2.4 A Loser is Given an Option
175 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment M.S.F. viewed my information she proceeded to touch my forehead and give me what seemed to be the spell. A warm feeling invaded my brain and all these unfamiliar symbols appeared. Regardless of whether I understand it or not, after that I had a basic idea of how the healing magic "Transcendent light heal" worked. I healed her and she turned back into a dragon. Everything was silent. 

This is a development that I didn't want, and that I wasn't really expecting. I don't know what she thinks of me now. She hasn't said a thing. It's been three days and she hasn't eaten one of my legs again. That being said I can walk around now. I'm still not doing anything but at least I'm not immobile. In a way it feels worse now. I'm thirsty, hungry, and I can't help myself even while being able to move. 

What I should do is ask M.S.F. about this world. That magic thing was a huge shock and another piece of information like that is probably just around the corner. If I'm being honest I expected this world to be more… monster hunter or legend of Zelda? The only information I have here is the two animals I've seen and that little slip of paper that drifted out of nowhere. What kind of crazy video games is that kid goddess playing? Possibly not even ones from Earth. 

But, an unexpected sound came. As I sat, dazed, against the cave wall a voice was heard. M.S.F., in dragon form had spoken.

"Arthur…" She said.

I turned and looked at her. 

"Who are you?" She asked. 

Forward questions are uncomfortable. What kind of question is that? She probably means where I came from since she already knows my name. Maybe it's morally speaking because of the magic. Shouldn't she have asked this before keeping me prisoner? 

"Uh-" I hesitated for a second. I know who I am at least but being asked that suddenly is unnerving. "Arthur Callon?" Somehow unsure of this answer I said my name.

"No. What sort of life have you lived until now, Arthur Callon?

"Oh."

I thought that was what you meant. If I say that I'll sound like an idiot trying to cover his ass. Can I just respond? A-Goddess never told me not to tell people I was from another world. Telling this dragon won't do me any harm, probably. 

"I'm… from another world, one called Earth." 

The dragon was silent for a while. She puffed smoke from her nose as she seemed to think.

"A what?"

What do you mean 'a what?', another world! I can't say that! I can't say anything that's coming to mind to respond to her. What does she mean?!

"You..."

I turned my gaze away from her. 

A puff of smoke covered the floor. I thought in that very moment M.S.F. was going to eat me but she turned her head away and rested it on her dragon hands like a dog. 

I sighed in relief. Thank goodness she didn't care. 

"Tell me then, what is this "other world"?"

"It's a place called Earth." I responded this time without looking at her. 

"Earth… Is that a country across the Ocean? Is it across the Desert?"

I just told her that… what's wrong with my explanation? The moment I thought that it dawned on me that the idea of another world might be too foreign for her to understand even on its own. What does that even mean to me? Is it a parallel dimension? Is this some sort of afterlife? Maybe this is just a distant planet. Honestly, it's actually a good question I never considered. Someone smarter than me would probably have a better idea. 

"I'm… not sure."

"I ask these things of you because I'm now questioning if you truly are a human mage at all." She said.

"Oh." I didn't have a good response. Maybe I'm some different kind of species. I sure haven't eaten anyone. But- she said human just now, didn't she? That means at the very least humans exist in this world. 

"Yes, it is that the species "Callon" is unfamiliar to me."

No, that's my last name. That's not my species. I can't say that though. Wait, the way she's acting I suppose I can?

"That's not my species, that's my name"

"How particular…"

She didn't mind it at all. Maybe I'm being too cautious with how I talk to this dragon? I turned around and flinched back. Her massive head was right here behind me. I thought she was across the room. I didn't hear her move at all. I guess I just wasn't paying attention? That's terrifying to think she always had the ability to be that quiet. 

"I have… something to ask of you, Arthur Callon. Something that will allow you to win your freedom."

"Ha, weren't you scared that I would use my power to just run away?" I smirked.

"I realized that if you had the power to kill me and leave here by yourself you would have done that. No one would stay in a cave and let someone eat them… Unless you are the type to find pleasure in that…" That second part was questionable but the first part was right.

Regardless, this is probably a good chance. She was right, I wouldn't be able to get out of this cave by myself. If I could I would have already done it. I looked down at myself and wondered what this dragon could possibly want me for other than food. I was missing one leg, half naked, and I had no idea how to use any of the powers I theoretically had. At least I knew I had one thing, I can't really die all that easily, now, can I? 

Steeling myself, I decided that whatever it was probably would be better than staying here until the master of the silent forest decided to let me go. That would probably mean never any way.

"What could you possibly need my help with?"

"When your leg returns, help me fight the previous master of the forest." The dragon went silent for a moment after saying this. Even if I couldn't tell exactly what her expression was I could tell that her words were steeped in a heavy sadness. "When he is finally put to rest I will let you leave."

7