Legacy World 4.16
302 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When she felt ready, she woke Vlad to get him to let go of her shirt. She went ahead with her routine as usual - washing up, wearing the sleeveless top and tights that Vlad provided for her, drinking the tea that Vlad made for her, then heading for morning practice with Vlad. 

Vlad had wanted to try and strike up a conversation again but he felt that something about her made her feel colder and more detached than usual. He could not place a finger on what was it though. He guessed that she was probably still upset with him so he decided to give her space and only speak when the opportunity presents itself. Even when they teleported, he decently held her hand instead of taking more liberties with her.

Vanora quickly realised that her power was almost back to the state it was before she lost control of her emotions when she fought the grey bear and Vlad. "Vlad, I didn't know that having your own emotions power up your strength was only a temporary state."

"It isn't. It shouldn't be." 

She could hear his confusion and surprise in his voice. That's weird. Don't tell me I have to keep my emotions heightened?

"I've been meaning to ask..." Vlad cocked his head while he continued speaking. "Are you... suppressing your emotions? Your aura looks dimmer again. Normally auras stay stable. I've never seen someone's aura waver so much like this before. Or do you have another reason for this?"

Vanora stared at him for a short while before looking away without answering his question.

Vlad raised his hands defensively. "Erm, I'm only asking because I'm trying to troubleshoot what might be the cause for the mysterious drop in your powers."

After another short silence, Vanora finally replied in a soft voice that was almost a whisper. "I know."

Vanora? Is there something wrong? BaoBao finally plucked up the courage to ask her since Vlad has already broke the ice.

This world may be much more vexing and tiring in a way that I didn't expect...

Vanora... BaoBao felt very bad that he could not help her feel better except to cheer her on.

Don't worry BaoBao. I'll be fine. 

She closed her eyes and readied her heart and mind for what was to come. This time when she resumed her practice, she let her thoughts and emotions flow freely. 

While she went through the motions of fighting while using her fire like an extra limb or as a weapon, negative thoughts that she normally does not experience by focusing fully on the task at hand began to spring forth. 

This won't do.

This isn't enough.

No. 

Still not it. 

Inadequate.

I'm just no good. I'm not good enough.

Would this really work? 

What's the point of trying so hard when I'll never perform as well as I want to?

I'm fated to be a mediocre person.

I'm a failure and I'll always be a failure. 

But I have to be at least strong enough such that I won't rely on anyone. Otherwise, I'll let them all down. I can't let them down!

She had just completed a spin and a kick with her hellfire covering spots that her imaginary target could have escaped to. With that thought, she stood still with her head hanging and hellfire burning around her.

What am I saying? I've been relying on someone from day one. Also, aren't I already relying on Vlad in so many ways? I needed LongFei's help in the previous world too. I already let them down. I'm scum. 

At this thought, she felt overwhelmed with emotions. Tears sprung forth and she tried her best to hold them back. Her hellfire grew uncontrollably big and hot that it instantly set a large area of already bare trees on fire. It even jumped onto Vlad who thought that he had been standing out of her range of attack. 

"Ah!" Her hellfire hurt more than usual and since he was caught by surprise, he let out a yelp of pain. However, he saw that she was only standing there among the raging fire as if she was in a daze but her hands were clenched.

"Erm, Vanora...? Did I perhaps do something wrong?" He said with an awkward smile as he gestured to his left leg that was on fire. 

Vanora slightly jumped as she was shocked back to the present and her head snapped to look at Vlad. She immediately called her flames back upon noticing that he was on fire too. She quickly looked away again before Vlad could see the pained look on her face. What a joke. I grew in power like I aimed to but I couldn't even control it. 

She clenched her hands tight as she breathed in deep and slow, then relaxed as she breathed out slow. Still feeling a little worked up, she repeated it a few more times. However, it was to no avail.

Ah... This isn't good. I should just move on to fighting the angels. 

She kept her hands clenched so tightly that her nails dug into her skin and drew blood. She walked to Vlad then spoke as if nothing was wrong while keeping her head down, "Let's move on to the angels now."

"Without eating?" He asked with a frown.

She nodded. He thought of insisting that she should eat something but looking at her stiff posture, he somehow felt that this was not a good time to do so. He took one of her clenched fists into his hands and held it tenderly. He stroked the back of her palm while the fog surrounded them. 

BaoBao had been shocked by sudden flow of negative thoughts in her mind but adding her current performance to his database, he identified the factor that varied along with her power level. He finally understood what Vanora meant earlier. However, even if he wanted to help her grow in power without needing to go through this mental torment, he did not know how to. 

When the fog cleared up, she noticed that they were in some new forested area that she did not recognise.

"There are angels nearby. We'll join in the fray whenever you're ready." Vlad explained.

"Let's go then."

Vlad nodded. "Follow me." He sprinted off and she followed closely behind. 

