Legacy World 1.5
596 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another 4 months passed. 

Zhang Yong has been coming to the Chen's estate each month. It would always be some day within the last week of the month. He would chat with Hui Shan at the well-maintained gazebo before dropping by Xinyi's courtyard unannounced. Their sparring has never lasted for more than half an hour before he would stop abruptly as if satisfied with something then take his leave.

People began to notice that Zhang Yong would disappear for awhile in their estate. The length of time was perfect for a short dalliance with a woman so they assumed that it was so and never paid anymore attention to it. 

In this culture, it was normal for men to have dalliances with women from the low status and to have several concubines. The more wealthy and powerful one was, the bigger his harem could grow. Only women of status were expected to stay faithful to their husband and maintain their virtue and chastity till marriage. 

Moreover, nobody felt that there was any cause for concern since he obviously valued Hui Shan more than the lowly woman. Zhang Yong would spend up to two hours with Hui Shan chatting, playing chess, and listening to her playing the guqin. This assured them that the precious mistress of the household has not been disrespected.

Once again, Xinyi's power of being a neglected side character was at work. Everyone easily forgot that he actually has been finding another concubine's daughter and not some maid for sexual favours.

BaoBao had already let his guard down by the third month. Nobody came looking for trouble as Xinyi had predicted. BaoBao felt that she had simply been paranoid and pessimistic. However, he had the decency to never talk about Zhang Yong's promising interest in her again.

Xinyi has recently learnt to cultivate without the need to be in a meditative state. She subconsciously continued to circulate the energy within her while taking in a slow and currently still unsteady trickle of energy from around her. She felt that she was less easily tired and believed that it could aid in her stamina during fights but it was still early for her to test that out. Thanks to her hardwork in cultivation and monthly sparring, she has also risen to mid level Sky realm by the end of the fourth month.

Everything seemed to be going really smoothly, including today's experiment. It was the last day of her experiment. Her herbs have all grown. 

BaoBao could see and feel her unspoken excitement. Her martial arts morning practice was done with more vigour than usual. When the sun brightened uo the day, she began to harvest the herbs. She split the herb from each pot into two bundles. This totalled to 12 bundles. 6 bundles will be stir fried. The other 6 will be boiled in soup. 

She brought everything to the stove she had built for herself near the well. BaoBao looked at her washing and prepping the herbs for cooking. "There is only 1 pan and 1 pot. How long is this going to take?" 

"It's the soup that would take time. Probably around 180 minutes in total." 

BaoBao's jaw dropped. "Can't we just steal more pots?" 

"If we take too many at once, someone will notice and think that there is a thief, instigating a search. Besides, I have no need for that many pots after I'm done with this, then I'd have to return it again. Too much trouble. I'd rather be patient."

When she was done with the 6 stir fried dishes, she was only done with 2 of the soup dishes. She began her testing of the effects.

She took a bite of the herb that was directly nourished with her spiritual power once a week and closed her eyes to pay full attention to any sensations brought about by the herb. The only thing she felt was that it was delicious. She ate this herb before so she knew that the taste has been enhanced and made easier to enjoy than its unmodified state. 

Next was the herb that was directly nourished three times a week. It was considerably more delicious. It did not feel like she was eating some bitter herb anymore. The taste also energised her.

She moved on to the herb that was directly nourished everyday. She opened her eyes wide in astonishment. Its taste could be passed off as some rich ingredient used for making delicacies. 

"What is it? What is it? Is it really useful?" 

"More than useful... I'd say it's great for comfort." She picked up a piece for him to try. 

BaoBao took a bite and it was like his face melted. He reveled in the exquisite taste. "Doesn't this mean that anyone can become a star chef already?!" 

"Perhaps they'd compete in the plating if everyone found out about this." Xinyi mused. 

Xinyi moved on to try the herb that was indirectly nourished through the soil once a week. The taste was only slightly improved but the distinguishing feature was that it felt slightly refreshing. Xinyi's eyes lit up. This was the effect that she had hoped for. However, the effect was almost unnoticeable and temporary. 

She quickly moved on to the next one and the next. The herb nourished everyday was the most refreshing and rejuvenating but not as intense as she had hoped. 

"No good?" BaoBao voiced out her thoughts. 

"There's still more to go." Xinyi took a spoonful of soup and tasted them methodologically like she did for all the stir fried dishes, in the same order. 

The ones that were nourished directly had the same effect as the stir fried ones, they were energising and delicious. Now she had to wait for those that were nourished indirectly. Just she put in the second last batch to be boiled into soup, BaoBao alerted her. "He's coming!" 

Xinyi instructed BaoBao to look after the stove while she sparred with Zhang Yong. 

Although she had not cultivated to recover her spiritual power after her morning exercise because of her experiment, she had been eating spiritually enhanced food. That itself helped her recover some of her spiritual power, coupled with her continuous subconscious cultivation. 

She reached the door step of her room in time when he arrived at her courtyard. She pretended that she had just exited the room. Is he really not worried that he'll catch me at the wrong time? This story is really to his convenience, he never comes when I'm having my bath.

