Side Story #3.4 – Second Battle: Ambush
1.5k 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The chief-in-command looked over the survivors. Some adventurer regiments returned with no casualties, but some never returned. Some regiments lost one or two members while other regiments lost all except one or two.

 

The man shook his head with disappointment. Just the first wave of enemy attacks caused such a high number of deaths. What would happen to them during the second, third, or even fourth wave of attacks? Luckily, most of the ones who survived were of higher ranks. But even so, in this war, quality and quantity were equally important.

 

The chief-in-command looked at the documents in his hand. While the adventurer regiments were deployed to the nearby villages to stop the invading drakes, he had received news from scouts that the Lord of Fire was planning on duking it out with the king’s army in Raiset’s Valley. That was news he had received an hour ago and getting to Raiset’s Valley would take at least another two hours. He was pressed with time.

 

The man looked at the tired adventurers as his mind whirred and gears turned. Quickly, he reassigned the adventurers into new regiments, reinforcing those with less losses with those with more losses. Soon, the number of regiments decreased by almost half. Once everyone had rested for at least an hour, the chief-in-command ordered everyone to pack up and march towards the final battle.

 

Moss’s regiment received two new additions. They were the only two surviving members of their regiment as well as their party – the Silver Architects. The Silver Architects were a group of C-ranked adventurers who mainly take on quests involving crafting and creating. The reason they joined this expedition was to help repair weaponry and craft potions. Who would have thought that they would suffer such a massive defeat at the start of the expedition?

 

Steven looked at the two newcomers and introduced his regiment. The young newcomer standing at the front of the other youth smiled dryly and introduced himself as Defin. He motioned to his timid companion who stepped up and introduced himself as Cooper. During the introductions, Moss and the others observed their new teammates.

 

Defin was a cold and lanky young man in his early thirties. He wore a black outfit with black leather armor protecting his most important vitals. Dangling at his side were two gauntlets with sharp claws at the end. Closed in his hand was a grimoire of some sort. 

 

Cooper, on the other hand, was different from his squad leader. Although he had a timid personality, his character was overshadowed by the glistening determination burning in his eyes. Cooper was a man who strove to work hard and accomplish many.

 

After the introductions, the two new additions quickly assimilated into the group. Cooper conversed happily with Bart and Hale while Defin wormed his way to Thea’s side. Although he mentioned that he was interested in Thea’s magic, most could see that he was actually interested in her.

 

Soon, the group followed the other regiments as they marched towards the frontlines. Harold had woken from his fainting spell and was mourning silently throughout the length of the trip. Jon and Gavin tried to comfort him, but it seemed that he just needed some time alone. Harold did, however, glanced furtively at Steven from time to time.        

 

***

 

“Alright adventurers! We will be approaching the frontlines in less than an hour! Just past this mountain is where the main battle will take place! Everyone, prepare yourselves! Let’s make haste!” The chief-in-command roared as he urged his warhorse onwards through the mountainous path.

 

Suddenly, a loud and screechy roar erupted from the peak of the mountain. Everyone looked up just in time to see ten B-ranked wyrms descending from the mountaintop. These wyrms were also known as earth dragons – prided for their skills in earth and stone magic.

 

Though they did not have wings and could not fly, they were adept in digging through earth and traveling across the lands. In a matter of seconds, the sixty-foot long wyrms had already descended to the foot of the mountain. The wyrms dove deep into the ground and then…silence.

 

“Positions! Get into your formations!” The chief-in-command roared as he reeled back his warhorse.

 

Various regiment leaders hastily gave out orders to their teammates as they spread out and waited for the wyrms to appear. There was a moment of quietness and then BOOM! All ten wyrms exploded out from the earth, surrounding the regiments. The wyrms blocked any path of escape with their giant bodies.

 

The regiments tried to back away from the wyrms but they were surrounded with no where to go. The chief-in-command sat on his warhorse at the center of his army and roared for tanks to step forward while ranged adventurers tried to whittle down as much damage as they could against the enemies.

 

Clayton and the other tanks from each of the adventurer regiments edged forward with shields raised and adrenaline rushed. Occasionally, the wyrms would take a bite towards the warriors, but their attempts were mostly blocked by the tanks. Some of the unlucky ones were dragged away from the group and devoured instantly.

 

The chief-in-command peered through the dusty clouds stirred by the wyrms as his calculative mind revved furiously. “Think, dammit! Think! What can I do? What can we do?”

 

Suddenly, as if his mind just clicked, he hatched up a short-term plan. The chief-in-command turned towards his men and ordered for all earth mages to cast <<Earthen Spike>> below the wyrms.

