Legacy World 5.8
265 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Around 20 minutes passed before the carriage finally came to a stop. The butler helped Eva to step out of the carriage. She then showed them to sitting room before informing Esmeralda's family of her return and Austin's visit.

"Austin!" Esmeralda's family greeted him with surprise.

"Why the sudden visit?" Esmeralda's father asked.

"Sorry for coming by unannounced. I decided to use this chance to see you. I haven't made a social call in such a long time."

"No no, please join us for dinner if you're free to!"

"And please excuse our brazen daughter. I can't believe she thought that it was a good idea to let you care for one of our servants like that."

"No, it was I who insisted."

As they continued to chat, Esmeralda headed straight for Eva with a concerned look on her face, completely ignoring the fact that her parents were speaking ill of her.

"Are you feeling better already?"

Eva nodded.

"Go rest for the rest of the day, just in case." Esmeralda gave her a look that meant that she would not accept 'no' for an answer, so Eva obediently returned home to Briana's side. While Briana was lazing in bed, Eva could not take not doing anything so she started to clean the house.

"Haven't you done enough of such things in Esmeralda's house? Or do you like serving others this much?" Briana asked an with eyebrow raised.

Eva simply smiled back and continued what she was doing.

When her parents returned home later that night and they were all seated at the table with food that Eva has cooked for them, Eva put a note on the table once more.

Briana took a look at it then sighed heavily.

"What is it?" Her father asked.

"Nothing, she's just being paranoid again."

"To stop the assassination?"

Briana nodded.

"You're oddly hung up over this, huh? I wonder where you got this paranoid trait from." Her father commented.

"I know that you're concerned but you're really thinking too much, silly girl." Her mother tried to reassure her as usual.

"Things haven't been progressing well."

"Oh come on, this injury ain't much. I can already return to work tomorrow." Briana quipped back.

"After a week."

Briana had less patience than her parents but before she could say anything, her mother placed a hand on Briana's hand before speaking to Eva. "Look at our food Eva. We're reduced back to having a simple fare again because of the recent hiccups, don't you want more?"

Eva noticed how her mother smoothly trivialised all of their failures into hiccups. "I don't mind as long as all of you are safe and sound. These hiccups are a bad sign. What if Austin's onto you?"

Briana read it out for her parents and her parents were pleasantly shocked. They shared a glance before the both of them looked at Eva with very pleased expressions.

"That's really good to know. Don't worry, as long as you're alive and well, we'll be fine. Trust me." Her mother said as she rubbed Eva's head.

Eva's shoulders sagged as she knew that she has once again failed to convince her family.

While she was eating, BaoBao informed Eva that Austin ended up not staying for dinner and went home.

 

Back at his mansion, Austin headed straight for his study.

As he sat in his armchair, he took out the paper from his pocket and stared at it again. An awkward smile slowly spread across his face. As smiling felt so unfamiliar to him, he was instantly aware of it, so he buried his face in one palm with his elbow on the table while the other hand still held onto the paper.

How pathetic have I gotten? Feeling so happy over receiving something so... small. And why?

If he had not covered his mouth at that moment at the door, he would have smiled in front of everyone. Seeing the reaction of his butler who had only been acting out of paranoia, he did not doubt that it would be worse for Eva if people got to know of his incomprehensible feelings for her. People could overlook Esmeralda's actions by blaming it on her nature as a woman. There was no other way to excuse his behaviour and feelings besides degrading Eva's worth and that was not what he wanted.

I am right to not pursue this matter that eludes my understanding... I can't let any feelings for her develop.

He took a hard look at the paper in his hand. The bin was right by his table. All he had to do was to reach over and drop the paper in. 

After a long while, he finally stretched out his hand and let go of the paper.

The paper laid nicely on his table under a plain glass paper weight, in front of a brown photo frame that held a picture of his parents.

 

Another month passed by and Eva was with the usual people, except that they were now taking a stroll around Austin's large garden. This was something that never happened with Austin before. What was more unusual was that this was something he proposed, so everyone's spirits were slightly higher than normal, except for Eva. She remained a little suspicious about the meaning behind this sudden change in setting.

Unbeknownst to everyone, Austin's butler had tried to make amends by actively researching about ways a man could woo a woman then proposing the better ones to Austin. One of such ideas was to have a romantic walk around the park or garden and talk about topics that would build their intimacy. Austin felt that there was no harm doing something that Eva might enjoy. The butler was confused about why Austin proposed it as a group activity instead of keeping it intimate but dared not question him.

He's still looking at you. BaoBao informed Eva. He had said the same thing when they just began their walk in the garden. Perhaps this whole plan was so he could secretly gaze at you without looking weird~ 

BaoBao got ready to be reprimanded for being cheeky again 

... You really think so?  Eva has already pegged the familiar soul as eccentric, so she was quite open to interpretations. After all, according to BaoBao, he did nothing else besides repeatedly stealing glances at her. Since he was not studying Briana, it was less likely that this was part of some suspicious ploy of his.

