Prologue I – Death
6.6k 11 132
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Doors flung open as two burly men dragged a frail and pale man out. People of all ages rushed over trying to get a glimpse of the frail man who had been lauded in the past as a saint. However, it seemed that they have all been lied to.

 

Instead of being the saint he was falsely believed to be, the heroes and the king found out that this man was the cause of most of the pandemics that had plagued them over the course of two decades.

 

The thoughts of losing their loved ones as well as their means for food angered the people. Baskets upon baskets of rotten vegetables and spoiled eggs smashed onto the so-called saint before he boarded the prison cart.

 

As the frail man grasped onto the wooden bars of the prison cart, he pleaded his innocence with whatever strength he had left to muster. The heroes and the king were the evil ones. The people had been lied to and that he was the good guy.

 

Naturally, the civilians didn’t believe a word he said. After all, these words were exactly what the heroes and the king had used against him. In the people’s minds, the frail man was just unoriginally repeating whatever that was accused upon him.

 

Throughout the mile-long journey to the execution site, the frail man was pelted with everything and anything the bystanders could get their hands on. All their resentment was directed towards the man. And as though cause and effect, the man slowly developed resentment towards humanity.

 

It was a half hour before noon when the prisoner escorts dragged the cart to the execution site. The frail man was pushed down the cart and hauled over to the center of the site. Knocked down onto his knees, the man unwillingly looked up at the presiding judge.

 

“Vile scum, what do you have to say for yourself?” The robed judge spat as he stroked his mustache.

 

The frail man swallowed hard before struggling to say a few words for his innocence. “I-I didn’t do it! I was framed! I swear it with the gods as my witnesses!”

 

PIAK! BOOM! RUMBLE!

 

A flash of light and an echoing explosion appeared out of nowhere as the sky began to darken. A bolt of lightning had struck down on a tree nearby, splitting it in half and creating a fire from within. The judge looked towards the lightning strike with surprise before glaring back at the former saint.

 

“See! Even the gods are angry at your lies. They have sent down their wrath to bear witness to your death. Since you have nothing better to say. Then, prepare the execution!” The judge commanded as he threw out the death token.

 

The growing crowd of bystanders watched as five burly men grabbed the frail saint and tied his limbs and neck with sturdy rope. The ropes were attached to five bulls, each facing a different direction. When everything was prepared, the five men each led a bull towards the direction it’s facing until the ropes that were attached to the frail prisoner became taut.

 

“No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Don’t do this! Please, don’t do this!” The frail saint struggled in vain as he felt his limbs tighten at the joints.

 

The judge looked up at the dissipating clouds surrounding the bright sun and proclaimed. “It’s almost time! Execute him!”

 

“No! No! NO! I curse you! I curse you! I curse you!” The former saint uttered out of panic and resentment.

 

The five executioners whipped the bulls they were assigned to. As the bulls inched forward, the ropes tightened even more so. The frail saint’s body reddened and throbbed, veins at his neck bulged as he tried to breathe.

 

The dead man continued to rant with his final breaths. “I curse you damned heroes! I curse you royal bastards! I curse you all to DEATH!”

 

With the last words uttered, a sickening rip could be heard as the saint’s head detached from his body, his limbs followed soon after. This gruesome death could not satisfy the angry mob of bystanders as they rushed onto the execution stage and hacked at the body pieces with their weapons and their farming tools.

 

After the initial rage died down, the angry mob ransacked the saint’s home as well as the temple he worshiped, labeling it the temple of an evil god. For seven days and seven nights, whatever and wherever the saint held dear, the angry mob of civilians destroyed. Finally, their anger died down and they returned to their normal lives.

 

The former saint’s body was washed away and fed to stray dogs as well as carrion birds. His vengeful soul bounded by the chains of the heavenly laws, forever to walk along the earth till his banishment.

132