160. Hylda’s Birthday [Volume 4. Hero]
3.2k 8 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Nobles are wasteful. They throw away food and spend too much money on unnecessary things. Their celebration is nothing but a gathering of boisterous nonsense where they try to throw their weight as much as possible then leaving the food untouched. The celebration of Nobles is nothing but useless yammering and wasteful expenditure.”

Every time such an occasion appears, it was inevitable many would be displeased. Only the merchants would be happy, and the others would curse them for their ways.

However, there was one place where a new kind of celebration happened. On the 24th day of November, the Wing-City was in a joyous mood.

Everyone was drinking, and delicious food was laid out on the streets, both prepared by the Edgeworth Family and the ordinary people. A birthday was actually being treated like a proper holiday.

But unlike before, the guards were free from their jobs today as the ones assigned to keep peace of the city were Colt’s Squadron and an unlucky portion of the Count’s Soldiers.

It was once again the birthday of one of Colt Edgeworth’s daughter.

“Praised the Young Miss!”

Such drunken chant echoed all over the city, and Hylda’s ears reverberated with their voices.

“Big Sis Hylda, what are you doing there? We are about to head to the Orphanage; everyone is waiting for us!” Filla said while doing something strenuous.

“Yes, Big Sis Hylda, let’s go. Sister Fer said she’ll show us her Soul Partners today as your birthday gift. Don’t disobey—your—aunty!” Lyra was pulling with all her might as she spoke.

“Not possible, not possible, not possible…I-I, can’t go out there with those drunkards there. It’s embarrassing!” Hylda shouted while tightly hugging a tree.

Her red was all red from the embarrassment of hearing her name echo for who knows how far? And as to why she was hugging a tree, it was because the two Mage lasses were giving it their all to pull her out of the manor.

Hylda had grown from her sheepish self, but this occasion was at a different magnitude. She failed to understand how Filla lasted, hearing her name being chanted by so many people.

However, even her grip failed to last long as the two young lasses managed to drag her away. Hylda was tearing up as she pouted. She wanted to call for help, but everyone she had thought who could help her was too preoccupied doing something else.

Apollo (Infernal Umbra Pegasus), her Soul Partner, couldn’t move an inch for some reason with Fluff sitting atop its head. It was also in its Mini form, which was no bigger than a pony’s, so it couldn’t intimidate the two…which wouldn’t even work even if it was any typical day.

Arte was nearby, but he was bruised from a fight. Not with Shickly, but Hylda. He was not worthy to help her. Besides, if he did try something against the other two lasses, it would only mean his death under Hylda’s spear.

Shickly was also nearby, but he was too busy watching them to do anything. It was currently his break, and he was spending it all in watching his young daughter and two granddaughters act like children…it was the best way to spend his time.

As Hylda was forced to get out of the mansion, Shickly followed closely behind them with a doting smile. Arte was also following suit, but Shickly made sure he was never anywhere 6 feet near Hylda.

‘You lost to her; you should be ashamed. You can only get close to her if you win against her.’ Was Shickly’s words to the boy.

At first, Arte’s expression beamed when he heard Shickly’s words. He thought he had a chance to actually get closer to Hylda while having the approval of this doting old man, but, Shickly noticed his smile.

‘But if you win, then you must have hit her, so as punishment, you’re to stay 6 feet away from her.’ Shickly was slowly becoming pettier by the day. But Arte was still lucky as Liron was not present as that person had already reared a daughter as a single father…that General had more protective measures than he has backup plans when in wars.

Long story short, Shickly was enjoying himself.

Faerith didn’t say anything as she too was enjoying by his side. Other than Colt and Mina, it was a family gathering of chaotic proportions.

Hylda was on the verge of tears while being carried away. As they walked out of the

As for where Mina and Colt were, the two were in the Orphanage having tea with the Sera, Sister Fer and Sister Mary. They were outside, waiting for Hylda and the rest to arrive, and all the while Sister Mary, Mina, Colt, and even Sera enjoyed their tea and snacks, Fer was kneeling nearby.

Her head was lowered and had a severe expression. She was alert and ready for what might happen. The mission was to protect Colt, and Mina, the ones favored by the Goddesses. No one, not even a single fly, would be able to bypass her watch.

Colt…did not feel good about this at all, “Hmm, do you not think that’s a little unnecessary? Why don’t you join us for tea, Sister Fer?”

“No, I am too unworthy to even eat at the same table as you are, my Lord. Please, continue as this lowly servant of yours protect you from any and every harm.”

Colt did not know when Fer had become his servant, but he failed to say anything back to her. It was quite exhausting, but nonetheless, he was unable to say anything to her. Her devotion towards the no-good Goddesses was too intense for him to say anything back.

