Legacy World 4.24
322 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another 6 months passed by.

Things were now slightly different between Vlad and Vanora, at least to the hell beings that were following Vlad in war. 

After the first day, they never once saw Vlad fight together with Vanora again. Although they would come together in the morning and leave together at night, they never interacted with each other beyond that. Vanora integrated well with the other demons of her nature and respected Vlad as much as they did. They really would not have thought that anything was going on between the two of them if not for Vlad's behaviour.

Vlad was visibly more cranky and irritable. If he was cold and aloof before, he now felt domineeringly unfriendly and unapproachable to all the hell beings. They originally thought that it was related to an increase in his powers until they found out the truth through gossiping. The ones around Vlad shared their experiences with those around Vanora. From piecing the information together, even the stupidest hell being gradually realised the truth behind their demon lord's bad mood. 

Every time Vanora would have suffered a grievous wound, either the body of an angel or a hell being would come flying over and knock down the opponent, giving Vanora and her comrades an opportunity to fight back. It was only thanks to the information of the other side that they realised it was Vlad tossing the bodies over. Unfortunately, he kicked or threw whoever was closest to him, regardless whether the victim was friend or foe. Once this truth was established, the hell beings were careful not to be close to Vlad every time they were fighting.

The other happening that made them believe Vanora meant something special to their lord was that the hell beings on Vlad's side would suffer more the more Vanora's side enjoyed themselves. Vanora may be quiet and unsociable but they felt that she was easy to get along with. Other females were too loud, emotional, fierce, or arrogant. So whenever they were on route to the next battle or taking a break, they would make merry around Vanora. Some females were jealous, some took this chance to join in, some felt protective over her meek nature, some simply did not care. Despite all that was going on around her, Vanora never actually took part in anything. She was like a bystander being entertained by all their antics and interactions. This changed one day though. Unbeknownst to her, it was the day they realised that she probably meant something special to their demon lord. 

The hell beings began treating her with more respect and took more care of her. There was once when a fellow male demon tried to offer her the reddest and juiciest meat they had caught in an effort to please the demon lord, he was met with a death glare instead that made him wet himself on the spot. Thinking that the fault lied with offering her the wrong food, more hell beings started trying to please Vanora in an effort to get into the demon lord's good books. Unexpectedly, Vlad's mood only got worse and worse. They were at a complete loss about what to do as the ones on Vlad's side continued to beg those around Vanora to take it easy on them. What a pity that they would never know how their actions only looked like seduction and flirtation to Vlad.

Vanora was completely aware of Vlad's mood and behaviour as BaoBao kept her informed. She sighed inwardly as she wondered if it was possible to get him to behave more properly and comply more willingly. She was worried that with the way he was behaving, misunderstandings about their relationship can still happen, especially for any overthinking sensitive hell beings, which would then defeat her purpose of distancing herself from him. It also made their current deal pointless. 

Lying in bed, she began thinking back to what she had to do to make him comply to her wishes.

 

That day, they returned back to the castle to reduce the time wasted on teleportation the next morning. Vanora brought up the topic of wanting to keep a distance between them whenever they were in front of the hell beings after she came back from bathing. The conversation continued through dinner and after it. 

He was completely unwilling and defiant from the start till the end no matter what she said or how she explained. He was confident about her strength, his ability to protect her should her strength fail her, and that she was no coward to run away from potential trouble. Seeing how she did not give up trying to convince him to give in, he threw out a condition that he had believed she would never do.

"If you'll kiss me on the lips everyday then will I agree to your request." Seeing that she was stunned into silence at his absurd request, he looked pleased.

"Now can you go to bed?" 

She frowned and slightly pursed her lips. Her expression made him feel even more pleased with himself although his heart did feel a tiny stab. So this is how much she doesn't like me huh...

To his surprise, he was suddenly grabbed and pulled forward by his coat and her lips slammed roughly onto his lips. Her eyes were squeezed shut while his were as wide as saucers. He felt his heart being filled to the brim with a warm fuzzy emotion that he could not identify. It was itchy and weird but nice and he felt really happy. When she finally let go of him, he had a silly grin plastered to his face. However, what she said next poured cold water all over him. 

"Now do you agree?" Her tone still sounded as cool and calm as ever. Only the slight red tinge on her cheeks and ears told him that what had happened was not a dream or his hallucination. 

His smile now looked sad and defeated. "You fulfilled the condition." 

She nodded curtly then headed to bed.

Once Vanora disappeared behind the black curtain, the both of them let out a heavy sigh without the other knowing. 

Vlad collapsed together with his sigh and was now squatting with his head buried in his arms. I actually thought that she liked me even if a little. How stupid have I gotten. To her, the kiss was just a means to an end. Does she even see me as a guy... Ah... Fuck it. I'll just have to use this chance to try and get even closer to her then.

