3.2 A Loser Assists in Battle Part 2
172 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Undead dragons then? I can only assume this was personal. I watched the two tussle, rolling over each other in a puddle of blood and leakage. They stabbed and bit, going for what I can only assume are the vitals. M.S.F spewed out a curtain of fire, engulfing the other dragon and the forest behind them. Their battle has cleared a bigger opening in the trees than before. All this action even tore crevices in the ground reaching all the way to rock. The other dragon let out a roaring scream again, sending saliva and blood flying. This place became a hell-scape rather quickly. 

I don't feel as terrified as I should be. I'm numb as I watch two giant monsters roll around in a sea of blood and fire. I'm trying to catch my breath closer to the ground, really. Thankfully this forest doesn't have as much underbrush as a forest probably should but that doesn't exclude it from the needles being on fire. I really can't catch my breath. It's not late enough in the day for me to almost die so I'm bending down under the layer of smoke to get a breath. It's blazing hot as well. I almost have to turn my face away from the main subject of this to not have my face assaulted with heat. I'm not even close to them, probably 30-50 yards at least.

"Arthur!"

Ah, right, 

"Transcendent light heal!" Blindly while crouching I force both my hands out in the direction of the voice. 

I hear a terrible screeching instead. 

The other dragon is engulfed in a glow of pink light. Ah, I missed. I felt the blood rushing out of my face even with the heat. Oh, God, what did I just do?

M.S.F backed away from the monster as it's wounds began to close up. I could hear her breathing, ragged as it was, near me as she retreated slightly. The other dragon continued to scream as it was healed, spewing white liquid in all directions. I rolled on the ground, crashing into a few burning trees. My thoughts went silent. In one motion M.S.F grabbed me with her foreclaw. The sharp talons of her fingers dug into my sides, shocking me back into reality. 

“Ahg!” I shouted in pain. 

The dragon holding me pushed off the ground with her powerful back legs launching herself into the air. Her black wings unfurrow above me, blocking out the sunlight. The crackling fire sent waves of heat up into the air. She soared up into the sky on a harsh updraft coming from below. I grabbed at the claws digging into my body, which was getting much, much worse as the dragon clenched her grip. I inhaled a sharp breath as she shifted. I would probably be dead right now if I didn’t have a layer of fat in the place she was holding onto: my waist, that’s a positive.  

You idiot!” The dragon above me roared. With fire in her breath she screamed this into the sky over and over again. 

Idiot! Idiot! Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!” Even with the strength of that dragon’s voice the tone trembled as she yelled. Her wings faltered. I stared up at her.

I’m torn, I’m in pain, and I’m sort of angry but I feel bad. I’m being irrational; is this Stockholm syndrome? I feel bad for her when I should be feeling bad for myself. I should have just run away while she was fighting. I’m a damn idiot. I really am a damn idiot.

With the fire and the other dragon a good ways behind us, M.S.F. landed between the trees, placing me on the ground. I stagger, holding my side. 

Transcendent light heal.” with a single claw on her right hand pointed at me the dragon casts the healing spell on my body and the bleeding subsides. 

I am such a fool.”  With this statement she went quiet and fell limply onto the ground

Wait, was she talking about herself? I thought she was calling me an idiot just then. This is my chance to walk after my moment of kindness fighting at her side so I should take what I have and leave this story to its own devices. Despite this though, the dragon decided this is her chance to exposit. 

I dreamt that if I had a mage by my side in this battle I would be able to vanquish him. I am powerless to the strength of the undead on my own, his numb flesh does not recoil to my strikes, his movements are not dulled as fights drag on, his mind does not act as thinking dragons do. I- I am weak. I imagined that replenishing my life in times of peril would bolster my prowess but I am weak. Even in death the Master of the Silent Forest is my better.” She turned her neck back to me. I can’t read lizard eyes for emotion but that little speech was something, at least. If anything, I’m uncomfortable. “But you, a mage as you are, would not have empathy for one such as myself. I would not expect it. I treated you poorly. I am shocked you still stand here listening to me. You are a man of many stories after all, Arthur Callon, why would you need to hear one more? Pathetic as I am. I am not the Master of the Silent Forest. I do not even have a name.

 

8