BaoBao’s Origin 2
607 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luna waited for BaoBao to send her to the next world, however he continued talking.

"Before I send you to the next world, there is a new function that the administrators opened up for us!" BaoBao said cheerfully.

"Already? Looks like they're very generous when it comes to rewarding and encouraging good results." Luna commented.

You don't understand Luna, you're getting the short end of the stick here... Normally hosts would have all these functions available to them from the start~ BaoBao wailed to himself.

Luna raised an eyebrow upon seeing BaoBao's aggrieved look. What's he thinking about this time? 

When BaoBao did not say anything in response, she realised that it was another one of those moments when he did not seem to know her thoughts. So she voiced her suspicion. "BaoBao, it is possible to disconnect our thoughts, isn't it?"

BaoBao froze. Luna was asking it casually but BaoBao took it as a threat. 

Before he bound with her spirit, he had heard from other systems' experiences that this was the most useless function systems had. There was not one host to date that has used this function yet. "Ye- Yes... I didn't think that you would mind it. Do you want to keep it disconnected after all?" BaoBao replied timidly.

Luna shook her head. "No need. It's quite convenient for you to immediately know anything I need."

BaoBao looked at her with astonishment.

Luna cocked her head when she saw his expression. "Am I wrong?"

BaoBao thought back to his crucial mistake of becoming smug and disconnecting their thoughts in the midst of the battle. "No, no. It really is useful... It's just... you're an outlier." BaoBao replied in a breathless voice. 

He felt pretty good that he had not gotten Luna's character wrong. He was right at the start about her not minding it. His worry that stemmed from data about the history of all hosts was needless in the end. 

"So what's the new function?" Luna prompted BaoBao.  

"Ah! The library resource has been made available for us!" 

"A library?"

"Yes! There are two kinds of books in the library. The world books and the books of knowledge. The world books are chosen at random and is the next world you'd be entering. The book allows you to read the entire story before sending you in whenever you're ready. The books for knowledge are in case you need to brush up a certain kind of knowledge first before entering the world."

While Luna pondered over its use, BaoBao was secretly lamenting to himself. Although he sounded cheerful, he was not entirely happy because the most important and useful thing for Luna was still not made available. Giving the world book to someone like Luna who has the perception talent... How useful can that be?!

As BaoBao was absorbed into his thoughts, he did not notice Luna nodding as she thought about the uses the world book could have for her. 

"BaoBao, let's pick a world now then."

BaoBao input the request to be assigned a world and a dark red book with gold trimmings soon appeared in front of Luna.

"A book?"

"What did you think?" BaoBao cocked his head.

"I had thought you only called it a library to refer to it as some collection of knowledge. Just a term for the ease of reference."

"It actually is."

"Why don't you send all the information into my brain like you usually do?"

"That's different. Those are the memories of the original soul which is triggered by intensely stimulating various parts of the brain. That's why you get an intense headache together with the information."

"You can't input new information into the brain?"

"No."

"So... you can do all these..." Luna gestured to all of herself and all around her then continued "But you can't do something like inserting information into brains?"

"To be precise, we can create false information in the brain but that is tedious and takes time. It's a whole different matter as compared to the creation of all these." BaoBao copied her earlier gestures. He proceeded on to explain the finer details to Luna since she seemed interested to know. 

Luna felt like she could only barely grasp onto everything that BaoBao was sharing with her. There were a lot of technical jargon and knowledge that she was not familiar with. However, she did understand one thing. "So... The way we, hosts, are made are just different from you systems. So you cannot share information with us like you do with each other. Although it's possible to input memories and new information into our souls, it's akin to learning it ourselves?" Luna concluded. 

BaoBao nodded.

"Are you sure you're allowed to share all these with me? Sounds like valuable knowledge." Luna asked. She was worried that BaoBao who looked so young would make a careless mistake and end up harming himself.

"Yes I can. The administrators doesn't mind systems sharing information about us because you wouldn't be able to do anything with that knowledge anyway."

"...Sounds displeasing but it's true. To make those theories work, the methods has to be possible and only entities like you have the abilities to make it possible." Luna thought about it seriously.

"Still, from what I know, you're the first who bothered to ask. No one really bothered about the details after taking us as god-like figures." BaoBao shrugged.