On the other side of the curtain, Vanora was lightly touching her lips with her fingertips with a dazed look on her face. My first kiss... She then covered her face with her palms. I can't believe I just exchanged my lips for this... It better be worth it...

Ever since then, Vlad would wake up a little earlier to do his job as a demon lord so that he would be done by the time Vanora woke up. Besides this change, nothing else changed in their routine. He would still make tea for her while she washed up in the bathroom opposite his study. When they returned back each night, he would prepare her meal while she bathed. While she ate, he would bathe then try to chat with her after he was back. Although he felt that she seemed a little colder towards him, she never failed to give him a quick peck on his lips first before retiring back to bed every night.

He felt conflicted about her kiss. It felt nice to feel her soft lips against his even if only momentary, but was it okay for it to continue like this? She was obviously not enjoying it like he did and it also hurt as much as it felt good for him since the kiss meant nothing to her. It was also a slight torture for himself each time because he would have to fight the urge to hold onto her and relish in a deeper kiss with her. It was as if he took one step forward only to go two steps back. 

Having never questioned himself this much before, he developed a headache doing so. Eventually, he caved in and told Vanora that there was no need to kiss him anymore for him to keep to their deal. It looked as if a load was taken off her shoulders when Vanora's face lit up with pleasant surprise. 

Vlad had actually felt depressed but soon realised that it may not be a bad decision after all. Although nothing really changed outwardly, he could tell that Vanora warmed up to him considerably and was at ease with him more than she had been before their first kiss. 

On the other hand, BaoBao secretly did not share the same sentiments. He had been having a whale of the time seeing Vanora behave so awkwardly and uncomfortably for once that he began to find it entertaining and cute. He wanted to see more development between Vlad and her only for Vlad to dash his hopes. 

 

Back in the present, Vanora was wondering to herself why Vlad was so upset about being apart from her and if she could somehow make him a more willing party. 

Afraid that Vanora would immediately know what he was thinking, BaoBao turned off the telepathy function before speaking to her. Well... Maybe... Just maybeeee... He... You know... Maybe Vlad... 

Finding that BaoBao was hesitating so much for the first time in a long while, she guessed what he wanted to say. Are you trying to say that he probably likes me?

Yes! 

...

Sorry... Was it too much of me after all?

Vanora sighed. No, BaoBao. It's just... I can't bring myself to believe it. After all, we haven't seen Angela at all right? He could still be protecting her. Also, I shouldn't, I cannot, think of such possibilities for myself...

Before BaoBao could get her to elaborate, she continued speaking.

If anything, it's more likely he views me as belonging to him. You know, like a property?

Would he kiss a property that belongs to him? BaoBao was genuinely puzzled.

He's a demon. A demon lord. No reservations about acting on whim. Moreover, maybe I'm like a pet, like a dog. You'd kiss such beings, wouldn't you?

I... guess so...? BaoBao felt that her reasoning this time seemed harder to accept than usual. 

He began to process all the data he has thus far and considered her teaching about how beliefs and assumptions can bias a person's judgement and perception. So much was being processed at once that the current version of himself could not support it. He barely arrived at the possibility that Vanora's judgement may be getting inaccurate too but that conflicted with his trust in her and created more errors and issues and further simulations. 

He soon let out a soft groan like he was in pain.

BaoBao? What's wrong?

It's weird... I don't feel so well...

Is it possible for your kind to fall sick? Vanora asked seriously. She was worried about him.

Not that I know of...

Just stop thinking about anything and disconnect from me for now. Rest well BaoBao. 

Mm...

BaoBao found himself falling asleep. Something entities like them never needed to do. It scared him. Tried as he might, he uncontrollably went into a deep sleep akin to a hibernation. 

Without a clue about what was happening to BaoBao, Vanora fell asleep thinking of talking to Vlad the next morning.

 

Somewhere deep in the universe without anyone's knowledge, the administrators that looked nothing more than a constellation of smoke and sparkles received an emergency signal that they have not seen in eons. 

"An abnormality has appeared?" One asked.

"Locate it immediately." Another ordered the group. 

"It's a system by the name of BaoBao. It's body is breaking down." A third reported its finding.

"What's with this amount of data stored within it? Haven't we already told it to stop with the data collection on emotions and anything related to it?" A fourth questioned after they ran a diagnosis on his body.

"It probably processed much more data than its body was able to take."

"How irrational."

"Seems like a deviant has appeared..." The person who seemed to be the most respected among the group talked to himself. The word 'deviant' struck fear in their hearts. They had been wary of such developments because the risks were too great and results tended to be unpredictable. The probability of each outcome was so miniscule that literally anything could happen. To minimise losses of systems, the most optimal path of development was created for their entity over the years and everything ran smoothly from then on. Who knew that eons later, another deviant would appear despite everything that was put in place to prevent it?

"What should we do? Let it burn up and consume itself?" 

"It's no issue assigning another system to its host. On standby and waiting for your command."

The in-charge went deep in thought while the others waited patiently for his answer. 

8