They soon exited the forest and entered a large clearing where there was a small group of angels fighting an equal number of dark orange human-sized ogres. Vlad and Vanora stopped at the edge of the forest to first observe the situation. 

The three angels were using defensive magic and surrounded themselves in a white dome barrier that sparkle and shone. The three angels held hands and kept their eyes closed while they continually said prayers. It was likely what was keeping up the barrier. Something odd about the demons intrigued Vanora. "Is the reason why the demons aren't finding some other more accessible target related to why there's a faint white glow around them?"

"You're right." Vlad made a disgusted face as he continued. "They're doing what they call purification of our souls. Sounds nice but it would basically end us. No matter how far they run from the angels, it will continue to weaken them until the one who inflicted it is killed."

Vanora nodded then sprinted off without warning. Although Vlad was a beat slower than her in getting to the scene of battle, his teleportation allowed him to arrive a moment sooner. The demons stopped in confusion to see someone they did not recognise. However, once it registered that the newcomers had no angel wings, they roared in excitement. Just as they wanted to continue bashing the barrier with renewed fervour, Vlad spoke out in cold commanding voice. "We'll settle this. Go back up the another area."

The demons somehow found themselves unable to disobey and left the scene. Vlad then stood to one side with the intention to observe Vanora's battle, ready to lend his assistance if her life was ever threatened. Unexpectedly, he turned to see Vanora already punching straight at the weakest spot of the barrier which was at the top center. Woah, she figured out its weakest spot so quickly? Or was this the use of her enhanced instinct?

When Vanora arrived at the battle scene, she did not think too much about the combatants nor paid attention to what Vlad was doing. She only had one thing on her mind. I have to break it!

She simply followed where she felt like hitting. So upon landing on the top of the barrier with one knee down, she began repeatedly pounding on the barrier. She realised that the shining barrier was slightly stinging to her skin. However, she paid it no attention as well. 

After just a few punches, the first crack appeared. More cracks appeared with each successive punch. The angels relaxed but focused expressions finally changed and revealed the stress they were put under. At the same moment when the barrier gave way and shattered into white sparkles, the angels let go off their hands and split up to surround Vanora who landed on the ground where they had been at. Without wasting a second, they lifted their hands and said prayers and verses to begin the purification of her soul. While they did that, Vanora also wasted no time in randomly choosing one of the angels to attack first. 

The first angel was shocked by her speed but managed to dodge. Vanora immediately followed her punch to the ground with a kick to the angel's head. The angel's head got smashed to smithereens.

Vanora moved on to the next angel. At this point, she was beginning to feel a warm sizzling itchy feeling inside her. She also felt a similar effect to being sedated. Her energy and emotions were very gradually draining away.

She gritted her teeth in frustration as she understood that the longer this fight dragged on, the more disadvantaged she would be. 

The second angel had better reflexes and was more nimble than the previous one so Vanora had a harder time catching the angel. The angel was obviously separating herself from the other one. Something told Vanora that she could end this immediately now if she used her hellfire, so she did. Her hellfire traveled through the ground without anyone's knowledge than shot up as a fire pillar where the other angel was standing at. 

A sharp scream that reveal agony and pain rang out and filled the skies. It shocked the angel that Vanora had been fighting so much that Vanora got a clean strike through her heart. However, Vanora realised that she was still slightly glowing. The agonising scream was also ongoing. 

Vanora looked back at the angel who was convulsing on the floor in pain. They made eye contact and suddenly the angel shouted at her, "What a sadistic and cruel power this is! You're so horrible!"

Vanora reached her in one leap and looked at her with eyes that looked even more dead than just now. "Yes, I'm horrible." She whispered before stomping down on her head and bursting it like a smashed watermelon.

Slow clapping was heard and Vanora glanced at Vlad at the corner of her eye. He was walking towards her with a very pleased expression. "You did very well for your first kills! Your first contribution to the war! Marvelous!"

Yeah! Vlad's right! I got worried for you because your thoughts seemed a little jumbled and distracted during the fight. But it all turned out great in the end! Could it be that you're already getting the hang of your enhanced instinct? Ahh Vanora! You're so awesome!

BaoBao ended up gushing over her as well. However, what followed was Vanora's gentle rejection.

There's nothing to be happy about. If it was Vlad, he would have finished this in a blink. I'm nowhere near awesome. 

"Where's the next battle?" Vanora blatantly ignored everything he said. She was only gentle to BaoBao whom she had grown a soft spot for after all the time they have spent together and all the things they have been through together. She had less care about a person she had just met recently.

Vlad did not mind and simply gestured around him. "We're on the fringe of the main conflict area. We can take our time to clear this area then gradually move inwards."

Vanora focused her attention on her hearing but had not picked up any sounds of battle, so she decided to keep a lookout as she wandered around. "Let's move on then." 

Vlad nodded with small smile and they took off back into the forest together which was where the previous orange ogres went.

9