Chapter 31- The Queen of New York
143 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monday- The Next Evening

Rica didn’t attend school today, and Dan hadn’t spoken to Reyna since her cryptic phone call on Sunday. By seven pm Monday he knew he wouldn’t hear from them for the rest of the evening.

That’s fine.

After checking himself in his new suit, Dan left the safe apartment and attended his charity’s soft opening for donors and parents, alone.

Two Hours Later

“Thank you everyone for attending tonight!” Dan beamed with pride as he delivered a passionate speech in a medium-sized hall for one hundred guests, including his business partner, Rob.

“Good talk, Dan I certainly needed you to say it to everyone,” Rob said, cheering Dan as he exited the stage to the clapping audience.

“Thanks, Rob,” said Dan, almost teary-eyed, “I mean, seriously, thank you. You freaking made all of this happen and I didn’t help you.”

Rob frowned, “Dude, you sent me half-a-million-dollars. And you never told me how you got all that money. What are you a drug dealer?” Rob teased, assuring Dan.

“Uh, yeah...We should rub elbows with these donors,” Dan evaded.

“Yeah I know," said Rob. "In fact, a really pretty lady walked in during your speech. She said she was your top donor.”

Dan stepped back, “What lady? Where is she?”

“Behind you, tough guy,” said a gruff voice.

Dan turned and faced Bad Tara? Oh my!

She stunned him in a short white designer dress and heels. He forgot the first time he met her, and how alluring the wicked tomboy became when she dolled up. Wow, who would ever think you are who you are?

“Hi, Tara. I didn’t expect you tonight,” he said smiling.

“No? But you look happy to see me. Now let’s get a glass of wine, chump!” She interlocked her fingers with his and pulled him close to whisper, “And yeah, your psycho girlfriend ain’t here to protect you, that means you're my date, handsome, heh heh!”

“Heh, yeah um..Tara, this is my business partner, Rob.”

“Nice to meet you, Tara,” said Rob.

“Charmed,” she replied, offering her hand to be kissed.

Rob, a gentleman, kissed her hand and politely asked, “What do you do, Ms. Tara?”

“I’m the Queen of New York, Mr. Rob!” she smiled.

He didn’t flinch, “Always a pleasure meeting Royalty. Well, if you two will excuse me, I need to mingle.” Rob didn’t dawdle and left Dan and Tara alone.

Two Glasses of White Wine, Please.

Dan and Tara strolled to the open bar and spent twenty minutes drinking and mingling with donors. The whole time Tara held Dan's hand. He awkwardly introduced her as his top donor.

“You’re enjoying this aren’t you?” he asked her.

“Yup, loving it!” Tara smiled, pulling him into a corner by the bar. “But I’m afraid I can’t stay long, Dan. Business and stuff, but here’s the deal, I’m gonna take eighteen million off the top of that money you inherited. That'll be my cut for this little fiasco we caused. Most of that cash will funnel through your charity in the form of no show jobs so that I can pay my guys and pay taxes real legitimate, like the patriotic citizen that I am, you dig?” she said while scowling at other women who got too close to him.

Heh, heh, this girl, “So, you’re using my charity to launder your money. That’s why you made that initial fifty thousand dollar donation under Hubert financials or something.”

“Well ain't you a smart ass!” she smirked, “But don’t worry, your charity will see twenty percent of the laundered cash. And I’ll keep the lights on for you while you keep growing that donor list of yours.” She gently tapped his cheeks.

He grinned, “That’s fine. Whatever you need.” He meant it.

“Aww,” she locked eyes with him, “You know I had a pretty boy like you once. He was smart, but silly at the same time, just like you. Hell, I didn’t know why he did the things he did for me, but I loved him for it. And in the end, I was happy he did them.”

Dan understood. However. “What do you mean, in the end?”

“Aaaah, in the end, he got his pretty ass murdered. Yeah, he was a bad boy. Such is life~” she said, masking sorrow in her voice.

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Nah, I’m over it. Either way, I came here to show you some support as uh, I think your Rifle Girls may fly under the radar for a day or two. I dunno, they do spooky shit like that.” She shifted her slim legs in her heels.

“That’s understandable.”

“Yeah, and listen cutie.” She took both of his hands, “You’re gonna go ahead and step down from all of this gangster stuff. Me and Kitty will take over the club and the rest of Frank’s assets. So you’ll just sign em over to us, you got a problem with that?”

“None at all I- mm!”

Tara kissed him, in the corner by the bar. A few people glanced over as he tried to pull away. But she held him just a moment longer, before releasing him.

“H-Hey, what was that about?” he whispered.

“Heh, heh. I told you, you remind me of a pretty boy I knew once. I reckon I just got jealous of Reyna kissing you all the time so I stole one from you.”

Dan blushed, “You didn’t have to steal it.”

Tara beamed, “Oh no? Well, thank you, playboy. I’m glad a girl like me can get on your radar. I just thought you liked those extra girly-girls like Reyna and underaged Rica, hmph!” she pouted.

Eh! “Tara, I-”

“I’m messin with you, Dan. And let me ask you something. You got some Asian in you. I mean your eyes.”

Dan smiled at her, and in a heavily accented Cantonese, he answered “<My mother is from Hong Kong. My father is Italian American.>”

“<What?>” she yelped, “<I knew you were a halfy! That’s why you’re so pretty. But your Cantonese is terrible!>”

“Well, I-”

“<Hai-ya, if you were my boy I’d teach you Cantonese, in more ways than one, hee!>”

His eyes widened as he looked away, “Um, I understood that-”

“Haha, I know ya did ya square!” she laughed, still holding Dan’s hand.

One of Tara’s bodyguards pointed at his wrist, indicating the time. Tara nodded at him, “Dan, you know I’m a busy woman, so my lawyer’s gonna call your lawyer. They’ll handle the details, so,” She squeezed his hand, “You take care, pretty boy. And good luck with everything.”

He smiled, “Thanks Tara, I-”

“And one last thing,” she yanked him close, placing her lips on his cheeks, “You see that bitch Reyna you make sure you tell her how my kiss tasted like candy! And you make sure you tell her how much you liked it,” she whispered, biting his ear. Marking him with her lipstick. “You hear me?”

Dan sighed, “You know, a week ago that would’ve been weird to me. But today.” He shook his head, “Today I have twenty million dollars, my charity is up, and no one is trying to kill me. So yeah, I hear you, and I will tell her.”

“Eh?” Tara smiled ear to ear, “Listen to you talking like a wiseguy. I love it. And you did good, Dan.” Her guards surrounded her as she walked away from him with a last burst of Cantonese, “<But be careful, handsome. If I get too lonely I’ll make you my baby daddy! Hai-ya!>”

Ah! This girl. Dan smiled with a nod. He had no answer as he watched Tara and her goons stroll to the exit. Not two seconds later Dan’s partner, Rob, appeared in front of him.

“Danny, who is Tara, and does she have a sister?” Rob asked, teasing Dan.

Dan smirked, “Tara is the woman responsible for getting our charity off the ground. And yes she has a smoking hot sister, but better you don’t meet her.”

“Why not-”

“Trust me, Rob. You don’t want to get involved with a girl like Tara or her sister, or any of her friends.”

“Heh,” Rob chuckled, “That bad, huh?”

“Bad?” said Dan as he watched Tara turn and wink at him before exiting the building, “Bro, there are no words to describe what those girls are.”  No words at all...

Bad Tara in evening dress_ illustrated by Cinnamon Sao

 

 

 

 

5