no problem with it.

And if he says anything otherwise, M would prostrate before Colt and apologize as if she had just been convicted of terrorism.

However, Colt would sometimes notice her doing questionable things. As for what those are, it was nothing much but light stalking.

Colt, in the end, couldn’t find anything wrong with her. If she wanted to kill Colt, she would have done it ages ago, not when they were just about to reach the capital.

Their traveling schedule had been relatively quick. The three-week travel was lessened to two weeks. Without guards or making stops to a City in fear of being infected, they managed to save a lot of time.

Colt much preferred it this way so that he’d be able to help create a cure much quicker and get his wedding plan going.

It would become problematic if her name were to be tainted because of her pregnancy without marriage.

Colt went somewhere, carrying his training sword. His mind opened, and his body trembled. He swung his sword for the first time.

Colt was now at the ninth swing, a bit more push, and he would reach the tenth. And with the passing of the night, the tenth swing was realized, elevating his Rank from 5 to 6.

He fell to the ground with a thud, and with a single breath, he released the air trapped in his lungs.

‘Just a little more.’ He quietly whispered to himself.

It was then that he noticed a pair of eyes looking at him with great intensity. It was so intense that it was a miracle it didn’t burn him.

An exasperated sigh escaped him, and finally, he decided to stand up and face the problem at hand, “Do you need anything, Miss M?”

Mary jolted from behind a tree. She froze and walked out from hiding, showing herself to Colt.

‘What the?’ Colt questioned as he found the situation to be rather bizarre.

She was wearing full plate armor and a Valkyrie Helm. On her left hand was a paladin shield and on her right was a sword much bigger than what Colt used but not so big like a two-handed sword.

“Are you going to war, I am not aware of?” Colt couldn’t help but ask.

“N-no, I’m not!” she defended.

Like a maiden that was pure of heart, Mary squirmed as she tried to find the words to say. And as for Colt? He was too shocked to think properly. He failed to grasp the situation.

An awkward silence prevailed.

Only after a few minutes or so did Mary regained her senses to speak, “Y-young Master Colt of the Edgeworth Family, I have come to claim the favor you owe to me.”

“…Right, the favor, then, what can I do for you, Miss Mary?”

Colt finally realized what she was talking about and nodded his head. He wanted to play off the part where he forgot about everything, but his silence was rather hard to miss.

‘He forgot.’ Mary felt indignant.

Mary shook her head as she felt her heartbeat go wild. She could see Colt’s rather irate expression causing her breathing to grow ragged.

‘What’s happening to me? No, no! Come on, Mary Courtgain, get yourself together!’ Mary screamed inside her head, begging herself to get a grip!

As she lowered her weapon, she took in a deep breath and shouted aloud, “I have been watching you, Young Master Colt. I have seen your good heart and intentions.

Your bravery and dedication put me in awe, and that was before you charged into the enemy line just to save Miss Mina and Filla. Thus, I have decided that you are the one meant for me. I want to be by your side, supporting you for when you face the world! So, please, let me stay by your side forever!”

“I’m sorry, I love my fiancée, so I cannot.” An almost instinctive reaction came out from Colt. It was the words he kept at heart. The words he would use if ever someone confesses their love for him.

An instant rejection was enough to bring anyone to tears, but it was only made worse by Colt staring directly at Mary’s eyes.

It was an unwavering gaze devoid of impure thoughts. Mary Courtgain slowly came into a realization as to what Colt had thought of her words. Her face reddened as she threw the sword and shield away! Mary was thrown into a panic!

“AH! NO, NO! I didn’t mean it that way! W-what I meant was that I wanted to be your Knight! Someone who will support you and shield you from harm’s way!”

Listening to her, Colt finally understood what she meant. It appears that a misunderstanding had formed.

“Ohhh, so that’s what you meant. I apologize if I jumped into conclusion, I thought you were proposing to me. It appears that I heard you the wrong way.”

Mary waved her hands around in alarm, “I-it’s no problem, Young Master. I was the one in the wrong. But, may I get your answer?”

As Colt cleared his throat, he stood up straight and looked at Mary’s eyes. In all truthfulness, he doesn’t want to accept her.

He barely knows her in this world, but he knows her very well when this was just an ordinary story.

‘She is the only daughter of the Courtgain Family, a Ducal Family. The youngest of the two children. She’s very loyal and stands up against Villainy. She faced against a crazed Gilbert to a standstill, she’s currently Rank-8, but she’ll reach Master-level soon.’

It was pretty clear what his answer would be.

“I accept. What do I need to do?”

Mary’s eyes brightened as she heard Colt’s words.

“First, get a sword and kindly cut your palm, enough to draw blood…” she recited the necessary words.

Colt used his sword and did what she asked. He didn’t mind getting cut. He was already used to pain. Though it still felt unpleasant.

As blood escaped his body, Mary Courtgain cut her wrist, letting blood drip down onto Colt’s. As the blood merged into one, Mary took Colt’s hand and knelt on one knee.

She placed his hand close to her forehead, a sign of servitude and loyalty to those who travel a Knight’s path.

“I, Mary Courtgain hereby vow that my sword, shield, and life belongs for my Lord’s sake. In the name of the Goddess Root, I seal this Vow with her glorious name.”

Mary then proceeded to lick Colt’s blood, sealing the vow. Colt was taken aback. He had no words and felt like if a certain someone saw him create this vow, his life would be put in danger.

Flustered, Colt retracted his hands in haste. He wiped his hand on the corner of his pants then heard Mary speak, “From now on, I am now your personal Knight...Master.” Mary smiled.

‘…Why does the word Master sound wrong when she uses it?’

133