Legacy World 4.13
328 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Vlad was done drying his hair, he hung the towel around his neck and initiated a conversation. "I've been wondering, what's wrong with today's hell beings?"

Vanora looked at him pointedly. "They may be tricky or troublesome to deal with but only the worms were lethal enough to activate my enhanced instinct. I want to hone my control over my enhanced instinct."

For some reason, Vlad felt that it was hard to hold her gaze so he looked down. "I see... I understand."

Vanora eyed him suspiciously but decided to let his slightly off behaviour slide.

"You know... Seeing you train and practice so diligently today is really refreshing."

Seeing that she showed no reaction to his comment, he continued unfazed. "Do you plan to do the same tomorrow?"

She nodded.

"Exactly the same?"

Vanora nodded.

His face now held awe and surprise. "Have you always followed such a strict routine?"

Vanora recalled the original soul's past and realised that they were about the same in this aspect. So she nodded again.

"But you're a demon now so your lifespan's longer than a human's. You have many many years to grow stronger, why do you still work so hard?"

Vanora understood where he was coming from. It was probably unheard of to see such a demon so "proper" like her. However, she could not explain her situation to Vlad so she simply shrugged.

Vlad took it as a sign that she was still not willing to open up to him so he ceased his questioning. At the same time, Vanora finally could no longer take the feelings of restlessness that had crept up since earlier on. 

Not being one to spend her time idly like this was partially a result of her understanding that she was no main character who could grow exponentially in a short amount of time or with the right trigger. She had to put in far more effort and time if she could even hope to reach the same level. 

Her mind involuntarily filled with ways she could have spent the time more productively and the consequences of her idling her time away right now. What if what I could have accomplished today would be crucial in saving myself in the future?

Now that her drink has cooled down, she downed it then asked Vlad if he could bring her to where she practiced in the morning.

"But you're already all cleaned up and ready for bed."

"I know but as I figured, today was not enough. I need to do more." She said with a small frown.

"You will do much more, but tomorrow."

She looked unconvinced. What if tomorrow will be the same as today?

Vlad sighed and continued to persuade her. "I'll find more hell beings and of the right difficulty for you tomorrow but only if I'm convinced that you're well-rested."

Her expression fell flat. ... He's really treating me like a child.

Well... In terms of how long you've been a demon as compared to him, you're indeed a baby demon. Perhaps he really sees you as one?

Somehow I don't think that's it.

"Sleep. Go." He gently ushered her to the bed.

The way he said it gave her a strong sense of deja vu. This sounds exactly like...

LongFei! LongFei said this exact words in this previous world!

... What a coincidence...

While Vanora was distracted, Vlad managed to tuck her into bed. Before she knew it, he was already pulling the blanket up to her shoulders. He sat on the edge of the bed and stroked her cheek with the back of his four fingers. His gesture brought her full attention back to the present. "Relax and rest well." He said with a soft smile on his face.

Her eyes grew slightly wider and she felt a little squeeze in her heart, but her cool and indifferent expression was quickly recovered. "You too."

She turned her back on him and closed her eyes. Instead of going off to go to sleep as well, he started to stroke her head gently. Vanora's hand that was hidden under the blanket gripped onto the bed sheet so tightly that her knuckles turned white.

Why? Why does he have such similar mannerisms to LongFei?

Without knowing it, she had grown accustomed to LongFei's presence. She appreciated his quiet obedience and assistance. Now that Vlad was showing similar mannerisms, a small wave of nostalgia washed over her. It suddenly hit her that she missed being with her family, the people who would always shower her with love and affection that she felt undeserving of. As soon as the feeling of nostalgia and yearning hit her, she stomped it back down.

I can't go back. I shouldn't.

Her mental self-talk got BaoBao confused as he only shared her thoughts, not her emotions. So he was unaware of the momentary emotional turmoil Vanora was caught in momentarily.

Could it be that you wish to return to the previous world? 

What? No, how did you get that idea?

Didn't you just say something about not being able to go back? 

Ah. That. Forget that, it's nothing.

BaoBao knew by now not to push Vanora when it came to her feelings. He could only take one step at a time.

After a long while, Vanora finally fell asleep.

 

Back in the dungeon cave that housed the hell beings, a tall and slim figure with waist-long sky blue hair and sapphire coloured eyes appeared in the first arena where the flying creatures were in. Besides the commander coat, it could easily be told from the intimidating aura that the woman that appeared was a strong being. 

The flying creatures turned towards the woman with great synchronization then prostrated themselves.

