Legacy World 5.7
274 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It won't be good to sleep in damp clothes. With that thought, he went to the room that used to be his parents to get one of his mother's old dresses. It would still be in a good condition since he ordered for the room and everything in it to be kept in good condition despite him never taking a step in it. 

He stopped right before the door and hesitated going in. A maid happened to pass by and saw him hovering in front of the door deep in thought. She decided to grab onto the rare chance to talk to him. 

"Is there something I can help you with?" She asked in the nicest voice she could manage.

Austin looked at her and walked away without a word. How stupid of me, if others saw her in different clothes, they'd still know that I'm treating her differently. Defeats the purpose of me not asking the maids for a change of clothes.

He returned back to the room and stared at Eva with a frown. He felt like he could not leave her like that either. I'll just wipe her perspiration off then.

He quickly untied the ribbon that was around her collar. As his fingers touched the first button on her collar, Eva decided to end this farce.

Doctor's here~ BaoBao reported in a sing song voice at the same time a knock sounded on the door.

Ugh, BaoBao! You! No wonder you could stay so quiet!

BaoBao giggled mischievously. He intentionally did not tell her that the doctor was already on the way up so that he could watch her fret like she did.

Austin's shoulders jumped at the knocking. While he was on the way to the door, he suddenly hurried back to the bedside drawer and hastily hid the basin and towels under the bed.

"Come in." In contrary to how he has been acting, his voice sounded completely cool and calm.

The butler opened the door for the doctor to enter the guest room and saw Austin calmly sitting at the small table near the window. Having been briefed on the way to the guest room, the doctor immediately knew what to do and went to Eva to assess her symptoms.

It did not take long for him to conclude that Eva was not sick.

"Are you sure? When I touched her forehead earlier, she felt hot. She also looked flushed." Austin persisted.

The doctor slightly frowned in puzzlement. "This lady here does have a weaker body so I'll prescribe something to boost her immunity. Don't worry, there's really nothing wrong with her. She likely passed out due to overwork."

Austin looked at Eva with a worried gaze that he could not hide. The doctor took this chance to whisper to the butler, "Excuse me, but has Duke Walker been lacking sleep?"

"Indeed he has. He sleeps only the minimum amount of hours and is constantly plagued by nightmares of the night his parents died." The butler replied honestly.

"I'll prescribe something to help him sleep as well then, it won't be good for it to keep up. He may start hallucinating."

"Thank you." Just before the butler left the room to see the doctor out, he caught Austin still staring at Eva.

"Sir, is there something wrong?"

"No?"

His butler stared at him for awhile before speaking again. "You're a young man. It's understandable if you want to fool around a little. But please, I'd advise you to retain some self control and do it at least with someone more befitting of your status."

For some reason, such talk seemed to anger and irritate Austin badly. A dangerous glint entered in eyes and he slowly walked towards the door where the butler was, as if he was a predator stalking a prey.

"You'd do well to remember that I can send you back to the royal family anytime and return to being one of their many subjects, fighting to have your voice heard. If you don't wish for that, you'd better choose your words more wisely. There'll be no more chances after this."

Austin then turned his gaze onto Eva. "She's a guest in this mansion entrusted to me by Esmeralda. You clearly know the way Esmeralda treats her people."

"I understand now. I've been too brazen. Forgive me."

"We'll send her back only after she wakes up. Go."

The butler bowed low and left the room, closing the door behind him.

After the door was closed behind him, Austin stood at the door for awhile as if waiting to be sure that they would not suddenly return. He then returned to sitting at the edge of the bed beside Eva.

His stoic demeanor was instantly lost as he sighed a long sigh. His face now revealed the complicated feelings he felt at the moment. He never felt so many emotions at once in a long time. First he felt relaxed, then anticipation, only to be met with disappointment and frustration, before suddenly being wrecked with worry. Now he felt relief upon hearing that there was nothing wrong with her. Nothing he felt made sense to him.

He stroked her cheek with the back of his four fingers. "Why? Just why do I feel this way towards you?"

He clenched his fist. He cannot allow himself to be distracted at the moment until he avenged his parents' death. Moreover, she was a mere servant and he was almost at the other end of the class system. She would likely face a lot of difficulties if people come to know about his feelings for her. The last thing he would want for her is to put her through trials and difficulties that she did not ask for.

He decisively turned away and left the room in a huff.

Eva's eyelids slowly lifted to reveal watery eyes. The tears that she could not hold back began to fall freely. It's really him. It really is. But how...? Why...? I'm no one special... Even now, I'm doing something that goes against him... How can this happen...? I'm no good... Being with me is no good...

Eva... BaoBao's heart ached for her as he started to understand the reason why she was so adamant against believing that someone was in love with her. She truly did not believe that anyone could be happy with her. She still did not believe that she was good enough for anyone.

BaoBao... Why's this happening...? What should I do...? Eva has one arm over her eyes. Tears were still slowly trickling down her face. 

Normally BaoBao would have jumped straight into his suggestion of making use of this opportunity to control everything else. It was simply the most logical thing to do in their situation. Yet saying something like that at this moment somehow felt wrong to him. Is... Is it really so bad that he loves you? 

