Legacy World 3.17
405 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was slightly past noon when LongFei returned. He hovered above BaiXue frowning. "Why are you here?"

BaiXue ignored him to stay focused on her cultivation. She could feel that it still has the same effect of increasing her power. She felt like she could understand why LongFei's ancestor who already had the crown would feel so unsettled.

LongFei sighed. "You better rest up for a fierce fight. That nine tailed fox is no challenge for me but it is different for you."

BaiXue opened her eyes in surprise. "How did you know that she was a nine tailed fox?"

"Nine tailed foxes specialise in magic instead of combat. I made a guess when I saw the standard of magic she had cast over an entire village."

"How do you know? I don't see any records detailing such useful information."

"They're all passed down knowledge."

"You've been talking about knowledge passed down through generations. But aren't mystical beings born by chance and rare?"

"That's only mystical beings born from normal or mixed couples. If a mystical being couple with another mystical being, they are sure to give birth to a mystical being too. So other pure families should have the same knowledge as me."

"Interesting... So what is the situation like at FenFang's dwelling?"

"There were countless dead bodies littered all around her dwelling. However, the wounds on most of their bodies seemed to be inflicted by their own kind instead of a nine tailed fox. My guess is that she used her illusory magic and enchantments to fight so is hardly injured. But she is likely worn out after using a lot of magic. So if you rest and recover fast enough, you would be able to catch her during her down time."

"I'll have to get stronger as well."

"The herb I used for you is the strongest and of the best quality. Your speed of recovery will be hastened. Be patient."

BaiXue kept quiet. She had been hoping that it was because of her transformation and cultivation that made her body more hardy like in the previous world.

"Your body isn't as weak anymore. Your wounds will heal fast." LongFei continued to urge her.

BaiXue obediently changed back into her human form so LongFei did so as well.

"What am I supposed to do then?" BaiXue asked.

"Sleep. Go." LongFei told her while he took the jar of salve he has prepared for her off the shelf in the kitchen. They entered the room together then he helped her clean up the messed up salve before re-applying a new layer.

This time LongFei was able to do so without having any stray thoughts. He felt as if it was easier to control his thoughts after being aware of his attraction to her.

He gave her a peach to eat before tucking her in bed again. She laid on her uninjured side and closed her eyes. However, she knew that it was going to be hard to doze off. This would be the first time she has ever napped in all her lifetimes.

LongFei noticed how her breathing was still strong and steady. He guessed that it was probably hard for someone as obsessively hardworking as her to take a break. He reached out and started stroking her head gently.

BaiXue turned even stiffer than she already was.

"It's hard for you to rest, isn't it? Relax. Slow down your breathing."

BaiXue decided to try out his suggestions because he sounded like he knew how she was feeling. Under his guidance, she really started dozing off into sleep. Once he saw that her breathing became soft and steady, he left her side to start preparing dinner.

 

For the next two days, LongFei took great care of BaiXue to BaoBao's satisfaction. If not for the promise that her healing rate would be maximised, she would not have obediently accepted being waited on hand and foot like she was bedridden. 

LongFei would keep BaiXue occupied by sharing with her whatever he knew about nine-tailed foxes' skills. Their combat ability may be low but they were highly skilled in illusions, charm, and seduction. Their tails could extend longer and be used as extra limbs. Essentially, they won by trickery and schemes. 

Besides being fed with information and food, she would be forced to nap for the rest of the day. She still experienced difficulty falling asleep for her naps but LongFei would patiently sit by her bedside and stroke her head until she fell asleep. Eventually it became such that it was able to calm her. It gave her a sensation to focus on and the slow speed of it with its gentleness would work like a lullaby putting her to sleep. 

By the night of the second day, she noticed when she was bathing that her smaller wounds were all healed and the deep wound on her side has completely scabbed over.

How amazing. This is the fastest recovery speed I've ever experienced. 

After sleeping so much for the past two days, she made the decision to spend the night cultivating then looking for FenFang before dawn broke. When she conveyed her plan to LongFei, he supported her.

"Now I just need her location..." BaiXue wondered to herself.

"I know where she is. I've been tracking her since yesterday." LongFei said.

"You have?"

LongFei nodded. "She was hanging around FengJiao's village but seeing how FengJiao has not blown the whistle I gave her and seeing how calm the village still is, I don't think anything happened."

BaiXue raised an eyebrow. He sounds so nonchalant about it. "Aren't you worried?"

LongFei blinked in surprise. "Of course I am. You should already know that if I could choose, I'd rather kill her off for you."

For me? BaiXue got confused for a moment until she realised in the next moment that he has likely misunderstood her question. "I was referring to FengJiao."

LongFei's eyes widened slightly. He realised that he had not thought of FengJiao for a while. However, he believed that FengJiao would be fine. At least she was a mystical being. In his opinion, although BaiXue have achieved greater feats than FengJiao did, her nature was still weaker than FengJiao's and that made him worry more about BaiXue. 