Sister Mary, however, had something to say, “Just stop that already. He said it’s fine, so what’s the matter with abiding with his request?”

Which Sister Fer answered with a snort, “This is where a proper servant of the Goddesses should be before the Apostle, they have sent to save us. I am not as disrespectful as someone who knows nothing but an unnecessary attitude to the Apostle.”

Sister Fer’s words in the past never went past the stage of teasing Sister Mary for a reaction. However, it was laced with unwanted intent.

Sister Mary didn’t care. She just sighed before drinking some more tea, “What a fine day this is.”

Being ignored, Sister Fer felt like her cheeks were burning. She wanted to say something more taunting but thought that Sister Mary wouldn’t even bother to even listen to her, so she kept her mouth shut.

However, Mina’s voice echoed this time around, “Sister Fer, why don’t you sit with us on the table and have some tea with us.”

“I can’t pos—”

“Have tea with us.”

“I understand…”

Mina merely needed to repeat her words for Fer to know who she was refusing. Mina nodded slightly at Colt, for she knew he did not like having anyone acting too formal with him.

Colt nodded his head in appreciation to Mina. As Colt drew in a sharp breath, he looked at Fer. He gathered himself to acted with nonchalance, “I do not like to be bothered unless there is something of importance to do. Please do not draw any more attention to me if possible.”

Sister Fer’s mind began to race, and just as she was about to lower her head, she did her best to stop before nodding her head, “I shall try my best, my Lord.”

“Just refer to me as your Young Master Colt, and if possible keep the word of my existence to yourself and Sister Mary. I can’t have anyone bothering me for the time being.”

Sister Fer’s brows shot up. She realized her mistake and felt her heart beating really fast. She wanted to speak of what she had done, but Sister Mary beat her to it…

“Don’t worry, your letters didn’t reach them. I made sure to intercept them before they can leave the fief.”

“What!?” Sister Fer was angered by her blasphemous act.

“Don’t question me like that, I knew the Young Master Apostle didn’t want attention to himself, so I actually did you a favor. You should be bowing your head to me if anything else.” Sister Mary said with grace. Her irritation had been blown away after hearing Mina reprimand Fer.

The atmosphere was rather chaotic with Sister Fer hating on Sister Mary, but all in all, it was the same old day. The people’s cheers echoed, and after an hour or so, Hylda and the rest reached the Orphanage.

When Hylda arrived, her face was entirely red from embarrassment, she went to Mina to speak of her grievances…

“E-everyone’s too nice…” That was the summary of the grievance. And Mina could only sigh at her.

‘It appears she’s not that strong just yet.’ Colt nodded his head.

The whole afternoon was spent playing. Colt and Shickly watched the children while the women spent a pleasant afternoon.

Risa arrived at around 4:00 pm, and the deep bags under her eyes were very much apparent.

“Happy birthday, Hylda.” She said with her most energetic voice.

She had been having trouble sleeping after the incident in the Magical Beast Forest.

She was not traumatized; no, she actually enjoyed having her life on the line. The cause of her worries was because Drako left as soon as its wings got reattached.

Risa did not know where Drako went, but it had been two days, and she feared that it actually left her for good. She was depressed as if her dog had run away from her.

Even Colt felt terrible for her losing her dragon.

The sun soon went down, but the festivities were only still beginning. Everyone was enjoying themselves, that was, except for Risa, who was clearly depressed.

However, that day was a joyous day for everyone, and that also meant for Risa.

It was nearing Midnight. Risa sat under a tree on the back of the Orphanage with her head resting on her chin.

She looked upon the horizon and behind her was an approaching Colt whose intent was to make her feel better.

However, when Colt was just about to touch Risa’s shoulder, a dark shadow was cast on them.

“DRAKO!” Risa called out.

The two siblings raised their heads and saw Drako flapping its wings as it descended from above.

It then landed before Risa and lowered its head, “I apologize for taking so long, Risa. But, I had to get something back on the Magical Beast Forest now that the Gargantusk was no more.”

Slowly, Drako became smaller and smaller until it was as big as a tiger, and from its back, two furry creatures appeared.

“This is…” Risa and Colt couldn’t believe their eyes.

It was two baby Gargantusks. The creatures were no bigger than an adult dog, a massive contrast to their mother.

From there, it was natural what happened next. Risa adopted one of the Gargantusk, a being that could contend and even best a Dragon. She now has one previous King of the Magical Beast Forest and another that was the spawn of the now-deceased King Magical Beast Forest.

She now had one of the strongest Soul Partners on the Continent.

As for the other Gargantusk, it was decided that Hylda would care for it and make it her future second Soul Partner.

It was a rather fruitful night where Risa and Hylda tossed their hands in the air while Colt was on the side, being bitter as he remembered the horrifically awesome adult Gargantusk.

81