BaoBao got a little thrown off then pouted. Her resistant reactions were more entertaining for him. Don't you think you adapt a little too fast?

They finally reached the small white gazebo that had a fence with pretty climbing plants surrounding it. Everyone carried on their conversations over a cup of cold tea that Austin's butler had been carrying. The only one left standing was Austin's butler. The other attendants have naturally taken a seat on the benches circling the gazebo. 

"Why don't you take a seat too?" Esmeralda suddenly asked. 

"I'm fine wi-" Austin's butler replied without missing a beat. 

"Edwin, go sit." Austin interrupted. 

Now his butler had no choice but to obey. He assumed the seat that was directly behind Austin and sat there silently, slightly apart from the others. 

Tsk, I never knew that he was this unfriendly. Austin had intended for Edwin to engage Dylan's butler in a conversation so that he would stop associating with Eva.

He's still looking~ Oh actually, it's a glare now. How does no one notice it? BaoBao kept up his commentary, knowing that Eva could easily multitask and handle the simple questions being directed to her right now.

Dylan's and Saddie's attendants preferred talking to Eva. They found it hard to interact with Briana because of her standoffish nature. However, without Briana's help in interpreting and reading Eva's responses, they could only ask her simpler questions. 

Saddie who often kept her eyes on Austin, has noticed that Austin seemed unhappy for quite a while. "Austin, is something wrong?"

Oh, so someone did notice.

"Just something small." He then turned his head to look at Edwin. Edwin responded immediately by going forward only to be greeted with an insult.

"Why're you being such a loner?"

"Huh?" It sounded a little ironic to Edwin when Austin himself would not have any real friends if not for his childhood friends' efforts in keeping in contact with him. However, he could never say that to Austin. 

"Go talk with the others. Seeing you sit there alone is disturbing."

"O- Okay." Edwin went back and uncomfortably sat beside Dylan's butler. Even if they were all servants, the masters they served were of different standings. The identity of their masters gave the servants some pride they felt they deserved. But if he had to interact with them, he would still prefer to interact with males to females.

Austin finally eased up as his butler did as he expected. 

"I didn't realise you cared about people like them too." Saddie remarked.

"Not really. It just disturbed me." He shrugged lightly.

Saddie giggled thinking that he was just bashful about admitting it.

Before they started questioning him about it, Austin quickly redirected the conversation to knowing about their daily activities and their interests. He subtly fished out any information he could get about Eva and the kind of books she read with Esmeralda. 

He was already planning for their next meeting, which was yet another proposal by his butler.

After an hour passed, Esmeralda and her entourage stood up to leave. Just then, Austin caught sight of Dylan's butler removing a leaf off of Eva's head. He gritted his teeth and his feet moved before he could process what he was doing. 

Everyone stared at him standing intimidatingly before the attendants and staring down hard at the butler.

"Ye- Yes, S- Sir...?"

 "I hope Edwin did not bore you." Austin managed to catch himself before he let anything slip. His sudden possessiveness had surprised himself as well.

"N- No, he certainly did not." Dylan's butler shook his head vigorously. 

Austin nodded then walked off to lead his guests out of the garden and back to where their carriages were waiting for them. 

Everyone looked at Austin's back with puzzled expressions. 

Was Austin always like this? Is he feeling okay? The same unspoken questions lingered on their minds as they made their way to the carriages.

Austin stared wistfully at the carriages driving off. Ah... I didn't manage to speak to her today.

On the other hand, BaoBao was lamenting. Awww~ I already can't wait to come back here. It's boring back at Esmeralda's place. Everyday you do the same boring brainless things...

Don't I already play some betting games with you to pass time? Oh well, I can't say I don't understand what you mean.

Can we just move here?

Keep dreaming BaoBao. 

You know, maybe one day we would~ It's him after all~

Don't blame me if your hopes get dashed. As for me, I'll just take things as they come.

 

Yet another month passed by. 

BaoBao had been counting down the days like an excited fanboy or a lovesick lover. Eva! Eva! Let's bet on what would happen today! I'm bored out of my miiiiiiind~

Can I clarify if the punishment world is for the host or does it apply to the system too?

I actually don't know. I don't hear much about how systems feel besides what works and what doesn't, and what's useful and what's not.

So you're an oddball?

I don't kn- Wait, is that a compliment or an insult?

Take it however you want. Eva covered her mouth and pretended to cough a little to hide the small grin she could not stop from showing on her face. 

Upon reaching Austin's mansion, Edwin welcomed them in then led them to a yet a different place. 

They entered a large cosy room on the ground floor. There were bookshelves that reached the ceiling which held a huge variety of books. It far exceeded the collection that Esmeralda's family has and awed all the guests.

Austin stood up from the burgundy couch that he was lounging in to welcome them in. 

"Woah... Since when were you a bookworm?" Esmeralda commented.

"Obviously the things he reads are to build his knowledge. He wouldn't stuff his head in fiction like you do." Saddie quipped.