"She will be fine." He said dismissively.

He's so confident in FengJiao. A pity that led to his lack in proactiveness thus losing out to the male lead. BaiXue concluded in her head.

BaoBao immediately checked with the story in his database and realised that LongFei was significant in the story but really only contributed during times FengJiao needed help. MengYao made a greater impact in her life in that sense. 

How interesting!

Got more data on human emotions? 

Yes! Ideally, LongFei is really helping her grow yet she chose someone else to be with. How illogical! BaoBao said chirpily.

BaoBao took this chance to hold a discussion with BaiXue. He could not understand how and why different actions that resulted from the same feelings would be valued differently. LongFei did not find her lack of reply strange and simply continued to eat with her in silence.

Ever since her declaration about her next course of action, LongFei seemed to stick even more closely to her. He stayed outside right by her in the backyard and watched her cultivate. His heart seemed increasingly unsettled as the time to confront FenFang drew closer. Another thing that caused him discomfort was the simultaneous increasing nagging feeling that he had to pay a visit to FengJiao's village. 

On the other hand, BaiXue was absolutely focused on her task at hand. She did not pay much attention to his actions and cultivated as much as she could before they took off. 

 

It was a starless night and the moon was hidden behind the clouds. The sun would be rising in a little more than an hour. 

LongFei was hovering above where FenFang was. He was patiently waiting for BaiXue's instructions who seemed deep in thought at the moment.

Staying in such an obvious place... ... ... BaoBao, what's the probability that FengJiao has been poisoned already?

According to the book, there is a 100% chance that she is poisoned by now. You'd have poisoned her yesterday or the day before that. But this time, you aren't involved... Based on the effect you have on the plot thus far in this and the previous worlds, there is still a high chance that FengJiao has been poisoned. 

... And the fault will still somehow be on me. I need to be wary. Especially since being with FenFang may be the trigger for the story to progress on.

I agree.

"LongFei, after you let me down, come back up here where you have the bird's eye view of everything."

"No." LongFei said adamantly. 

"I'll be fine even if you aren't close by."

"Not keeping you in sight is already a strain for me. Much less... being that far from you..." LongFei admitted in a strained voice. He felt like he was fighting against every fiber of his being that burned with the desire to take her far away from this place. His guts were telling him that this would not end well.

"... LongFei. There's a high chance MengYao will cause trouble for me. I need you up here to be on the lookout." BaiXue would definitely not take her chances with LongFei interfering in her fight for whatever reason but she wanted to get any leeway and help she could get since she was about to go against the plot, so she judged that placing him this distance away from her would be the best decision.

"MengYao?"

"The black phoenix."

"...You sound familiar with each other. You even have his flute. Why would he cause trouble for you?" LongFei said gruffly.

The thought about her being close to and familiar with MengYao felt really weird to BaiXue. "... We're not actually close or familiar. The flute's just a means of communication." Wait, why am I even explaining myself to him? 

Just as she considered giving up on getting LongFei's cooperation, he resolutely said, "I'll keep him away then."

Oh? That's it? BaiXue hid her surprise with his response while he slowly brought her down to the ground. 

BaiXue was deposited a distance away from the random small hut that was built out of nowhere. Everything about the hut screamed out that it was a trap. 

Humph! The male lead really underestimates you. 

Well, he would be right that the original soul would likely fall for it.

BaiXue took sure and calm steps towards the hut while LongFei did as he promised and returned up to the sky. 

BaiXue approached the window and looked in the hut to find FenFang calmly sipping tea at the only table in the dimly lit room. She put the cup down then looked straight at BaiXue. BaiXue was not surprised that FenFang knew about her arrival. She had already guessed that FenFang would probably put an enchantment around the hut. 

While BaiXue was cautiously climbing into the hut while looking out for any traps and signs of attack, FenFang asked in a soft solemn voice, "I've been waiting for you. You're here to take my life, aren't you?"

"... No."

"I'm already aware of all of your lies. The length of time taken to travel across the mountains and that you were the mastermind behind the raid on my dwelling."

"You're really calm about it."

"It's probably for revenge, isn't it? A victim of the raid on your home village?"

"That's right."

"Humph... So this is what it means to nourish a snake in one's bosom. To think I was starting to like and trust you..." 

The original soul did too... "Enough about me. You're held captive here by MengYao, aren't you?"

FenFang's body visibly stiffened. 

"You were trying to keep me here, weren't you?"

"..."

"How sad. For all the years of adoration, he only made you a bait in the end. Is he perhaps on the way now?" BaiXue walked towards FenFang while carelessly waving her black flute in her hand to indicate that she knew how FenFang alerted MengYao.

"..."

Upon reaching the table, she smashed the flute to smithereens onto the table. "We have no time to waste then."

14