Side Story #3.5 – Third Battle: Wyvern!
892 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After resting for a night and filling up their stomachs, the chief-in-command brought back news from the headquarters. “The enemies are stationed at these key mountain peaks here, here, here, here, and here. We will be mixed in with the rest of the troops and divided into four divisions. Each division will tackle one of the smaller peaks. After a division defeats a peak, they should go take on the largest peak where the dragon lord resides.”

 

“In the best-case scenario, all four divisions would conquer their peaks and move on to the final peak.” The chief-in-command surveyed his adventurer troops with stern eyes. “In the worst-case scenario, all four divisions are defeated and the dragon lord will conquer and enslave all of humanity. Do you want that to happen to your friends…to your loved ones?”

 

“No!” Many responded with determination flowing in their veins.

 

“Good! Then, rise and fight! My generals will split you into divisions. Some adventurer parties will stay together while others might get separated. Let’s prepare to march in an hour!” The chief-in-command directed after feeling satisfied at the warriors’ enthusiasm.

 

Everyone suited up and fell into positions. As the chief-in-command replied earlier, the generals separated them into different divisions and each party within the divisions to key points of a battle formation. Moss’s party welcomed two new additions – Adrian and Spielberg.

 

After the divisions formed different deployment formations, the chief-in-command ordered their deployment. The troops marched out of their base and headed towards their respective mountain peaks. Moss’s party was situated in the frontlines of their division’s formation, aiming towards one of the smaller peaks. Their division formed a standard line formation which soon changed into a yolk defensive formation as they approached their destination.

 

“Steady!” The general of Moss’s division issued. “We are entering enemy territory. Hold your position and be on guard!”

 

As Moss’s division reached the bottom of the mountain peak, a roar entered their ears as a large shadow flew over their heads. The adventurers looked up at the bipedal monster with dark red and brown colors, sporting two massive leathery wings.

 

“It’s here! Hold your positions! Archers, mages, at the ready! Tanks up front! Get ready on my mark!” The general roared as he drew his longsword.

 

Each party’s archers and mages within the division aimed their sights towards the flying beast and charged up their attacks. Armored adventurers positioned themselves before the healers as the damage dealers drew their weapons at the ready.

 

ROAR!!

 

The wyvern reared its ugly head and dove towards the front of the division. With one fell swoop, the monster rammed its wings into a cluster of adventurers, knocking them back and dispersing them. Hoping towards a healer with its stubby feet, the wyvern bit at one of the exposed healers.

 

“No!” One of the swordsmen in the downed party roared with bloodshot eyes and knocked the healer back, exposing himself to the wyvern’s bite.

 

CRUNCH!

 

Blood spurted out of his mouth as the dead swordsman was dragged into the air. Frightened, the healer grabbed her head and screamed in utter shock.

 

RUSTLE! RUSTLE! RUSTLE!

 

Hale heard the sounds carried by the wind with his sharp ears and turned his head towards the rustling, just in time to see a pack of drakes emerging from the thickets of the forest. Fortunately, he wasn’t the only one who saw them.

 

As soon as he saw the quadrupedal monsters, the division general bellowed and attracted the attention of the adventurers within his vicinity. “Drakes! Incoming!”

 

Without the general’s commands, the experienced warriors gathered up and formed a phalanx line before the charging beasts. Moss’s discerning eyes caught the slight deviation the group of drakes were making as they made their way towards the adventurers. Arrow formation! They actually knew formations?

 

“Stone Walls! Split them apart!” Moss roared as those with some knowledge of earthen magic raised their staves and channeled their magic.

 

Two stone walls rose up like an arrowhead. The drakes reacted to the magic and each half veered to a side. More stone walls emerged at different locations, separating off the drakes one by one until each drake was imprisoned by stone walls.

 

The seasoned warriors quickly made short work of these drakes. Having dealt with their kind earlier, the adventurers knew their weak points and took advantage of them. Meanwhile, other adventurers were busy distracting the wyvern.

 

Screams of pain echoed the battlefield as the wyvern took down more victims. Once the drakes were killed, the adventurers turned their attention back towards the wyvern, who was being bombarded stingingly by physical and magical projections.

 

“Regroup! Regroup!” The division general noticed that the adventurers dealing the drakes had finished.

 

As everyone grouped up around the leader, the division general issued another set of commands. “Ballista Formation! Shielded warriors to the sides, protect the healers and the support! Ranged, block formation…stay back and hold! Melee, form three blocks! Hold your positions!”

 

The adventurers quickly shuffled into place as the wyvern roared intimidatingly. Seeing its enemies amass before it, the wyvern flapped its wings up and dove towards them. But the division general immediately issued the archers and mages to fire. Sharp projectiles bombarded the wyvern with intermittent hits of magic missiles, ice spears, and fire balls.

 

The wyvern reeled back in pain and crashed to the ground. As it struggled to its feet, waves upon waves of warriors charged towards it, dealing swift damage before scrambling out of the way and back to the safety of the main army. However, with each attack, the wyvern gradually learned of the formation’s unique attack pattern and quickly developed a counter.

 

ARGGHH!

 

The first casualty since the formation occurred. The wyvern stepped back to avoid the incoming arrows and swung its tail at a warrior that rushed in too close. The large, whip-like tail smashed into the warrior, shattering bone and knocking him back.

 

The broken bone must have pierced an internal organ as the warrior paled. With a spurt of blood, he collapsed unmoving. The wyvern flashed its green serpentine eyes and reared its head back. Its mouth slightly open as waves of mana swirled inwards.

 

“Breath attack incoming! Shielded warriors, huddle to the front and brace for impact!” The division general knew what was about to happen.

 

Armored and shielded figures rushed towards the frontlines and angled their shields up just as the mana within the wyvern’s mouth hinted a tinge of green. The division general as well as some more experienced warriors gasped in horror at the sight of the green mana. Acid Breath!

 

Before they could warn the shielded warriors up front, the wyvern spewed out greenish globs of lethal acid onto them. Screams of agony followed soon after as the acid burned wood and melted metal. 

 

The sight of one of their comrades dying right in front of them seemed to have dampen their motivation. However, before they could hesitate, the experienced division general brought their senses back to pace.

 

“Don’t let his death scare you off now! Step up or suffer the same fate! It’s now or never! Archers, aim for the eyes! Earth mages, cast Earthen Spikes – aim to impede its movements!” The general roared out instructions.

 

Mages with the respective affinity stepped forward and gathered their mana. Earthen magic began to swirl about as the earth below their feet shook and cracked. With a united roar, the mages raised their hands and unleashed <<Earthen Spike>> spells toward the wyvern.

 

Jagged pillars of earth rose from the ground, some harmlessly breaking apart at the wyvern’s strong hide while others trapped it in its place. Arrows twanged from their bows, traveling speedily towards the wyvern’s eyes and forcing the monster to look away.

 

“Mages, freeze its legs! Warriors, charge in for the kill!” The general decisively ordered for the division’s next step.

 

Almost immediately, frost mages and elementalists cast <<Freeze>>, enveloping the monster with hardened ice. Spearmen and lancers dove in, aiming at the soft underbelly of the monster, while swordsmen and axemen swung their weapons for the kill.

 

The wyvern screamed in pain and frustration. It tried, with all of its might, to break free. However, before it could do so, the general rushed in to behead the monster with his great broadsword.

 

“Victory!” The general roared as everyone cheered.

6