 

Dozens of spikes emerged from the ground under the wyrms. Though the spikes did not pierce through the wyrms’ hide, they propelled them high in the air, dispelling their formation and allowing the adventurers a few paths of escape.

 

Those blessed with wind magic rushed out from below the flying wyrms and started flailing at the monsters with many blades of wind. Though the damage was minimal, they did serve to draw the wyrms’ attention towards the wind mages.

 

While the earth dragons rushed towards the retreating wind mages, the chief-in-command immediately ordered all tanks to bash their shields on the monsters. Damage-dealers aimed for the joints and weak spots while fire mages attempted to burn off the scales protecting the wyrms. The chief-in-command ordered the earth mages to divide and quarantine the earth dragons so that the regiments could have an easier time defeating the monsters.

 

Moss’s regiment took on one wyrm a distance away from the main group. Clayton had shepherded the wyrm using a series of <<Stone Wall>> spells and kept the monster in check while Hale, Harold, Carolyn, and Cooper distracted and annoyed the wyrm with damages equivalent to mosquito bites.

 

As the earth dragon raged on, it became more frantic in its movements. It tried to dig underground, but Clayton kept preventing it with timely spells of <<Stone Spike>>. Every time the earth dragon was knocked back to the surface, Joseph would splash the area with water magic allowing Nair to quickly freeze its joints and slow down its reaction speed.

 

While the wyrm tried to warm itself naturally, all of the melee attackers pounced on the monster. The mixture of cold from Nair’s freezing spells with the hot from Adara’s burning spells caused a physical and magical reaction. The once-strong scales of the wyrm were battered and disfigured until they cracked and fell off.

 

Now vulnerable at specific spots, the wyrm felt pain for the first time in its life. The wyrm roared as it tried to escape – panic danced in its eyes and fear dug deep in its heart. Before it could struggle free from its captors’ grasps, regiment leader Steven dove past the flying rocks and debris and plunged his sword into its side.

 

The sword thrust pinpointed a gap revealed by burned off scales. With almost no resistance, the sharp sword punctured deep into the flesh and ruptured a few vital organs. While the monster twisted and turned in pain, Steven held onto his sword and straddled the earth dragon like riding on a bucking horse.

 

Nair continued to slow down the earth dragon’s movements while Clayton continued summoning stone spikes to trap and pin down the monster. While the long-ranged adventurers pelted the wyrm with projectiles, Adara burned off more and more of the monster’s hide, revealing the tender flesh below.

 

The other melee warriors in the regiment followed Steven’s footsteps and drove their weapons into the wyrm’s body, puncturing skin and destroying major organs. With the many internal injuries and failing organs, the wyrm squealed in pain as it drew its last breath. With a loud boom, it collapsed onto the ground, blood pouring out from its many wounds. The melee warriors collapsed on the ground tired while the long-ranged adventurers struggled to catch their breaths.

 

However, Steven roared, scaring their ease away. “What are you idiots doing? Help the other regiments!”

 

The weary adventurers, remembering that they were in the middle of an ambush, leaped to their feet and assessed the situations nearby. Bodies littered everywhere and stained the ground red. Other regiments who had killed their targets have all started helping those still in battle. Fortunately, the battle was pretty much over.

 

Suddenly, a loud roar echoed as a wyrm broke free from its captors and tore through the adventurer ranks. Mists of blood mixed into the air red as pieces of flesh and armor scattered about the ground. Moss’s regiment reacted to the stray wyrm and quickly surrounded it. Clayton pinned down the wyrm while the other warriors slashed and shot away. Meanwhile, Moss and Bri checked on the surviving adventurers and healed as much as they could; however, many had perished.

 

Grimacing at the situation at hand, Bri continued healing the wounded while Moss turned his attention towards the warriors fighting the last wyrm. Moss waved his staff towards the wounded adventurers and casted <<Mass Heal>> and <<Restore Stamina>>.

 

The fatigued adventurers regained lost vitality and with renewed strength, they pressed on. Soon, the wyrm screamed in dying regret and perished under numerous swords and arrows. Once the battle was over, the chief-in-command called everyone over for a quick head count. Though they were quick to defend against the ambush, the casualties were still high.

 

They had lost more than forty adventurers to the battle and they haven’t even reached the frontlines yet. At this rate, they might not have sufficient manpower to reinforce those fighting the main battle. Nevertheless, the chief-in-command ordered everyone to march on. They must reach the destination before sundown. Regardless of the number of surviving reinforcements, any help was much needed help.

 

Moss and his friends tightened their bags around them and carried on. A few hours later, the adventurer regiments arrived at the main base.

8