Chapter 2: Home Sweet Home
4.4k 9 112
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The car ride was… interesting. Heather’s car was a Prius. I was picked up and sat in the passenger seat. As we drove, I wiggled around. We tried using a seatbelt, but it just kept going through me. It was almost impossible for me to stay still as I just kept sliding around like I was on ice. I kept leaving a trail like a slime, which I apologized for profusely.

After a half-hour car ride, we arrived at a Heather’s place. It was a house apartment building. The outside was covered in blue-panels and the windows had white shutters. The building itself was two stories and there were two entrances. One was a staircase up the side and the other was the front door. There didn’t appear to be a backyard and there was only a porch in the front. Surrounding the house were two similarly sized houses a fair distance apart. Each had their own driveway that kept them separated.

“Ugh… you are gross, and you ruined my nice leather seats,” Heather said as she picked me up out of the seat.

“It’s not like I wanted to be this way,” I retorted.

“I’m gonna look some stuff up in a bit. You might be able to change your form to something more suitable and less… slimy,”

“That would be very helpful,” I agreed.

Heather climbed the steps on the side. I guess she had the top apartment. Carefully, she slipped her keys out of her pocket.

“Shit,” Heather mumbled.

The keys began to fall out of her hand. I saw them fall and instinctively tried to reach out my hand. What happened next surprised the both of us. Slime extended from my body and caught the keys. It was like a tube of slime extended from my body. I also got a good look at it… apparently, I was orange. Most slimes in media tend to be a light blue. This was a first. There were a lot of firsts today.

“Um… here you go,”

I lifted the tube-like arm and it dissolved as I placed the keys in Heather’s hand. The keys themselves, were unfortunately still covered in slime. Heather looked to me with a smile.

“Thanks…" Heather said, "still better than having to walk all the way down and back up again,”

She was right about that. The stairs below us were like the ones for a fire escape, meaning they had plenty of holes for keys to fall through. Heather wiped the keys on her pants and opened the door. Inside was a somewhat large living area with a kitchenette. There was a small leather sofa, a coffee table, a somewhat large TV with a stand, a bookshelf, various plants, a couple game consoles, a laptop, plenty of coasters, and some picture frames. The kitchenette had an oven and stove, a tall refrigerator, a microwave, a sink, and a dish rack. It seemed quite cozy. Beyond the living area/kitchenette was a small hallway that curved and had some more doors.

“Welcome to my abode!”

She started walking down the hallway and opened one of the doors. Inside was a bathroom that had a shower-tub combo, a toilet, a sink, and a couple cabinets, one with a mirror. I got a better look at myself in the mirror. I was about the size of a volleyball and definitely orange. My eyes were like two little dots and in the center of me was what looked to be an orange crystal.

Without hesitation, Heather plopped me in the bathtub. Immediately, she began washing her hands. Her top and pants were soaked in slime.

“I’m gonna change. Wait here a sec,”

I was left to sit in the bathtub for a couple minutes. It was lonely, but I perfectly understood her reasoning. Who would want a slimy creature wander around their house? I didn’t know how to control myself so a bathtub would be the perfect place since it can just be washed out.

“Alright. Let’s see what we can do,” I heard Heather say outside the bathroom. She came back with a black t-shirt, and jeans. I only got a glimpse, but holy hell did she have abs. Could’ve sworn I saw a six-pack. She also had her laptop with her. I hopped closer to the edge of the tub as she sat down with her back to me. So, this alternate world had a search engine called, Loople. I guess it’s a lot like my world. Among her searches included, ‘What do slimes eat,’ ‘How to take care of a slime,’ and ‘A guide to sapient slimes,’

“Ooh. Looks like there’s an informational video about slimes,”

Clicking on the video revealed what appeared to be a human standing at a podium.

“Hello everyone! My name is Dr. Michael Francis, and today I will be telling you all about slimes,”

The man appeared to be in his mid-thirties, had shaggy brown hair, a bit of stubble. To be honest, he was kinda handsome.

“Now you might be thinking. ‘How could a guy like me know so much about slimes?’ To tell you the truth…”

The man’s color changed. Everything about him changed to a singular, dark blue.

