Chapter 123. The Demon Shield
14.1k 9 293
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The Incubus System Chapter 123. The Demon Shield
"What are you thinking?" Pearl's voice dispersed my thoughts.
"Looks like I have to find out more about Myra," I said. It was just a wild guess, but it really bothered me.
"Are you worried that she has a connection with the demon hunter association?" she guessed.
"Yes. And I don't want to deal with the association." Actually, it was not that I didn't want to, but I didn't want to deal with them directly. At least for now.
Pearl was silent as she deep in thought for a moment.
"Should I see her again? I can check her with my tentacles, " she offered her help.
I turned my gaze at her and smiled.
"That's okay. I'll find another way." I was glad Pearl was willing to help me, but I didn't want to involve her in my personal business with the Demon Hunter Association.
"What is your plan?" she asked.
"I'll find out about Myra from my acquaintance. She should know something about her." If Myra was a demon hunter like Emma, Emma should know something about her, especially since they came from the magic technology company's families.
"When do you want to meet her?"
"Maybe tonight." Camila's divorce trial was in three days, Miguel would see me tomorrow or the day after and I had to be ready for that. I could only hope that my guess was wrong because if it was right, it meant Camila's divorce was worse than I thought. But of course, I had to contact Emma first since I didn't know where Emma's house was. That's why I had to go home soon since I didn't bring my cellphone.
Pearl's gaze turned worried.
"What is wrong?" I asked, my hand moved, rubbing her cheek.
She sighed and held my hand that was on her cheek.
"The demon's attacks have gotten worse lately, I'm worried about you."
I gave her a reassuring smile.
"I can take care of myself," I said in a gentle voice.
Despite my words, her worries didn't fade. She thought for a moment. But a second later she had an idea.
"Do you want to try out my device?" she said.
"I think-"
But before I could finish my words, she interrupted me. Looks like she knew I wanted to turn her down.
"Wait a second. I will get it for you." She got up from her seat, went to her desk and opened the drawer. She took a box that shaped like a large clam and brought it to me.
She plopped beside me and opened the box, revealing a device that resembled a police magic shield bracelet in silver. A small rectangular-shaped device was in the middle of it and four small blue dots were on one side, indicating that the device's battery was fully charged.
"What do you think?" she asked excitedly.
My eyes looked at the device anxiously and my heart was beating fast. I was a demon, if she used that device here then my identity would be exposed.
"Well, I think that's a cool device." Luckily, Pearl's tentacles or hands didn't stick onto me, otherwise, she would have realized my anxiety.
She took the device from the box and gave it to me.
"Do you want to try it? It will protect you from the demon."
"Pearl, this is an important device. What if I break it?" I refused.
"If it's broken, it means it's a failed device and does not deserve recognition," she said with a smile.
I glanced at the bracelet one more time before returning my gaze to her. Even though I realized her good intentions, I couldn't take the device with me. What kind of demon used a human device to protect himself from other demons.
"Never mind, I don't want to bring something as important like this with me."
She let out a disappointed sigh.
"Fine."
"I'm sorry," I said in an apologetic tone.
"I'll forgive you if you kiss me," she pouted in a spoiled tone.
My smile appeared. I thought she would be angry, but I was wrong. My hand brushed her hair gently, while my other hand held her cheek. I brought my face closer to her and my lips landed on her.
- Clak!
A sound accompanied by a movement in my hand startled me. I pulled myself in surprise, my eyes widened when I saw that the bracelet was already on my wrist. Before I could say anything, Pearl spoke again.
"Demon Shield!"
My heart was beating faster since I knew she activated the device.
"Wai-" As that device glowed, an announcement appeared before me.
[The Demon Shield has been activated.]
[Your DP will decrease by 1 point per minute]
I turned my gaze forward, the light blue transparent wall surrounded me like a dome one meter in front of me. Meanwhile, Pearl was still sitting next to me, even though her body was between the transparent walls.
"What ...?" I muttered unconsciously, my confusion clearly visible from my face and eyes. From my system, I knew this device was working well, but how could this device not reject me though I was a demon?
She giggled at my reaction.
"Why do you look like that?"
I didn't answer since my mind was deep in thought, trying to figure out why this device didn't reject me. Hesitantly, I reached out my hand forward to touch the transparent wall and my fingers went through it without any resistance. I moved my fingers in all directions to confirm it but there was no reaction from there.
'But why? Is it because I was a human? Or ... 'Another thought crossed my head. I turned to Pearl.
"Pearl, does this device use a demon detector as a guide?" I guessed.
"Bingo!" She confirmed my guess with a smile.
"Sometimes, the demons disguise themselves and mingle with us to find their prey. That's why I connected this demon shield with the mini demon detector inside. If a demon tries to get close to the user, the demon shield will automatically activate by itself."
Secretly, I let out a sigh of relief after hearing her explanation, but I kept my composure in front of her. That meant this device also worked by detecting demonic aura, so it didn't detect me as a demon.
"This is indeed an amazing device," I said.
"But you have to be careful. That device won't work if you run out of MP," she warned.
"I understand." Then I raised my hand, showing her the device.
"How do I turn it off?"
"Cancel the demon shield!" she said. The device glowed again and slowly the transparent walls around me disappeared.
[The Demon Shield has been deactivated.]
"Stardustechnologies should be interested in this," I remembered the reason why Emma became a Demon Hunter because she didn't want anyone else to be the same fate as her. I thought that was also why the Stardustechnologies that her father founded focused on making devices to protect humans such as magic shields and anti-demon doors.
"You don't need to think about it." She rubbed my cheek once again.
"For me, the important thing is your safety."
I smiled. When I met her for the first time, I thought Pearl was a bad girl who liked to make fun of men but deep inside she was a gentle and caring woman. It was just her family wasted her so she ended up doing the wrong thing.
As that thought crossed my head, an announcement appeared before me.
[You are connected to Foxy.]
Followed by Foxy's voice inside my head.
'Master! Master! Those women are in front of your house now. What should I do?' Her voice sounded panicked.
'Who do you mean?'
'Ruby and Mrs Clea, 'she replied.
I gasped as my heart was beating fast again.
'Wait for me and don't open the door just yet,' I ordered.
'Yes, master.' After that answer, she broke off her connection with me.
[You have disconnected with Foxy.]
"It's getting late. I have to go now," I said as I stood up from my seat. I didn't know why Ruby and Mrs Clea came to my house. I guessed they shouldn't have detected Foxy and me, but I couldn't confirm it before meeting them.
"I'll ask my chauffeur to take you," she said as she stood up.
"That's okay. I'll walk by myself ." Then I raised my wrist, showing her demon shield bracelet.
"Besides, I have this now. You don't have to worry about me."
Pearl let out a sigh of surrender.
"Okay."
293