"Hmm... There seems to be quite a fair bit of fiction books though..." Dylan pointed out after taking  a closer look at one of the bookshelf, making Saddie pout.

"Do you have more time on your hands recently? Last month, it's a walk in the garden, and now we're in your library." Esmeralda questioned.

"Sort of." Austin shrugged.

"Of course he doesn't have a lot of time on his hands, he's a busy man. You should just appreciate that he even set aside some time for us every month."

Esmeralda raised an eyebrow and folded her arms. "I didn't say that I don't appreciate it, but it looks like he's putting even more effort recently, don't you think?"

Saddie puffed up her cheeks in defiance as she did not know what else she could say since it was the truth. 

"Now now , girls, how about we ask Austin if there're any books he'd like to recommend to us?" Dylan eased the tension between them as usual.

Austin brought them to the different sections that they were interested in. 

Dylan chose to browse through everything and pick out anything that piqued his interest. 

Saddie chose a book about the history of fashion. 

Esmeralda was browsing through the section that held many different kinds of fiction books when she noticed that it was dominated by the genres that she liked a lot. "Are you a fan of these too?" She whispered while looking at Austin. She did not want to get Saddie into another one of her jealous fits. 

"I update my collection occasionally. These just happened to be part of the new batch. If you like it, I can give them to you." Austin replied offhandedly.

Lies! I knew what existed before and what changed. He didn't update his collection like he said, he only bought new books that Esmeralda and the others talked about during the last meeting! Most importantly~ BaoBao dragged it out as if to create a suspense for Eva. 

What is it? Eva asked just to humour him.

Most of the new additions are books that Esmeralda said she gave you to read~ BaoBao giggled.

Oh, oh, there's more. Remember the thank you note that you gave him 2 months ago? It's placed nicely on his study table with a pretty looking crystal used as a paper weight. You're right, he's really easily pleased. BaoBao giggled even more. Eva almost could not stop herself from rolling her eyes.

Nothing escapes my notice. BaoBao finally finished off proudly. 

Wow, aren't you reliable BaoBao. Let's get to business then, are there any books that could be good for me to read here?

While the conversation went on in Eva's mind, Esmeralda's eyes shone in response to Austin's offer. "Are you for real?"

When Austin nodded, she squealed in delight and grabbed a few. "I'll find something to give to you in return! Let me know if there's anything you want!" She then skipped away with the books in hand to let Dylan know of what happened. 

Esmeralda's excitement caught Saddie's attention so she went to Austin to find out what happened. 

After Austin repeated the same thing he had told Esmeralda, he immediately moved on to Briana and Eva. "I know that the two of you can read. Did anything catch your eye?"

Briana got carried away and picked out a fictional story about ninjas. However, Austin overlooked it as his attention was more on Eva. She was looking at the nonfiction books placed high on the bookshelf. It surprised him, he had intentionally rearranged the books such that the ones he thought that she would like would be within her reach. 

"Is there something you want up there?" He asked as he walked towards her. 

She looked at him and nodded. 

The unexpected eye contact caused his heart to jump and he tripped over his own foot. The servants and Saddie who were all near him jumped in shock to see him drop down so suddenly. Luckily, his fast reflexes saved him from a fall as he planted his foot firmly on the ground, and his quick thinking saved him from embarrassment as he picked out a random book from the lowest self before standing up again. 

"Esmeralda would probably like this." He turned around to pass it to Briana.

Briana nodded with understanding, while Saddie scowled in the background. He didn't only offer her books first, he even looked for books to give to her. Why does she get all the special treatment?!

On the other hand, BaoBao was rolling around in laughter. Tease him more, tease him more! Maybe you should try winking the next time!

I didn't do it intentionally. Eva felt a little bad for causing him to trip up, but she could not deny that that his huge reaction tickled her a little too. 

She was now fine with making eye contact with him because she already knew and accepted that fact that it was a familiar soul residing in Austin's body over the past two months. She was no longer anxious or disturbed about any odd feelings that may rise from looking at him.

Austin turned back to Eva and gazed into her eyes. He sighed inwardly as he felt his breath taken away. It just felt so right. "Which book did you want? I can help get it for you."

His voice sounded far too gentle that it was almost unrecognizable to Edwin. He cocked his head and frowned as he studied the weird peaceful expression that Austin had on his face right now. He itched to offer to be the one to take the book instead since it was unthinkable to have someone like Austin do it for a lowly servant, however, he did not dare to upset Austin once more.

Eva smiled very slightly and shook her head then pointed to herself to indicate that she'll do it by herself. Austin felt slightly disappointed but let her do so. Just as he thought to slide the ladder over, Edwin was already waiting behind him with the ladder. As such, it was his butler who ended up being the one to help hold the ladder steady while Eva climbed up to retrieve a botany book. 

He stared daggers at Edwin's back. He dares to take away my only pleasure.

Edwin felt the glare without needing to turn around to look. What did I do wrong now? He wailed inwardly.

5