Chapter 19: Is it Alright for Such a Visit…?
1.3k 11 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Peach didn’t like it one bit that they were travelling down the narrow, short elevator coming down to see Bowsette like this. If she had it her way, they would simply keep her down here for the rest of time, at least until there was a good enough path to redemption.

Redemption... Peach never thought she’d be saying that about someone as vile and evil as Bowsette.

Er, Bowser?

She remembered that moment, not so long ago, when Bowser had asked her in no uncertain terms to call her Bowsette. But so much had happened since then, and he had lost the Super Crown by now, so... she wasn’t sure what the situation was now. She would keep calling Bowser by Bowser for now, if only to keep it all consistent in her head, but she felt a pang of guilt upon deciding it so.

Peach had tried explaining all of this to Mario the other night, but he didn’t seem like he had any ability to understand it. Then again, with how rarely he expressed his own feelings, it was impossible for Peach to understand anything about him, either.

Finally, they reached the bottom floor of the prison. They had passed so many floors of despicable criminals that had plagued the Mushroom Kingdom, like the Renzor Gang and their rivals the Rexes, the serial killer Toad Bundy, the evil Thwomp King himself... and yet Peach felt guilt towards all of them. This was such a horrible place to live, and they were unable to bring themselves out of the prisoners locking away the goodness in their hearts. This was not rehabilitation; this was simple punishment.

She WAS the royal ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom. Why she was letting this simply happen was... well it was out of fear of ignorance. She trusted her advisors, and they had never even deigned it necessary to mention prison conditions to her before now. No-one thought it relevant.

They reached Bowser’s cell, the only occupied one in the entire prison. He saw the two of them, and his eyes brightened up for a moment before settling back into a distant grimace.

“Hiya, Bowser,” Mario said. “How are you doing?”

“I’m fine,” he replied curtly.

“I wanted to see you personally,” Peach said. “As you may know, your criminal trial is tomorrow, and it may be a very emotional event for you. If you need us to delay it...”

“I don’t need it.”

“Even so. If there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to ask. You are an evil lizard, but we have still known you for so long that...”

Bowser got up and walked up to the bar. “My fire powers no longer work because of your boyfriend’s soul power,” he began. “But if I had them, I promise you you’d be in flames right now.”

Peach backed away a few steps.

Bowser grinned, all his teeth showing and his red mane hairs standing up.

But even with the menacing glare, his eyes could not hide the sadness within his heart. And that’s what made Peach upset the most. Not the empty threats or the threatening looks. The crushing disappointment he gave towards her.

She knew mixing pity and anger simultaneously was dangerous. This was all getting out of hand...

66