“I’m a slime! I think a slime would know better than anyone about slimes,”

“No shit,” Heather muttered.

“I’ll be answering some of the most common questions I get on a daily basis. First, how are you not sticking up everything? Well the answer to that is in the way I perceive myself. I can actually change how my slime reacts to the objects around me. For example, if I perceive myself as sticky, I can actually cling to walls. The same goes for being smooth. If I think of myself as smooth, nothing will get slimed when I touch it. This also applies to various parts of my body. If I want, I can make just my hand sticky and the rest of my body can be smooth,”

Heather paused the video.

“Well that’s handy. Hey why don’t you try that out?” Heather suggested.

“Okay… I’ll try,”

My voice wavered a little. I had zero confidence in myself to actually do this. How was a human supposed to figure out how to perceive itself as smooth? I pictured the stereotypical round, smooth slime, and tried to picture myself as that. Suddenly, I felt myself being lifted up. I opened my “eyes,” to see Heather’s face at my level. Actually, I was at her level. She was holding me up!

“Seems like it worked. Nice job Celeste!”

“T-Thanks,”

God I could feel myself blushing. Could slimes blush? I really hoped it wasn’t noticeable. What would a blush look like on an orange body?

“Okay, now that’s settled, let’s have another look and see what we can learn,”

Heather placed me in her lap and put the laptop in front of us. She started up the video again.

“Onto the next question. How do you take on different forms? This one is a little tricky. It’s sort of like the previous one. I have to picture myself in the form I want to take. This isn’t the only form I can use,”

Before our eyes, the shaggy, brown haired man had turned into a shorter, blonde woman.

“It usually helps to have a reference to picture yourself off of,”

Even the voice had changed. That was impressive.

“This form is of my lovely coworker Dr. Gina Cohen. The other form is one completely unique to me. I started off with the base as an actor and sort of… sculpted myself in a mirror. That goes for the voice as well. It’s sort of like tuning an instrument to get it the way you want it. All slimes have a default form of a volleyball sized mound and a lot have different colors. After maintaining a form for a long period of time, it becomes a second default form. Right! Color! There’s a little trick to getting the all different colors to use. And that trick… is food coloring! I squirted a bunch of different colors and now I can use all the colors of the rainbow. Like how I change my brown hair into a blonde,”

Heather paused the video again.

“Hold on… I think I have a bunch of coloring from last Christmas,”

She rushed out of the room. I heard a bunch of clanging from the kitchen followed by a cry of victory. A moment later, she returned with a handful of different colors.

“Alright. Let’s do this!”

Before I could say anything, she began to spray me with food coloring. Once she was done, I felt a little strange. I could taste the food coloring… blech. Eventually, the weird feeling passed. I tried extending a tube-arm like before and it was still orange.

“Huh. The food coloring got absorbed,” Heather commented.

“Absorbed?”

“Yeah. It’s not there anymore. Try focusing on what you looked like as a human,”

I closed my eyes and began picturing myself from yesterday. My hair, my face, my arms, my legs, my chest. I remembered it all clearly. A moment later, I opened my eyes and I was slightly shorter than Heather. Looking down, I saw my human body with my pale skin.

“I did it!”

As I looked up, I saw Heather blushing. She looked at me, covered her eyes, and then quickly exited the bathroom. I looked back down… and realized I was naked. Quickly, I covered myself with my hands. It felt like human skin. Slimes are so weird. The door was opened and clothes were thrown in.

“Try those on. See if they fit,” I could hear Heather say. Her voice was a little sheepish from the other side of the door. I started feeling really embarrassed. The clothes she had given me were some athletic shorts, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt. No underwear unfortunately.

“I’m dressed now,”

I opened the door and Heather was standing outside. Based on my height, she looked about a few inches taller than me. Since I was 5’8” (≈173cm) she was probably around 6’1 (≈186cm). She looked at me and relaxed a little, but still seemed to be on edge.

“So… what’s your story?”

 

Much like my last note, thank you to all those who gave me advice and criticism. I appreciate every last bit of it. Again, I went back and edited a little and changed the way dialogue is said. I hope you will all continue to enjoy Celeste's and Heather's story together.

112