After going through the same procedure for the past four months, she felt no need for any formality and jumped at him to try land a hit on him before he could assume his defensive stance. He smirked and blocked it easily. However, she was expecting her attack to be blocked. She swung her other arm at his blind spot from the bottom, then followed through with a kick at an angle that would be hard for him to defend. She made each move and planned the next one with the expectation that every one of them would be blocked. Her goal for now would be to last as long as possible.

Zhang Yong found himself unable to put his guard down at all. He was very satisfied with how much she have improved from months before. When they first sparred, she could not last more than 5 hits. Now, if she was not careless, she would be able to last around 30 hits. He had to put in more effort to strike out at her vital points because he had to find time between her attacks to do so. She made her attack her defense while minimising the areas that would be left open in every move. When he wanted to end the fight after 30 minutes was up, he realised that it was not as easy anymore. Her attacks did not become sluggish like in their previous matches. It took awhile before he finally struck out at her vital point and resumed a relaxed stance to signify the end of the match. 

He noted how she was not panting as hard as she did in the past either and how she stood with her back straight. Pride swelled in his heart as he took in her appearance. 

She was wearing a simple but elegant white robe, her hair in a simple updo, and she had very light makeup on. He could see that her natural beauty was actually noteworthy, even if not the best. 

Xinyi held onto his intense gaze calmly as he approached her. He only stopped when he was a a foot away from her.

"You've become stronger." It was a statement, not a question. His tone was incredibly gentle but proud. 

BaoBao has been covering his mouth and suppressing the scream that threatened to spill out. This scene is just overwhelmingly lovey dovey~ If only Xinyi could see this from my eyes~ BaoBao thought to himself. 

"Mm. I made the right choice to come today. My trip's not wasted." Zhang Yong seemed to be affirming the decision he made earlier.

"What?" 

"Although Hui Shan's not in today, I still I came here for you. Feel honoured yet?" He lightly teased her. 

"I think it's better if you stop coming. Thank you for everything you've taught me." 

Her sudden declaration shocked him to the core. Nobody, especially women, has given such an outright rejection to him before.

"What? Is it wrong for me to come after all?" 

"Isn't your love Hui Shan meimei?" Xinyi asked a matter of factly. Zhang Yong's eyes grew wide in shock. Everyone knew by now that the prince Wang Wei wanted to take Hui Shan as his intended and recognised him as a loyal backer of the couple. Everybody felt that his recent frequent visits were simply friendly. How did she know? 

"Please keep your attention on her then and don't bring me trouble by doing things like today." Zhang Yong finally understood her meaning. It had slipped his mind that all eyes were always on him no matter where he would go. With his behaviour today, what would people think? He honestly would not bother, but he was only concerned now because he thought of Xinyi as someone who did not like a lot of attention on her. 

"I see. I have to apologise for my error. I will take my leave now." He looked guilty and apologised sincerely. 

Xinyi saw him off at the entrance to her courtyard. Just as she took a few steps towards the back of her courtyard to return to her experiment and to BaoBao's side, BaoBao suddenly warned her of another person's arrival telepathically. 

"Er Jie? How have you been doing so far?" A sweet voice that sounded like bells was heard. 

Zi Yao walked up to Xinyi, who had already turned around to face her, and held onto her arm like they were really close sisters and friends. Xinyi looked silently at her arm being held and could tell where this was going. "I've been doing fine. Thank you for your concern." 

"I really missed you." 

"It's been some time since we last hung out." Xinyi put on a light smile and skillfully avoided saying sweet-nothings back to Zi Yao. She was fine with making herself humble but she would not act all loving and chummy with someone. 

Ziyao decided to take things slow and did not bring up Zhang Yong at all in her small talk with Xinyi at the stone table. Suddenly, a smell from the back of the courtyard caught Ziyao's attention. 

"Is there..." Zi Yao took another whiff. 

"Something cooking at the back?" Ziyao asked in surprise. 

"Just a little past time I have." 

"Oh?" Zi Yao excitedly walked towards the back of the courtyard without waiting for Xinyi to bring her there. When she turned around the corner, she was met with an unattended stove. "Is it done?" 

"Yes, I was just about to take the pot off the stove." BaoBao had been about to take the final pot off the stove when Zi Yao reached the corner that was blocking him from her sight, so he could only leave the pot on and disappear. Xinyi proceeded on to pour the soup out into a bowl then place it beside the other bowls.

"Can I try it?" Zi Yao looked at the bowls of soup in anticipation.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. My cooking will only sully your taste buds." Zi Yao looked at Xinyi's gentle smiling face. She suddenly felt the temptation to rip that smile off her face. She always behaved so cordially but Zi Yao is starting to realise that she has not been getting anything that she wanted from this woman.

"I see. What a pity. Well, the smell made me feel hungry so I'll make a move first to grab a bite. I'll see you another day." Zi Yao replied amiably.

Xinyi saw her second guest out of her courtyard. What a busy day it is today. 

"Are we really not going to see Zhang Yong anymore?" BaoBao appeared by her side to sulk a little.

"What? Did you become his lover?" Xinyi looked at him and teased with an eyebrow raised.

BaoBao crossed his arms, puffed his cheeks, and humphed.

Xinyi laughed lightly and ruffled his hair then walked off to resume her taste-testing.

14