Chapter 34 – Sofia
2k 1 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun was out, washing the lands with its bright and warm embrace. A few white clouds drifted in the blue skies like sailboats on a clear sea. The trees and the grass danced to the nice, cool breezes. It was a perfect day to relax.

 

However, though it was a day to relax, not many were. In fact, in many villages, it was a perfect day to forage through the trees and mountains for wild fruits and vegetables. It was a perfect day to hunt. Men from the villages rushed out early to hunt while the women gathered and foraged.

 

In one particular forest, a young woman in her early twenties was crouching down next to a tree and foraging some tree nuts and wild vegetables. The young woman had hazelnut brown hair and bright eyes. A mirthful grin danced upon her lips as she dug around some deciduous trees.

 

The young woman had searched around for hours and it was nearly noon when she decided to head back home. After looking up at the sun to check on her location, she headed south. In a half hour, she exited the forest. With the village in the far distance, she stopped for a while to recollect herself.

 

Today’s harvest was bountiful. Not only did she find some nuts to roast and snack on, the young woman also found a couple of wild onions and miner’s lettuce. In addition, she was able to harvest up some young cattail shoots and roots. She had enough vegetables to last the next three days.

 

As she rested, her gleaming eyes couldn’t help but search around for any other wild vegetables she could pluck on her way home. Suddenly, she saw a few spots of white half camouflaged by the grass surrounding them. With a trained eye, the young woman knew that she had stumbled upon a treasure trove.

 

The young woman leaped over the lush grass and dove towards the white gold. It was a ring…no, a bed of velvet shank mushrooms! Her family was going to eat well tonight! The young woman giggled delightedly as she reached over and plucked the first handful of mushrooms.

 

She happily harvested as much mushrooms as her basket could carry. Once the basket was filled to the rim, the young woman stood up and patted her knees. She slung the basket over her shoulder and headed home.

 

It was a little bit after noon when she arrived home. After seeing that no one was home, she tried searching for her two older brothers. However, as she checked their rooms upstairs, she noticed that they were out in the garden hanging around by their old pop’s favorite tomato field.

 

The young woman was about to call out to them when she noticed another young man standing next to her two brothers. The young man was around her second eldest brother’s age and sported a light tan. His thick reddish-brown hair gave off a very manly aura. It wasn’t love at first sight, but some interest did spring up.

 

She quickly dashed down the stairs and grabbed her basket of items and bolted out the back door. As she made her way to the tomato field, many questions popped up in her mind. Who was that man? What was he doing here? Why were her brothers at the tomato fields with that man? Who was that man? Why was he so handsome?

 

The young woman’s face burned as she thought of the last question. She shook her head as she rubbed her warm, rosy cheeks. She needed to calm down. She didn’t want to make a fool of herself in front of her brothers or the guest. Soon, she arrived next to her eldest brother.

 

“Dale! What are you doing here? Where’s pa and ma? A-And who’s this?” The young woman asked her eldest brother.

 

Dale turned around and looked at his sister in surprise. “Sis, ya back! Pa’s gun fishin’ and ma’s gun gossipin’ wit the aunties next door. Dis here’s the Farmer Hero. He’s helpin’ us wit the tomato field.”

 

“The Farmer Hero? Wow!” The young woman turned towards Bart and gestured politely. “How do you do? My name is Sofia. Thank you for helping us with our tomato field problem.”

 

Bart glanced at Sofia in surprise. It was rare to see a farmer girl who could speak without a heavy country accent. When Bart blurted out the reason for his surprise, he was blown away by the young woman’s charming smile.

 

Sofia giggled at the Farmer Hero’s response and explained. “I work in the town as a seamstress. Most of my customers have trouble understanding the accent. It was only natural for me to learn to speak normally if I wanted to communicate properly.”

 

“I see. Maybe next time I’ll pay your store a visit for some new clothes.” The Farmer Hero replied.

 

Sofia smiled brightly at Bart’s remark. “Do come! It would be our store’s honor.”

 

Bart and Sofia stared at each other intently and it seemed that some sparks have been ignited. But, before a fire was created, Harvey interjected with a slight cough. He looked at Sofia and asked her what was in her basket.

 

“Oh this! While I was foraging for some wild vegetables today, I managed to find a bed of velvet shanks! We’ll be having creamy mushroom soup and mushroom salad for dinner tonight.” Sofia chirped as she sat the basket down and showed the three men her find.

 

“Creamy mushroom soup? Mah favorite!” Harvey exclaimed as he grinned from ear to ear.

 

Sofia turned towards the Farmer Hero and asked. “Do you want to join us for dinner?”

 

“Yea! Honorable hero, do join us fah dinner. It’s the least we can do.” Harvey supported his sister’s suggestion.

 

“Alright, if you insist.” Bart agreed.

 

***

 

Meanwhile, while Sofia chatted with her brothers and the Farmer Hero, Lichen had connected with Moss. After finding out the situation directly from his master, Lichen quickly persuaded Moss to leave the conquest of the Crimson Verdant Fields to Herb while he and Stein transfer to the mushrooms. Once they landed on the velvet shank, it was but a matter of time before Moss could rise to power once more.

40