Is it not bad to be stuck with someone subpar like me? I can't help him. I may even be an obstacle for him. Just look at this world. My parents killed his! What good can come out of his love? It'll only cause him pain and disappointment! Eva bit her bottom lip.

Why do you have to help him? What do you see yourself as? Also, why do you care if he suffers? Do you feel the same for him too?

Eva was at a loss for words. She never questioned herself like that before. She slowly sat up with a blank expression and spaced out for a good period of time. I... Don't know...

You don't know? Why won't you?

I... I just know that I don't want to cause anyone unhappiness. But my existence itself is a-

Since he has the same soul has Vlad, you clearly know the things you could do that would make him happy, don't you? BaoBao cut her off since he did not like to hear her degrading herself.

Eva knew what he was referring to. There was not only one way to give him what he wanted in this world. But... Wouldn't that be leading him on?

He's already in love with you and will likely stay in love with you regardless of what you do. Isn't your concern making him happy then? Besides, if you make him happy enough, you may take his focus off from finding your family. It all works out, so just make him happy.

Eva frowned deeply as she considered what BaoBao said. Now it sounded like she would have some ulterior motive for making him happy and she did not like it. Now that he was more than a mere character in the book, she could no longer feel as detached as she had always been. However, as much as she disliked the idea, she could not deny that she could not think of anything else. She could not avoid him because of her identity as Esmeralda's servant. She also could not avoid the responsibility to account for his OOC and prevent what happened in the previous world from happening again. As such, she decided to go along with BaoBao's idea. 

It's about time for me to go. Eva stood up with a renewed and clear goal. She felt oddly calm. Although there were still questions left unanswered, there was a path forward for her.

She walked out of the room and looked surprised to find the butler waiting by her door.

"Are you feeling better?" The butler asked politely but did not bow.

Eva nodded.

"Then let's get you home." He led the way through the unfamiliar corridor and living spaces until she reached the main hall that she recognised. There was a carriage already on the standby in front of the door. Eva bowed low to thank the butler then turned to enter the carriage. Just before she raised a foot up onto the carriage's step, the butler clenched his fists and spoke. 

"Wait."

Eva turned back around to look at him and slightly cocked her head. 

"Just for your information, don't go holding any designs for Duke Bryse. You were only treated well because of Lady Esmeralda, nothing more. Don't forget that you're just a small insignificant-"

Suddenly, Eva bowed deeply and stayed in that position, which surprised the butler into silence. Did she understand his warning? 

Just as he wanted to speak again, a deep and menacing voice sent a chill down his spine. "Go on."

The butler immediately jumped forward, turned around, and bowed as deep as Eva did. "Pardon m-"

"My. You're very disobedient today."

The butler raised his head to protest and apologise but instantly paled when he was met with the sight of Austin casually inspecting a sharp dagger in his hands. He lowered his head again and pleaded for forgiveness for his folly.

"You clearly still didn't see her as a guest. You're normally very efficient and useful. However, today you've clearly overstepped your boundaries, not once, but twice, and in a single day. Perhaps you've become acquainted with my enemies? You know I can never be too careful." 

The butler immediately dropped to his knees to beg for his life the moment he saw Austin take a step towards him with a knife in his hand. Austin's intention was clear for anyone to see. Suddenly, a smaller girl placed herself between him and the butler and practically shoved a piece of paper towards his face. This prevented Austin from taking another step forward.

Austin was so surprised that it took him awhile to take the piece of paper out of her hands. As he stared at the paper, he completely forgot everything about wanting to kill that butler of his. He slowly brought the hand that was not holding onto the knife up to cover his mouth with his index finger. 

He stood there like that, staring at the paper, for a good long while. It became apparent to Eva that no one present at the scene dared to approach him and break him out of his daze so she decided that she had to do so. She lightly poked his hand and it immediately got his attention. She still avoided his gaze and pointed to the carriage. 

"Ah, yes. Let's send you back." When he saw his butler look at him in surprise. He continued in an irritated tone, "Isn't this a good excuse to see Esmeralda? Any more slip ups and you're gone." Austin warned him for the last time before boarding the carriage first. 

The butler obediently and quietly helped Eva board the carriage before boarding it himself. The carriage could fit only four people and when the butler had wanted to naturally take the seat beside Eva, Austin shot him a glare. The butler remembered that he would not have done that if she was really a Lady, so he sat beside Austin instead. 

The entire ride was filled with an awkward silence. Austin rested his chin in his palm while he stared at the passing scenery while the other two in the carriage kept their gazes trained on the ground. 

It's so weird how a simple "Thank you" note with some doodles on it could tame him so much. BaoBao still could not believe it.

If it's Vlad, it should work. He's actually quite easily pleased. After all, I did nothing for him in the previous worlds yet this phenomenon still happened.

I don't think you did nothing. Especially not in the previous world. Remember? You even helped-

BaoBao! She tried her hardest to keep herself from blushing at the recollection. You're lucky that it's dim in here. If I get further delayed from returning because of you, I would really give you a knock on your head the next time you appear.

Sorry~ ... ... ... Just so you know, Austin secretly kept the note in his pocket. He really loves you~~ BaoBao still could not help but tease her after a moment of silence. 

BaoBao!

5