Chapter 3-3: Joining Mecchen House
619 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 - Joining Mecchen House (cont.)

I found it easy to imagine Mami in a mafioso suit with a Glock pointed at my head. Nathan sat beside where Tara was straddling the footstool. She bent over backwards and smiled at him with her face upside down. His nervous demeanor lightened.

Jamie sulked his way back to the end of the couch. Mami crossed her legs and took full advantage of her little fiefdom, at least as far as Miki would allow her.


[Jamie, with Aneko]

Katsumi scribbled on the pad of paper. “We have one yes vote and three no. Ms. Ishida is next. How do you vote, Ms. Ishida?” Her voice took on a soft, almost-childlike tone when talking to Ms. Ishida. It was rather like the tone she used when we first met her (when she thought it was just Ms. Ishida around). But it was even more exaggerated than then. I narrowed my eyes. She was seriously trying to butter her up.

Ms. Ishida used a paper towel on a book cover clouded with dust. She turned and looked at Katsumi.

“I have to go with Miki. It’s nothing personal. I adore you always, Katsumi, and I think you’re very beautiful. As the caretaker of Mecchen House, it’s my job to carry out the will of my family. And I know my mother would never refuse a warm bed to anyone in need, no matter their gender. Remember, this house was almost exclusively a house for men long ago.”

Katsumi shivered like a cold cat. “I know. I’ve had to perform several purification rituals. I was going to ask that girl I know from school who can see spirits to come by tomorrow to finish the process. Then these three show up and complicate the whole thing!”

“Well, you know my answer, Katsumi-chan,” she returned to wiping the book in her hands. Katsumi solemnly put a note on the paper and looked straight ahead at Sumi.

All Katsumi asked was, “Well?”

Sumi rose gracefully and made a few gentle circles around Katsumi, “Well indeed, cupcake. What should I ask for? A little alone time? A pair of your underwear? Or something more?”

She settled with her chin on Katsumi’s shoulder and her arms draped across her chest. “You know what? I’m gonna let you off easy, cutie. I’m gonna give you a 'no' vote for free because your interests and my interest coincide perfectly. As much as I’d love to have them stick around and see what magic you can work, I prefer the genuine article of girl… to play with. Though it’s been said many times, it’s nothing personal. I do find the three of you kinda cute, and I wouldn’t mind terribly if you did wind up staying.” After her little pronouncement, Sumi settled pleasantly back to my side and crossed her legs.

Katsumi looked conflicted but scratched out another mark for her side. Her eyes turned to Tara, who was still looking at Nathan. Nathan looked just as captivated in return. He looked happy.

Katsumi made a soft noise. “Tara. Your vote?”

Tara turned her upside-down head to look at Katsumi and smiled again. She vaulted around in a roll and to her feet in a smooth move.

“I think they’re awesome! We gotta keep them. Please, please, pretty please!” She held her hands together to plead. She bounced back and put an arm around Nathan’s muscular neck. “This one is so sweet. Those bows you put in his hair are so goofy though. Can I take them out and keep them for myself?”

Katsumi formed the words to reply, but each time something kept holding her back. She sighed and, with gentle eyes, gave a little nod to Tara.

With flying hands, she untied the series of bows from Nathan’s hair and wrapped at least one around her finger. She wiggled it like a little dancer.

Katsumi coughed. “What… is… your vote, Tara?” Though it seemed like a formality, given Tara’s tone with us.

Tara looked over with wide eyes. “I vote yes. I want to keep the cuddly one on the end, the big, sweet one here, and the one between Sumi and Ami which is just like you, only quieter.”

WHAT???

Katsumi and I both reacted as though struck by an arrow. First, Ms. Ishida, and now Tara! How could there be anything similar between me and such an impetuous, self-centered, and utterly-annoying girl?

She shook it off and begrudgingly made a mark for our side. I sat there looking at my legs for a moment.

“Last voter. But if Nana doesn’t show in the next few minutes, then this vote will be rendered moot. Ami? How do you vote?”

Ami brushed at her hair. “Excuse me, but I have a few questions. I know you’ve met all the guys. I met the one on the end of the couch earlier… Jamie Harrison, if I recall right. And I met the other two just a few minutes ago. I never got much info about them. Partial names by listening in. Not much. I hope that you and they wouldn’t mind terribly… about indulging me a little in getting to know them better.”

Until this point, everyone had given their family names first. I considered doing the same, but Ami said Jamie’s name the other way, so I decided to go along with it. Just when I finally thought I had the rules of this world figured out too…

I went first, for Ami’s sake. “My name is Kelly Forester. I’m a recently-graduated college student. I’m something of a ronin, you could say.” A few scattered nods showed they understood what I meant, fortunately.

I told them about my freelance work with a programming company. Katsumi turned away. I figured she’d heard about it before when I told Ms. Ishida.

Nathan went next. His vibrant energy was back with the bows gone. “My name is Nathan Gravina. I just graduated too. It’s a joy to meet you all. I received a degree in Women’s Studies after two years of college. That was a year ago. I work at my dad’s gym. I’m a trainer and a manager of the facility. My dad takes care of the finances. I love sports of all sorts, tennis and running especially.”

Katsumi turned back and pursed her lips. She seemed amused. “You may be a boy but at least you’ve studied the right things.” I figured that was what passed for a compliment towards men from Katsumi.

Nathan gave a friendly nod to her and then passed the introduction to Jamie. I had to hear what Jamie would say.

He brushed off his shirt. “Some of you know me. My name’s Jamie Harrison, as she said. I’ll do any job. I’ve been out of college for several years now. I’m very much what Kelly said… Sorta. I’m a ronin adrift with no real, sure identity to call my own. I’m just me, and I’m trying to figure out what that means.”

Then he sat back down on the end of the couch. I never realized Jamie considered himself that much of a ronin, or that it even mattered to him.

Katsumi gave one clap and then looked to Ami. “Happy? Your vote now, please?”

Ami rested her chin on her hand. “They seem really sweet. And they’re really cute. I vote for them to stay. I vote yes.”

Katsumi scoffed. “Typical. I should’ve expected you would go that way.”

“I don’t know why you’re so obsessed with a girls-only place. Boys are people too! And I think we need some cute boys around here. What’s so wrong with that? It’ll certainly add some diversity.” Ami rose and gestured with her arms. Sumi looked bored and feigned a yawn.

Katsumi moved closer to Ami. “Think what you like. The ‘Yes’ is going down to defeat because it’s time for Nana to vote, and she’s not here. So, I formally, conclusively, and vehemently declare that…”

Katsumi’s phone bleated. She stumbled on her words and looked back. She stomped over and opened it.

She turned and sunk to her feet. So much color drained from her face that she looked almost like manga for a second. She stared down at the phone in shock.

She looked at everyone in the room from left to right and announced, “It’s from Nana…”

With a heavy hand, Katsumi held up the text-message that Nana had left on her phone. The font was large and black.

It read, “I VOTE YES.”

15