"Probably a force of habit. I'm used to knowing things." Luna shrugged a little as well.

"Besides, having it come in the form of a book, doesn't it look and feel nice and authentic?" BaoBao asked with a smile.

Luna touched the velvety cover of the book floating in front of her. "I admit, it does have a nice feel to it." 

She looked at the gold stitching on the cover of the book. The love of a phoenix... Interesting title.

She opened it up and read the book.

 

The humans of this world are shapeshifters. They can change into various different kinds of animals, including mystical beings. Over the years, people segregated themselves and lived in places that matched what they changed into. People who change into creatures that could live on land and in water would live in coastal villages. People who change into forest creatures live in forested areas. People who change into animals that can survive harsh territories live around the mountains or the desert. The people who were born as mystical beings were uncommon. They could choose to leave the villages and live in solitary which is made possible by their strength.

The story centers around a girl named FengJiao who was born as a golden phoenix shapeshifter. She will find love with MengYao who was born as a dark phoenix shapeshifter. Feng Jiao lived in a village at the borders of a forest that ends at the foot of a mountain. She was friendly, strong, and righteous. All the people in the village loved her and worships her family for producing a strong protector for the village. It was common for the strong to bully the weak but Feng Jiao did not tolerate such things.

She got injured fighting a basilisk shapeshifter that lived in the mountains. As that was the basilisk home ground and it has been preying on weaker ones for a long time, FengJiao lost due to the lack of experience. She was found hiding in a corner cave of a mountain by LongFei, a dragon shapeshifter, when he was flying around. He was drawn by her beauty and eventually fell in love with her kindness. The village took them as a celestial pairing but Feng Jiao never showed any interest in him. She did not fancy his rude and high-handed way of speaking and handling matters.

She would meet MengYao on the day he attacks her village. He easily overpowered her as he grew up fighting. She only managed to defend the village thanks to LongFei's help. MengYao was severely injured this time and was saved by FengJiao who took pity on a fellow phoenix. MengYao's cold and dark personality clashed a lot with FengJiao's personality but she never stopped forgiving him because she felt sad for him, especially when Feng Jiao found out his reason for hating the weaker folk.

When he was born, the people in his village grew jealous and afraid of his power. They did not want to be ruled by a strong individual and wished to continue living freely. It was common for those born as mystical beings to act almighty. So they schemed against his family and caused their death, leaving him as the sole survivor by luck. A young nine-tailed fox shapeshifter, FenFang, was playing in the forest and came across the young him. Once he recovered, he went to exact revenge on the village and burnt it down with his black flames. He did the same for FenFang when he found out that she suffered the same fate as him. This made FenFang fall in love with him. He entered a collaborative relationship with FenFang to destroy the weak but FenFang viewed the relationship between them as something more.

FengJiao helped him interact with her village to let him experience kindness from villagers for the first time. Her actions eventually touched him and made him fall in love with her. FenFang has been receiving news about the development of the relationship between the lead couple from her most loyal but weak follower by making use of her unassuming white rabbit form. Using the intel gathered, FenFang would send her stronger followers to trouble the village which would inadvertently be troubling for FengJiao. However, they would always be defeated by FengJiao or LongFei. Eventually, when FenFang told her most loyal follower to poison FengJiao, she was found out by MengYao. At this point, MengYao was finally dedicated to protecting FengJiao and her village so he killed the both of them in the most painful way possible.

The only side characters that appeared in this book are FenFang's lackeys. I wonder which would I be...?

"Hopefully someone who doesn't suffer a very painful fate..." BaoBao sincerely replied to her musing. He would prefer not to watch her suffer while he remained completely helpless by her side.

Luna glanced at BaoBao's solemn expression then looked back at the book with a soft smile. "I hope so too but no matter what I get, I shall take it in my stride. I'll be relying on your assistance from time to time again BaoBao."

BaoBao's eyes sparkled as he perked back up. "Ready anytime! Is there anything you want to read up on first?"

"Unless there are books on the history of this world, I don't think there is anything much to read up on first."

"Unfortunately, there is really none. Ready to go then?"

Luna nodded. 

BaoBao gave her a friendly reminder about the pain before she got knocked out cold.

14