Legacy World 3.20
454 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The impact of BaiXue's jump created a crater on the ground and she flew high up above FenFang. Whereas LongFei immediately flew to keep himself between MengYao and BaiXue while firing out the largest fire he could manage.

While high up in the sky, BaiXue saw how LongFei's flames were now more than twice the size of MengYao. Just as she started sinking down, she saw how MengYao was nowhere to be seen after LongFei's flames dispersed. A loud phoenix cry was heard and a big black ball of flames exploded outwards from within MengYao. He then zipped to and fro different locations to dodge LongFei's attacks. The entire area was soon truly blazing with LongFei's fire.

Their powers are increasing significantly! We're reaching the end! BaiXue could tell that this was the climax and end of it all. She made her body as streamlined as possible to dive down as fast as possible. 

A sudden burst of speed made MengYao go so fast that it looked like he teleported and he finally appeared by BaiXue's side just as she spun in air to land on her hind legs. LongFei spat out even stronger flames to force MengYao to take a detour, then speedily positioned himself between MengYao and BaiXue once again to use his tail to generate wind strong enough to throw MengYao down into the trees. This time MengYao was driven deeper into the ground as compared to before.

Splat!!

The sound of a body being squashed has never sounded as pleasant to LongFei and BaiXue as it did right now.

The moment LongFei heard the sound of FenFang's death by BaiXue's stomp, he urgently and gladly rushed to her. However, just as he was about to reach her, a loud explosion was heard. Every plant and fauna flew everywhere along with the dirt from the ground and a pillar of black flames shot towards BaiXue again. LongFei was right in the line of fire and simply swished his tail once again. This time the wind generated carried his harshness and did not only reflect everything back but traveled fast enough to slice anything in it's path.

On the other hand, BaiXue did not react as fast as LongFei did. Instead of rushing to LongFei to get to safety, she blankly looked down at the pool of blood, scattered tiny mashed up bits of meat, and battered pelt under her feet. She blinked her eyes in pleasant shock. I made it?

Suddenly, a loud explosion caught her attention and she looked towards the source of it. The moment she looked to her right, she was thrown off her paws by something large piercing through her from above. This happened at the same time LongFei turned to meet the oncoming pillar of black flames. BaiXue witnessed how LongFei's strength continued to grow before closing her eyes. What luck...

LongFei happily turned back to BaiXue intending to whisk her away to safety and was already picturing the peaceful days they would spend together. However, his face fell as he was greeted with the sight of BaiXue pinned to the ground diagonally through her core by a broken tree trunk.

"No!!!" LongFei yelled. He went onto the ground to nudge her head with his snout. "Wake up! Please! Live!"

"Humph." That's what she gets for messing with FengJiao. MengYao prepared to fly away before he would be caught by LongFei. He has achieved what he came here for and did not want to engage in meaningless fights.

LongFei's pupils constricted. He turned back to see MengYao retreating.

"Die!!" LongFei roared out loud enough to reach the heavens.

MengYao's heart involuntarily jumped in fear in response to the roar. Without stopping, he looked back to check if LongFei was chasing him. Although LongFei was not, a chill was sent down his spine when he met the stormy rage reflected in LongFei's eyes.

Dark clouds suddenly started gathering and the wind picked up harshly. MengYao found that he could no longer fly steadily. The winds were too strong. This unsettled him because he has always been able to fly through any storm, including a typhoon.

LongFei felt power building up within him. What's the use of this power if I couldn't protect her? What's the point?! "Why did you refuse to believe it wasn't her?! Weren't you acquainted with that fox?! Do you not know her powers of deception?! Why?! You must pay for your sin!"

As the last word left LongFei's mouth, several tornadoes surrounded MengYao such that he had nowhere to escape. The tornadoes picked up speed and closed in on MengYao. Soon, it spun fast enough that it would be akin to being put in a blender if MengYao got caught in any one of the tornadoes. His feathers were already slowly being shredded and ripped from his skin.

"Don't..." LongFei froze upon hearing the softest whisper of the voice he most wanted to hear. Am I already hallucinating?

"You... Can't!" A very weak but desperate plea made him realise that it was real. He turned back to find BaiXue breathing fast but her breaths were shallow. She did not have a lot of time left. In his panic earlier, he had missed her very weak breaths.

"Please try to hold on till we reach back. Please." While he spoke, LongFei was already sliding the broken tree trunk out of the ground so that she would not be pinned down anymore. He sliced the exposed part of the log shorter then curled his body around her to pick her up.

BaiXue saw that the tornadoes were still ongoing. "Forget me!"

"I won't! I don't want to!" LongFei stubbornly refused and lifted her up carefully.

BaiXue winced in pain again before saying, "Don't kill him!" She panted for a bit before continuing, "Save FengJiao too!"

LongFei refused to stop and continued to climb higher. Only the wind around BaiXue remained a gentle breeze while everywhere else was a chaotic mess. It reflected the state of LongFei's heart. "Why?! I don't care about them! Why do you care?! He hurt you! She's no one to you! They don't mean a thin-" 

"My soul can't rest in peace!" BaiXue shouted out with all the remaining energy she had when she saw MengYao finally got sucked into one of the tornadoes. She meant what she said in more ways than one.

