Chapter 28 – He Lives
2.2k 4 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After assigning his subordinates different tasks to complete, Moss continued to infect grasses and produce more agents. The swarm of armored monsters have devastated most of the bluegrass, leaving less than a hundred intact. Fortunately, Moss was able to go to the ruined grasses and extract as much DNA as he could.

 

And throughout the night, the virus had experienced quite a few growth changes. Moss opened up his status for a brief overview. He couldn’t help but admire the results he obtained.

Announcement

Name: Moss

Title: Yggdrasil Moss Vore Virus (YMVV)

Host: Bluegrass

Rank: Species

Level: 5

Infection Progress (IP): 70089/90000

STATS:

  • Infectivity – 11
  • Severity – 15
  • Lethality – 10
  • Durability – 8
  • Mana – 6

SKILLS:

  • True Cellular Instability (Active) – causes any cell to become unstable enough for mutations to occur.
  • Pollinate (Active) – fertilizes other plants with infected seeds.
  • DNA Extraction (Active) – extracts DNA from others and absorbs them into Moss’s system.
  • Viral Injection I (Active) – Moss is now capable of injecting DNA into viruses of the same rank.
  • Raise Undead (Active) – Moss can raise dead virus agents into zombie viruses; success depends on Moss’s and dead virus agent’s rank.
  • Heat Wave (Active) – expels a wave of heat that increases the temperature around Moss.
  • Devour (Active) – consumes and absorbs all DNA in the vicinity.
  • Division (Active) – under certain conditions, Moss can split from a part of himself and become two different viruses.
  • Mental Link (Passive) – connects with anything that Moss infects.

SYMPTOMS:

  • Color Change – changes color of infected greenish gold
  • Texture Change – changes texture of infected to mossy-like
  • Necrosis – infected areas display blackened, rotting, and eaten away areas
  • Withering – absorbs all of the moisture in affected area, creating a sort of dry and withered look

RESISTANCES:

  • Cold Resistance – 2.6%
  • Heat Resistance – 4.1%

Moss had acquired a new skill…or rather, he had upgraded an old skill. In the past, his skill <<Cellular Instability>> allowed him the ability to mutate a bluegrass cell in order to produce more agents. However, now, his skill had become <<True Cellular Instability>>, which mean that Moss could affect any cell and still produce agents.

 

He had tried this out on a tomato cell, and it worked very well. With this improved skill, Moss continued to mass produce his army. Suddenly….

 

[Intruders!] A virus agent quickly connected mentally with Moss and reported of a situation at the roots.

 

Moss took over the virus agent’s body and surveyed the damages before him. Nothing. The roots were intact. For a nanosecond, Moss thought that a worm or insect must have chewed through the roots, causing significant damage.

 

The virus agent turned towards a nearby virus agent with a questioning look. [Where are the intruders?]

 

[There!] The virus agent pointed towards a distant location.

 

Moss followed the agent’s direction and saw a wave of unknown fluid crashing down towards them. Upon closer look, he could make out that the wave was made up of thousands of azure faceless knights. Each knight shimmered with brilliance. Aside from their radiant green armor, they each carried a green metal aspis shield and a one-handed ranseur.

 

Moss widened his senses in astonishment at the discipline the opposing party displayed. This would be a difficult battle. Moss quickly opened up communications with Tully, Norm, and the unnamed virus to gather troops and meet him at the roots of the largest tomato patch. It was war!

 

[Agents! Prepare for the first wave!] Moss roared as he cut off communications with his subordinates.

 

The reinforcements won’t be able to make it in time as the sea of azure flooded Moss and his agents’ locations. Moss quickly ordered all nearby agents to form three defensive crescent formations. Like one mind, the agents hurried into position with barely enough time to ready themselves for the enemy charge.

 

The two armies clashed against each other; however, only Moss’s side suffered casualties from the collision. The enemies were well prepared as they struck with their polearms, the tips piercing through the agents’ membranes and shredded their nucleus.

 

Moss saw his agents collapse one after the other, but he could not go over to help as he was busy with an enemy knight as well. After a draw in the power struggle, Moss unleashed <<Heat Wave>> and managed to push the azure knight back.

 

The knight wobbled a couple of steps back before lunging forward with a piercing attack as if heat had no effect on it. Moss quickly sidestepped past the ranseur and maneuvered behind the knight. With one swift motion, the virus agent whipped out his DNA extractor and punched it into the intruder.

 

ERROR!

 

NO DNA EXTRACTED!

 

ERROR!

 

LINK DETECTED!

 

ESTABLISHING CONNECTION…ESTABLISHING COMPLETE!

 

Moss felt his mind wander when he tried to extract any DNA from the enemy. For a brief moment, almost instantaneous, Moss found himself in a dark place. He could feel his body ache and sting with every movement. But that’s not right! He was a virus, how could he feel such pain?

 

No…this was a link. Unlike the mental link Moss had with his agents and subordinates, this was something more…personal. Moss felt this before. This connection was the same as when he was first baptized as a Saint of the God of Life!

 

That can’t be right. I saw him die!  Moss’s thoughts screamed at him, but a sliver of doubt pounded in his soul. No…he did not see the God of Life die with his own eyes. Then, was he alive? Where was he? Ugh!

 

Moss winced at the pain once more. Just who was it that he was connecting with? This was on a new level of personal. Moss looked about as his eyes adjusted to the darkness. He could see the stony walls and floor as well as the metal, barred door. Was he in a prison? Who was in this prison?

 

Moss looked down at his body, examining its every corner. He was clearly in a human body. But whose? Suddenly, the door opened and a middle-aged man entered. The man wore a thick cloak and his features were blocked by the hood. The man approached Moss and grabbed him by the arm.

 

Moss slurred his words as the body he linked up with was too tired to speak properly. “W-Who argh yuu?”

 

“Oh ho? You don’t remember me? Well, no matter. We don’t really need you to remember. All we need from you is this!” The man stabbed a hollow needle into Moss’s arm and caught the dripping blood with a bowl.

 

Moss tried to struggle but he was too weak to put up a fight. All he could do was move about sluggishly. Moss watched as the blood filled up the bowl. He watched with gaping eyes as the needle was removed and his wound healed by itself.

 

The hooded man kicked Moss back and left with the bowl of blood. Moss tumbled to the floor mixing with the chains that held him. As he struggled to sit back up, he saw something at the corner of his eyes. It was a reflection from his chains…his reflection.

 

This! This is…!

 

And then, the link disconnected. Moss shook a bit as he returned. A mixture of emotions flooded him as he sighed deeply. His soul drooped with sadness but his body radiated with anger. The reflection was of someone Moss knew very well.

 

It was the God of Life! He lives!

60