"You've kept your end of the deal. You get to live." The woman said with an empty smile on her pretty face. She waved her hand across the air from one side to the other and the winged hell beings faded from sight. She wasted no time in releasing the trapped hell beings in the other arena too by teleporting to the respective arenas. All of them were returned to where she had gotten them from, except one.

She finally appeared in the space with the worm creatures, however the expression on her face was now of intense displeasure. "Knowing that you've done wrong, you do not dare to appear before me?" Her cold voice was low but carried deadly intent.

After a short moment of silence, the ground suddenly shook like there was an earthquake then a sharp squeal of pain rang out while a gigantic worm that was several times the size of her shot out of the ground. It laid on the ground convulsing in pain.

"I told you. Listen to me or die. There's no escaping this place unless I allow you to. How arrogant, letting your little ones do whatever they want. Looks like I'll have to put you in your place."

"I apologise! I apologise!" 

However, the woman was already standing on the worm. She only smiled mockingly in response to the apology. The woman bit down on the worm's fat body, with her nails digging into its flesh. The worm screeched and squealed in pain as it felt its entire  being burn as if it was on fire. From the outside, no one would be able to tell a difference except that the wriggling and struggling worm was gradually becoming weaker and weaker. In reality, its life force was being drained. 

The woman smirked and wiped her mouth with her cuff. "That was a good meal. You must have been well-fed before I brought you here." 

Now that it was just another piece of meat with no way to communicate with its young ones, the woman kicked it up and away, making it drop in the center of the space. When it did, an uncountable number of little worms shot up from the ground and consumed the body in no time. As for the little worms, she decided to let them starve to death since they would be unable to leave this place without her.

She disappeared from the place to create yet another dungeon cave. 

 

When Vanora opened her eyes again, BaoBao automatically informed her that she has slept for only 6 hours this time. It was a very early start to her day. She looked outside the windows that was near the ceiling and saw that the sky was still as pitch black as it has ever been. I wonder when will I get used to this.

She got up to go to the bathroom only to find her shirt being held on to tightly again. Oh yes, there's this too.

She lightly tapped him to wake him up. Vlad opened his eyes groggily after only a few taps. "You're already awake?" His husky voice sounded out. This time, Vlad was not as alarmed as he was yesterday. He remained lying in bed while he automatically released the curse he put on his hand.

"Yes. Is this too early for you?" Is it just me or does he look a little more tired than he did yesterday?

Maybe it's due to getting far less sleep than he had yesterday. Not only did he sleep after you, he went somewhere first for about half an hour before he appeared back in the room, cleaned himself up again, before joining you in bed.

He left for that long?

"No, I'm fine. But are you sure you're well rested?"

Vanora stared at him silently while a debate went on in her mind regarding whether she should do him a favour and sleep longer so that he could too. In the meantime, Vlad relaxed in bed and enjoyed the intimate view he has of her. She eventually decided that she had no time to waste and that he should be fine with a little sleep deprivation, being the strongest demon lord that he is. 

"Yes. I'll go get ready to leave. As for you, feel free to sleep while I'm practicing." She let him know while walking to the bathroom.

"That's impossible."

She stopped in her tracks at the bedroom door. "Why not?" I'm pretty sure demons don't always sleep on comfy beds?

"Something may happen to you while I'm asleep."

"... Seriously. What's with your paranoia?" She left him alone with that comment. Not that he could give her an answer even if she waited for one. Vlad did not understand where his fears stemmed from either. He just knew that such thoughts would uncontrollably flood his mind and keep him on his toes. If he ignored them and forcibly went to sleep, he may end up dreaming up frightening images yet again. He never had this issue before so he truly did not have an answer nor a solution.

The day went the same as yesterday. 

The black dress she received today was still gothic but it was no longer puffy and it was sleeveless. It hugged her figure till her waist before falling loosely around her and ending at her thighs. This was coupled with black tights. It was much better to fight in. Vlad was dressed in yet another suit but today's was a dark grey colour with a maroon coloured shirt. 

The hell beings she faced today were as promised. They seemed to be of better standard than the ones yesterday, but only in how predictable their attacks and movements were. Although it allowed her to try and activate her enhanced instinct to deal with them, she still felt a little unsatisfied and odd. She was miraculously unhurt from each encounter and they were defeated according to how thick or tough their hide were. Each time things started to get difficult and she would finally feel the right pressure she needed to experience to force a growth in her strength or skill, she would make it out one way or another without a hitch, with or without the use of her enhanced instinct. 

She was a little worried if the training was still too slack for her to grow. She definitely felt like she was not pushed as much as she had been in the three previous worlds. At the most, she would be tired or worn out, but never drained. She decided to wait it out and observe before making any conclusions. 

10