The tornadoes finally cleared up and the air became insanely still. BaiXue saw a broken and worn down black bird drop like a stone from a height. 

LongFei continued to fly but tears overflowed. The droplets that left his eyes glistened in the wind as he flew steadily forward. "Don't talk like you're dying. Live. I order you to live!"

"Make sure... MengYao... Makes it back..."

"... We'll reach back in no time. Stay awake!" LongFei tried to order her again but it came out as a desperate plea.

"Promise. Me." BaiXue said with great difficulty.

LongFei could feel her breathing becoming so shallow that it was almost non-existent now. He stopped in his flight and coiled his entire body around her to cuddle her in mid-air.

"... I promise..." LongFei's voice was so strained that it came out as a hoarse whisper.

BaiXue breathed her last. 

LongFei gently and slowly nuzzled his face against BaiXue's. Tears continued to flow uncontrollably. Don't leave me... The pain from losing her spread through his entirety and imprinted itself even more strongly into his soul. Unable to hold it in any longer, he cried out loud. A sorrowful dragon cry filled the skies and echoed across miles away. 

 

Luna opened her eyes to find herself back in the same dark black space. 

"Luna?" 

"..."

"Luna? Are you okay?" BaoBao was worried that being impaled reminded her of the way she died in the second world.

"Mm." Luna did not feel like talking and simply floated in space with a spaced out look. 

"Luna? You can sleep like the last time if you need to." BaoBao remembered that she did not have much rest in the night before the final showdown with FenFang.

Luna finally noticed BaoBao's worries so she reassured him, "I'm fine BaoBao. That death was nothing compared to the second world's. Also, it was more torturous fighting the fake LongFei. This death is really not too bad."

"Then... What's wrong?" BaoBao looked at her with worried eyes and gently touched her forearm.

Luna blinked her eyes in surprise. Although she was not thinking about anything in particular and has told him that she was fine, BaoBao was now able to sense that something was not right with the way she was feeling.

She smiled wryly. She was glad that BaoBao's emotional intelligence was improving but this meant that she could no longer avoid conversations about her feelings, especially if she started thinking about things.

"This world was just a little... overwhelming for me. Did LongFei do as I asked?" Luna suddenly asked instead.

"Ah! Yes he did! He carried out your orders perfectly and even gave MengYao herbs that acted as painkillers for the thrashing he put MengYao through."

Luna nodded then solemnly asked, "... So how are the results of this world?" She was not feeling optimistic about the results. 

"Now that you asked... It's strange. The administrators told me to wait as it would take longer to assess our performance this time." BaoBao felt disgruntled. If it was him, he would easily judge Luna's performance as marvelous, perfect even!

She sighed and went quiet again. She closed her eyes and continued to float in space. Luna was truly feeling overwhelmed. Not only was it the most emotional she has been for a long while, she had to rely on LongFei's assistance to the end, LongFei actually did listen to her, and she somehow accomplished something that was against the plot. What could all these mean? Did he listen to me or did he simply revert back to his character after I left the world? Did I cause some disturbance in the world? 

BaoBao heard all of her worries but had no answer to it so kept silent and hung his head low. He had still thought too simply in the end. There he was, feeling happy about all the things Luna had accomplished, yet neglecting the consequences of her actions. He had also gotten carried away earlier and felt aggrieved when Luna asked LongFei to support the lead couple. Even BaoBao did not know what would happen to them now.

... Desmond... My family... I wonder how happy they would be if they knew about this...

BaoBao cocked his head slightly then asked innocently, "What about you Luna? Are you happy?"

Luna's eyes flew wide open in response to BaoBao's question. "Me? I..." 

Her hands slowly clenched and she looked away from BaoBao's direction to avoid making eye contact. 

After a short pause, she spoke. 

"I haven't really thought about it. You know what? Maybe it was a mistake. I shouldn't have done something like this so willfully. I knew all along that the goal was to be average yet..."

"Lu- Luna?" BaoBao reached out a hand and slowly approached Luna. He sensed that something was wrong. It made him feel afraid. 

"Yet I was so easily shaken like that. Killing FenFang was also only possible due to LongFei's intervention. Ha... I'm still as pathetic as ever." 

Luna then continued in an extremely soft whisper, "To think that I was hoping it'd make me a little more worthy..."

"Luna?" BaoBao called out again in a shaky voice. 

Luna did not respond for awhile. She then took a deep breath before turning around with a small apologetic smile. "Sorry BaoBao, just ignore my ramblings. I'm fine."

On the contrary, BaoBao felt like things were anything but fine. The way Luna was smiling now reminded him of how she was when he first met her. Her smile did not reach her eyes. Her eyes looked devoid of emotions. Like she was jaded. "It's- it's okay Luna... You did nothing wrong..." 

Luna continued to put on a kind smile and patted BaoBao's head. "Thank you."

BaoBao's eyes teared up and he bit his lips in frustration as he lowered his head. He felt that his words did not make it through to her. 

What can I do for her? BaoBao thought to himself. At the same time, he received news of the results.

14