123. The Cure
4.1k 9 129
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'There are many things unknown about the Red Vein Disease. The people infected are at random, but those who are strong are most likely safe. After all, Gilbert, who alone took care of his wife didn't get infected, does that mean those at Master-level you're immune?'

Colt knew all of these points, but he didn't know how to tell this to the world. After all, he was nothing but a Noble, who knows how to fight at best. 

'At the end of the day, I'm not the expert who discovered the medicine.' He was comparable to that of someone who searched for symptoms on google but only checked one source.

Yes, he could share it and wish for the best, but he was no hero, his every decision does not have a success rate of over 60 %. He was 25% at best.

Night fell, and many more people came. Hungry and people in pain rushed to the manor seeking solace from the harsh world outside.

It took some time, but Colt managed to give everyone food and blankets to warm themselves.

The mana powered lamps around the garden gave light to the people. Colt watched them and the children sleeping. 

As Colt sat under a tree, with his back slumped, he released a deep sigh. The sight before him seemed helpless. 

'I thought I'd be able to save everyone from the disease because I know the list of ingredients, but it didn't end like I hoped it to be.' Colt was saddened, but unlike when he was enraged with Mina and Filla's kidnapping, he was more tamed.

Everything was silent. The groans of people could be heard all around them. By this time, there were a total of 107 infected people in Colt's front yard, 39 of whom were children.

He was distressed and decided to walk away for the time being. The more he saw suffering people, the more it brought him guilt. 

So, he walked away and reached the back garden, where no one was there. 

As Colt played with the soft body of the sleeping Chick, a meow echoed in his ears, "Nyaa." followed with, "Young Master, how may I assist you?"

Six feet away from him was Jin, who was brought there by Fluff. He lowered his head as he was just about to apologize for the incompetence he had shown.

However, Colt stopped him as he threw a piece of folded paper over to Jin.

"What's this, Young Master?" He asked.

"Open it, and you'll know."

Jin did just as he was told, and immediately, he saw a list of materials.

"Herb Grass, Lily Blood Flower, Ice Roots, Froeza, Lascor…" Jin listed off the twenty or so ingredients in his hands. He looked at Colt with a flabbergasted expression, "Y-young Master, t-this is."

"The list of ingredients is supposed to be the cure for this disease. I got it from the supreme commander of the Eastern Commander Corps I fought with down south."

"Wait, did you have this with you the whole time, Young Master!? All around the Continent, thousands of people had already died! And I heard that another surge was happening at the North!" Jin felt quite betrayed as he became irate. It was a given as Colt could have ended this whole thing in a heartbeat but, for some reason, didn't.

He was an Apothecary, and just like what Colt promised him, he became a Hero of sorts. However, that came with a price as for the past months, the whole Continent had been pressuring him to do better.

No one said anything to his face, but the pressure was still there. That was because the anxiety came from himself.

In his mind, he thinks that the death happening around the Continent was because of his incompetence. Colt had already foreseen this possible future, and he was informed that this deadly disease might ravage the Continent.

Indeed, it happened, and they were unprepared. The whole Continent was unprepared, "If I had done better...then we wouldn't be in this situation, Young Master."

Tears fell from Jin's eyes as he weakly said, "This is hard, Young Master Colt. Many people had died because I failed to create the medicine they need...that you told me to create…I…am an...Apothecary, and it is my duty to save them with my medicine. But…I am failing at my role…I am failing your trust, Young Master."

In the end, the only reason why he blamed Colt was to escape from the one he hated the most, himself. Colt watched Jin break down. This would not have had happened if he didn't help him live through his original fate. But still, Colt didn't regret saving him.

Colt listened to his tone and then shook his head, "Keep quiet for a moment, and listen to me."

Jin rubbed his tears away as he looked at his Young Master.

Colt took in a sharp cold of breath as he spoke, "That ingredients I listed was what I managed to decode from the mind of the Supreme Commander that I killed. I got it by chance, Mina's mind was attacked and so was mine, but, because of Fluff's protection, I managed to inherit some of his memories…until just a moment ago, Fluff had been deciding that bit."

"NYAAAA~" Fluff sounded out as it tried to convince Jin.

Jin looked at Colt's unwavering eyes. Jin's trust at Colt was already immense; after all, he was the one who gave him the chance to live a new life. 

Now, the only thing he needed now was to trust himself. As Colt looked at Jin, he gave him a nod, "I know you can do it, Jin. You have already tried and failed, but this time, you can do it! You can save them."

As his mind cooled, he lowered his head, "I…shouldn't have doubted you, Young Master."

"It is not your fault. You have been on edge for the past months. But I ask of you for one final push, do you think you can help me save everyone in the Continent?"

With a determined gaze, Jin nodded his head, "Yes, Young Master." 

"Good, then, have Mary follow you to the Apothecary Guild if you need materials. I only gave you a list of materials. You have to think of the process yourself."

"Don't worry, Young Master. I won't fail you."

Jin left, despite his mind being riddled with questions. A question like "Why does that Supreme Commander have the list" came to mind, but he didn't ask them as he thought he was losing valuable time. 

The Chick watched Jin leave as it asked in a whispering voice, "You lied to him, didn't you? Older brother has no such powers." 

"It's better this way. Some things are better left unknown. Also, you're going to get a tub full of food once this is over." Colt gave Fluff a thumbs up.

And Fluff drooled.

Colt looked at the moon again, he closed his eyes and thought, 'I didn't have a choice.'

He took the risk and tried to save everyone. His excuse had many holes, but for now, to keep his conscience from falling apart, this would be enough.

If Jin carried the guilt of incompetence, then Colt bore the weight of the life-saving ingredients slash materials.

Colt sat on the ground then as he was just about to finally take a rest, he remembered an important character, 'Gilbert!'

129